I need to vent and I wish I had talked sooner

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Cozy_Calm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Oct 2010, 1:29 pm

I hadn't realized how ticked I was. I posted on another thread about one of my competitors that was inflaming. But, I'm tired of being bullied.

My main thing is to be accepted whether others like it or not. Okay, not that extreme, but having autism has its "challenges and its gifts"--to put it politically correctly.

I was in the local newspaper today, and I recommended the Autism Society of Minnesota because they are interested in people, not a cure. Yes, that is my stance. Here is what I wrote to Jane at AUSM:

Quote:
Jane,

Below is a link to an article written about me and my autism. I recommended that people go to you folks because you are people-focused, not "cure"-focused. (I don't want to be cured because I'm fine the way I am.)

With my publicist in New York, I have more than one focus. 1. To put food on the table, she promotes my weighted blankets. 2. It's my personal mission to promote, yes, autism awareness, but importantly, autism acceptance. Sun Newspapers
--
Eileen Parker
Cozy Calm
www.cozycalm.com

Yes, I don't want to be cured. I'm finally happy to be me, and I'm fed up with soooooo many people looking at me weirdly after I have done, said, worn, or not looked, or something else "not normal."

I'm at the verge of tears because it's been a rough social day. I'm going to start coming her to WrongPlanet so I don't feel so darned alone. I mean, I have a fantastic spouse, children, and family, but only two of them have an ASD so it's not quite the same. They love me even though I have autism.

I really, really appreciate that you are listening.

Eileen.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.cozycalm.com">Cozy Calm Weighted Blankets</a>

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 2:19 pm

I am really glad you're here. Welcome.

Cozy_Calm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Oct 2010, 2:25 pm

Thank you, thank you so much for listening.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.cozycalm.com">Cozy Calm Weighted Blankets</a>

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 2:27 pm

I hear you sister. Hopefully in a few years most of society will wake to autism. Welcome to WP

Cozy_Calm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Oct 2010, 2:45 pm

Surfman,

I was worried that by talking about how I feel that I would alienate people, but apparently that's not true. Thank you.

When I was dating my then future husband, and I realized that he was knowing "me," not the visualized "Eileen," I got sad because I thought he would leave me because I was, well, different. Instead, he took me to the south of France.

I am madly in love still, and apparently, he loves me too. Acceptance is a beautiful thing. I appreciate how beautiful it is because I haven't had that in the decades before.

Eileen.

websister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2010, 4:35 pm

There are definitely rough social days.
On those days I find that it is hard for me to find perspective - either everything is wonderful or everything is terrible. I have a hard time being objective on those days.
I'm glad you have a wonderful family and acceptance from your husband. I agree that acceptance is a beautiful thing.
I hope that society in general, including the autism society can move towards acceptance rather than being so focused on "cure".