Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 2:02 pm

I find myself in a really strange position. The tables are suddenly turned, and I don't know what to do. (More specifically, I know the *right* thing to do, and I just don't want to do it.)

I have to hire a few people for a temporary project at work. I'm reviewing resumes, conducting interviews, etc. When I get a resume that says graduate of Whatever University, member of Whatever Fraternity, played varsity football, basketball, and hockey, I'm like "see ya!" I want to hire the guy who comes in a total mess, shoes untied, shirt half untucked (but in whom I see a little bit of quirky genius) -- I'm sure you guys get the picture (no offense :D ). I'm finding it really hard not to "anti-discriminate" here!

Like I said, I know the *right* thing to do. Just wonder how you all would feel. Would you hire the guy or girl that picked on you mercilessly in junior high???

And it was all for the want of a nail.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 2:06 pm

Whether or not what you're doing is right depends on the reason you're doing it. It's not always the case that univerity graduates are best for a job, and that's what you're doing - choosing the best person for the job.

You shouldn't let personal things get into it, though. So if you're doing it because you have a bias towards certain people, it could be considered the wrong thing to do.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 2:39 pm

Yeah, it's all about whether the frat boy is better for the job than the guy with the untied shoes.

To more generally answer the question; there are many NT people I really like. I appreciate NT quirks though I don't always understand them. I'm sure NTs have their place in society, just like we do.

Yasmine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Nov 2010, 5:11 pm

Not all people who play sports or look NT to you pick on people...

And for the record I come off as NT to most people, I'm still Aspie. I'm just really good at pretending.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 5:28 pm

Hire whoever will fit better and get the job done. If that's a geek, hire a geek. If that's a cheerleader, hire a cheerleader.

eg.
high-volume fashion salesperson : cheerleader may fit better

forensic accountant: serious, detail-oriented person may fit better (and doesn't have to have their shirt tucked).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 5:40 pm

I would never discriminate against a NT. If I hired someone who bullied me in school, I can always fire them if they are not nice to me on the job. But if their job if more important, I am sure they won't give me any trouble.

Are you a supervisor or something who can also fire people?

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 5:53 pm

Perhaps. I probably already do already, I pretty much discrimate everyone who I don't know and if they prove themselves to be as*holes, I will continue to discrimate them. If I had a job opening and a former school bully applied for the job, I would turn them down and let them know why. Maybe if they had been nicer to me in the past.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2010, 6:39 pm

Would I hire the kid who picked on me mercilessly in junior high? I would if his application and interview were better than the rest and he was more fit for the job than the rest. As League_Girl said, I can always fire him if he's a jerk at the office. Insubordination is a firable offense, you know.

However, when I start my own MMA promotion, I have my doubts that the kid who bullied me in junior high could handle the work. ;)

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 7:04 pm

RainingRoses wrote:
Would you hire the guy or girl that picked on you mercilessly in junior high???

You guys are taking my original question a bit too literally. (My fault.) I'm just assuming -- maybe not fairly -- that a guy who became president of his fraternity and played on three varsity sports probably made the life of someone like me or you pretty miserable at some point. I'm not suggesting that someone specific who bullied me in junior high has now come to me for a job. My point is that this guy probably bullied one of the 41,313 (as of 7:05 EST) of you. And that pisses me off. No, probably not enough not to hire him. But still...

To answer a couple of questions hanging out there: yes, I have the "power" (for lack of a better word) to fire these people; and insubordination is not necessary -- if you're in the U.S., then it's very likely that you work "at will" meaning that you can be fired for no reason at all.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 7:33 pm

An eye for an eye...

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2010, 7:41 pm

lol Awsome give them hell

GaijinRanger
Raven
Raven

09 Nov 2010, 7:46 pm

You're looking for the underdog with the idea that the underdog is a 'diamond in the rough'. I'm an underdog if I ever knew one, and I know I'm capable of much more than what I've already demonstrated.

Cute concept. I hope it works out well for you.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 7:52 pm

GaijinRanger wrote:
I know I'm capable of much more than what I've already demonstrated.

And maybe much more than you've been given a chance to demonstrate? In the end, that's kinda what I'm getting at.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 8:02 pm

RainingRoses wrote:
You guys are taking my original question a bit too literally. (My fault.) I'm just assuming -- maybe not fairly -- that a guy who became president of his fraternity and played on three varsity sports probably made the life of someone like me or you pretty miserable at some point. I'm not suggesting that someone specific who bullied me in junior high has now come to me for a job. My point is that this guy probably bullied one of the 41,313 (as of 7:05 EST) of you. And that pisses me off. No, probably not enough not to hire him. But still...

I'm not clear on whether this person we are talking about actually exists or if he is a hypothetical character.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 8:08 pm

I would hardly discriminate against NTs. I am married to one and most of my children and grandchildren are NT.

ruveyn

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 8:21 pm

I personally wouldn't, because NTs have discriminated against me my entire life. Why would I want to do that to them, remembering how much it hurt me in the past, when they were doing that to me?