Seldom 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Never, Ever 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only in certain situations 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 59

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

02 Oct 2010, 3:45 am

Argh! This is one thing that really pisses me off about myself. I procrastinate stupidly, and the more work I have to do the more I procrastinate. Which means I end up digging my own hole, metaphorically. Maybe because I'm the sort of person who believes in rigid discipline though - if there is work to be done I think I have absolutely no excuse to be doing anything else even for a moment. Thus, if I stop for lunch, I beat myself up for procrastinating.
That and when I don't do as well at something as I expect, I always think if you'd started this weeks ago and not put it off, you'd have been prepared! Agh.

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2010, 5:24 am

authormum wrote:
So NT mom question here: I worry like hell about my son, who is a senior in HS and, has always had executive functioning issues, when he goes off to college next year because basically, although I've tried very hard to back off for the last few years to allow his own skills to develop, the bottom line is that between his school and me (he goes to a school for kids with LD's) he's had a lot of help with time management and assignment planning, although I still find him, despite my <strike>nagging</strike> gentle reminders, leaving things until the last possible minute because he'd rather be gaming and then rushing them instead of doing his best work.

How have you guys coped with that? Do you have tips I can give him? I've tried to train him with Google calendar, and would even splurge for an iPhone for him if I thought he would actually USE it for calendaring rather than just gaming.

I actually think Exec Dysfunction and procrastination are not the same things. Not sure how to give an explanation, so I'll give a personal example:

A) I have a chore to do, and when I go to do it, I run the process through my mind. Sometimes the process seems so complicated (even though it may not be) that I become overwhelmed and have to walk away. This is what I would call executive dysfunction.

B) I have a chore to do that I know will take all of 5 mins to complete, and I have hours to get it done. So I get online. That's procrastination. :)

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 5:33 am

I'm guilty!
I do the things in the last minute (Polish saying, it means that I do the things last day, quickly, nervous). When I should learn, everything is more interesting. I could spend all my day with my comp and I sometimes do.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 7:13 am

I definately procrastinate. I wish I would stop.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 4:09 pm

Are you kidding? I'm 60 and still waiting to fully leave home, get a job, form a significant relationship, have children and dump dialup. If it affects my immediate comfort I'll get to it right away, but if it's something that can be let slide a few more days, it slides forever. And it's just getting worse with age.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Oct 2010, 5:04 pm

Yes, I often procrastinate many things that need to be done. When I was in school, I often did assignments at the last minute. One thing I have noticed is that I often start a project/ or whatever, early, but then wait till the last minute to finish it. Luckily, I usually do well on these things.

Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2010, 5:56 pm

I've procrastinated my way through the two first years of medschool.
I'm worried..

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 6:23 pm

I'll do the poll later.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 5:58 am

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
I'll do the poll later.

I already did that joke :P

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2010, 6:23 am

Yeah. I always procrastinate. Doing things last minute is the only way I can get them done well.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 8:20 am

I'm procrastinating on my homework now and I hardly go on here!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 11:12 am

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone sometime, later on...

ruveyn

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 12:17 pm

Absolutely guilty, in fact, if it is something unpleasant, I will put it out of my mind a totally forget it. My wife calls it selective amnesia..

Speaking of procrastinating.. I promised you guys a post yesterday detailing how I was able to get past my cleaning block. I am still cleaning, but procrastinating on making the post because I'm not always very articulate and I want it to be perfect. (I also hadn't slept in 4 days, and while cleaning the "family room" I discovered a couch under the junk and fell asleep on it! Lol)

Take care guys! :wink:

labnjab
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2010, 11:01 pm

Procrastination should be my middle name. I do this all the time have for years. If something isnt on my routine I wait until the last minute to do it and sometimes I dont even do it at all. I often will start something and then never even finish it as well. I hate that I do it and so does everyone else I just cant help it.

Your Aspie score: 187 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
This keeps getting higher everytime I take it :/

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 11:05 pm

I used to be really bad about it, until I decided to do put some new principles in place.

I never ever procrastinate anymore.

I'll tell you how I cured myself sometime tomorrow.

Or the next day...

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...