Trouble keeping warm due to sensory issues

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

02 Oct 2010, 1:26 am

I live in Scotland (don't ask why: it's complicated and depressing) and therefore it's important to stay warm. If I don't want a heating bill of about £2000 from my amazingly inefficient and expensive electric heaters (which I don't), the obvious thing to do would be to wear layers. Unfortunately, I just can't wear layers to any useful degree. I've tried. All that happens is I become really irritable and tearful because I can't stand the dragging feeling of the layers of cloth, moving against each other. My concentration becomes even worse than usual and I can't wait to take them off again. I can wear a coat without too much annoyance, though I'm much happier and more comfortable without one.

I spend the rest of the year in a collection of long-sleeved sweatshirts, which I'm really attached to - however, in the winter they're just not warm enough by themselves. Added to which, I have Raynaud's Syndrome, and my toes and fingers turn white and go dead really easily, whether I attempt to wear layers or not. Gloves, scarves, hats and earmuffs all annoy me to death.

So, it seems that I can either be comfortable but freezing, or warmer but very angry and upset, and in either case my hands and face become painfully cold. The whole thing is a source of considerable unhappiness for me at this time of year :(. Does anyone else here have the same problem, and if so, what do you do about it? I tend to find myself clutching hot water bottles and hot cups of tea quite a lot. It's really quite depressing to realise that you actually look forward to going on a bus because it's heated.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 1:44 am

Is it just the layers bothering you or any thick clothing? I have a thick (but loose fitting) wool jumper and wool socks I wear around the house due to my bad circulation. Maybe a cardigan would be less confining?

I also make hot tea all the time and warm my hands clutching the cup :) Maybe you could try a hot water bottle - the kind they sell at Argos - for your feet or an electric blanket/pillow (it will use less electricity than a bad heater).

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 2:44 am

There are many products on the market designed to keep people warm in cold weather, which are not as cumbersome as layering and so on. They are usually made out of certain materials or have some type of heating device in them. For example there are battery powered heated socks.

You can check around online and with outdoor wear suppliers who market to mountaineers, backpackers, climbers, skiers and snowboarders.

You might also see about getting a gas heater or wood burning stove if possible.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 2:50 am

I live near San Francisco so it doesn't get extremely cold here, though it isn't tropical, either. I hate having lots of clothes piled on -- the pulling/twisting/restricting, though I think not quite as much as you. I usually end up with a thick coat on (old army jacket with a liner), or a thick robe, for around the house. It's like one big layer instead of a lot of smaller ones.

Or, if I'm going to be at the computer for a long stretch I usually have a blanket to wrap up in. And maybe a heating pad on my back.

In Japan, there's a thing called a kotatsu (link), which is basically (in modern times) a heat lamp under a low table that has a blanket 'skirt' on it. I actually don't like them much, since my feet end up too hot and my upper half stays too cold, but a lot of people are fine with them. You have to sit low to floor to use one, though.

If I won the lottery I'd look for somewhere tropical to live. (fat chance)

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 3:03 am

Can you just heat your bedroom, it shouldn't cost much just to heat one room? Or what about a "radiant" heater like a halogen heater which you point at you so they only heat you not the whole room or house.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 6:46 pm

I hope she's not frozen solid :?

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

03 Oct 2010, 7:09 pm

I'm not frozen solid - sorry for not replying yet. I'm all frazzled and stressed and emotional these past few days . . . I'm not sure why. I'll reply properly when I'm feeling better.

Thankyou, everyone, for all of the suggestions.