Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2010, 12:55 pm

Does anyone here find themselves to be REALLY REALLY kind to animals? Not like just liking animals or even lobving animals, but to the point where you are affected even by an insect's wrongful death....or like going out of your way to help animals/ random insects....I know, weird question, but I thought I'd ask and hear your stories!

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 12:58 pm

Yes, I feel extremely well disposed towards my fellow creatures.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 1:50 pm

Yes; a secret indulge of him....peculiar you'd mention. I LOVE, adore, animals. In certain respects, I regard animals as if they are sacred, because they are. I've encountered animals that I consider as my ultimate protectors, because they are.

One time there was an errant dog in my neighborhood and someone I know called the number of the dog's tag and I waited for the nice dog's owner; I had a doggie guest! I prepared this dog a NICE meal of warmed tuna and other "doggie goodies," made sure he had the BEST blanket bed, and sit with him on the floor, petting him and asking him if he was OK. I told him I loved him, with sincerity. I told him I'd make sure he'd be home safely and that he could come visit anytime.

More instances too; if I had almost no money, I'd likely spend the last on a lost animal if I were aware. I feed pigeons nearby my place now and I'm very gentle with them and love to watch.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 2:02 pm

LabPet wrote:
. . . One time there was an errant dog in my neighborhood and someone I know called the number of the dog's tag and I waited for the nice dog's owner; I had a doggie guest! I prepared this dog a NICE meal of warmed tuna and other "doggie goodies," made sure he had the BEST blanket bed, and sit with him on the floor, petting him and asking him if he was OK. I told him I loved him, with sincerity. I told him I'd make sure he'd be home safely and that he could come visit anytime. . .

And animals appreciate kindness! Whereas people, for a variety of convoluted reasons, often do not.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 2:11 pm

I may kill an ant or a bee. Once in my absence a beehive occupied my kitchen. Some thousands bees. It was them or me. I tried to convince them to emigrate by mild means but to no avail. I had to recur to chemical weapons. I went out for some day and when I came back I found the floor covered by dead bees. A very disturbing sight. Same happened to me with ants and cockroaches.
Apart from this I cannot stand seing any form of violence or killing of animals. When I was a child. having no pets, I took sometimes a toad from the garden to sleep with me in my bed. The toads were surely not happy, bu it was affection on my part. I have been a vegan of and on all my life, and today I bought Foer's Eating Animals. I have not yet read it.
I don't like Temple Grandin for her involvement in slaughterhouses. even if she is convinced that cows go to heaven when they die (see Oliver Sacks's interview in An Anthropologist on Mars).
I appreciate Coetzee books on the subject of animals.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 2:11 pm

I used to rescue dogs.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 2:21 pm

In my flat's stairwell there are webs of spiders, I counted 52 spiders yesterday night. I understand many people hate spiders &/or find them creepy. I hope those spiders can stay safely and they harm no one. Somehow they belong, in my mind.

I can be too kind. Still, I am practical. I am all right with ethical use of animal resources (e.g. food, research) but I am respectful of those who are vegan and related.

When reading about elephant death rituals, I was struck by how intelligently they expressed their concept of life/death - they are profoundly compassionate, in their way. I think we have much to learn from animals - how to treat others.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 2:57 pm

I like animals and enjoy them, wouldn't be cruel to them and don't like to see them killed or harmed unnecessarily. I am okay with using them for food and research as long as it's done humanely. I only kill bugs if they're the stinging/biting kind...I sat on a yellow jacket when I was a kid and I have an aversion to all manner of stinging insects. I also have a horrible reaction to the goop that mosquitoes inject and so I kill them. We have spiders on our back porch and I leave them alone because they eat bugs, such as mosquitoes and moths, that could get into the house and bother us. (besides, their webs are cool to look at)

Last summer, I was driving to a meeting and the car in front of me stopped abruptly. At first I was really annoyed, but when I looked for why the driver stopped like that I saw a mother duck and about 8 baby ducklings trying to cross the road (it was 3 lanes going each way). The mother got up on the median strip but the babies were too small to manage it and they were stuck on the road and about to get splattered. So I put the car in park and got out and started picking up the babies...LOL. Fortunately this guy got out of his car and started to help me, so I didn't look like a total lunatic and we were able to get the babies across the road quickly before people started getting pissed!

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2010, 3:15 pm

I have a fear of biting/stinging insects, but I still won't kill a spider if I don't have to, because they're beneficial. And I feel terribly guilty if I sit on a lovebug or anything accidental like that.

But I'll still smash a mosquito in a heartbeat.

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2010, 3:20 pm

I actually hate spiders, but I saved one last night from death in my bathtub....It was a Daddy Longlegs....lol. I took it in a shoebox and let it go outside.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 3:22 pm

LabPet wrote:
In my flat's stairwell there are webs of spiders, I counted 52 spiders yesterday night. I understand many people hate spiders &/or find them creepy. I hope those spiders can stay safely and they harm no one. Somehow they belong, in my mind.

If there is no reason to get rid of the spiders, I wouldn't either. Besides, at least they take care of the mosquitoes.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 3:26 pm

Jono wrote:
LabPet wrote:

If there is no reason to get rid of the spiders, I wouldn't either. Besides, at least they take care of the mosquitoes.

^ :)

For the 4-legged animals - I can look into their eyes! I am not shy around animals at all and they are my instant comrades.

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2010, 3:29 pm

Meow101 wrote:
I like animals and enjoy them, wouldn't be cruel to them and don't like to see them killed or harmed unnecessarily. I am okay with using them for food and research as long as it's done humanely. I only kill bugs if they're the stinging/biting kind...I sat on a yellow jacket when I was a kid and I have an aversion to all manner of stinging insects. I also have a horrible reaction to the goop that mosquitoes inject and so I kill them. We have spiders on our back porch and I leave them alone because they eat bugs, such as mosquitoes and moths, that could get into the house and bother us. (besides, their webs are cool to look at)

Last summer, I was driving to a meeting and the car in front of me stopped abruptly. At first I was really annoyed, but when I looked for why the driver stopped like that I saw a mother duck and about 8 baby ducklings trying to cross the road (it was 3 lanes going each way). The mother got up on the median strip but the babies were too small to manage it and they were stuck on the road and about to get splattered. So I put the car in park and got out and started picking up the babies...LOL. Fortunately this guy got out of his car and started to help me, so I didn't look like a total lunatic and we were able to get the babies across the road quickly before people started getting pissed!

~Kate

AWWW That is the SWEETEST story!! ! =D I love hearing things like this. Makes me really happy and have faith in humanity. Thanks for sharing!

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 3:56 pm

All of my pet cats and dogs have been rescue animals for many years. I am firmly convinced that the average intelligence of cats and dogs is vastly higher than that of humans. Not that I rate the animals so highly, just place humans so low! I much prefer to spend time with animals rather than people. The animals treat me much better. They just want to do their thing and be left alone, the same as me.

Here is a quote from Henry Beston:

"We need a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals...
We Patronize them for incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken form so far below ourselves.
And therein we err, and greatly err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete,
gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings;
they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 4:42 pm

I absolutely LOVE animals, except for the ones that invade my body, like mosquitos. I don't like the idea of them feeding on my blood.

I love spiders and their webs, and I try to disturb them as little as possible. I have some spider webs in my place and my mom says I should get rid of them because she says it's "not esthetic", but I don't see why I should.

When I was about seven, I caught a black widow, brought it home to look at it for a while, and then released it back into the garden where I'd found it. When I told my dad about it, he was like, "why didn't you kill it?" :?

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 4:49 pm

Yes, when it is raining and the snails start crossing the sidewalk, I pick them up and return them to a safe place, usually getting myself soaking wet in the process.
I don't kill spiders, ants, bugs, etc. if I can avoid it. Also, I don't pick flowers or leaves out of trees and never buy cut flowers. It's kind of morbid for me, putting dead things around your house, even if they are 'just' plants.