Homeopathic remedies for ADHD or BiPolar II

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 12:03 pm

I am wondering if anyone has used homeopathic remedies for certain difficulties. I am primarily looking into things that may have helped with ADHD or BiPolar II disorders. My step son has one or the other, and he does not like medication. I was wondering if there was somthing homeopathic that has worked for you that may help him.

If there is something that you DON"T like, please let me know that too.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 12:06 pm

This is my opinion only, but homeopathy is voodoo, not science. Any positive results from homeopathic remedies have never been replicated in controlled experiments and as such are usually attributed to the placebo affect.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 12:16 pm

Homeopathic remedies for bipolar disorder have a dismal success rate. His best bet is to learn to tolerate side effects of lower doses of some meds.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 1:25 pm

homeopathy is not medicine.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 1:34 pm

You're kidding, right? Homeopathy may tap into the placebo effect, but so do therapies that are more than just water! Pick something that's got a chance of being better than placebo, at the very least.

The best I can tell is that you probably don't know what homeopathy actually is... Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

So, yeah, it's basically water with some voodoo mixed in.

Now, if you're asking for non-chemical treatments for ADHD or bipolar, then that'd make more sense; I guess it's possible you mixed up "homeopathic" with "non-chemical". While ingesting various medicinal chemicals--from caffeine to lithium--is a useful approach to both ADHD and bipolar, there are lots of approaches that have nothing to do with taking either mainstream or alternative-medicine chemicals--lifestyle changes, coping strategies, education, coaching, therapy. In the case of bipolar disorder they're usually used in addition to medication; for ADHD, they can sometimes be a substitute. Either way, there's more to treatment for both those things than just medications/supplements/etc.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

The_Dude
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2010, 1:42 pm

The trouble with homeopathic remedies is the weaker they are the stronger the effect. Forgetting to take such medication could result in a fatal overdose...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 1:44 pm

*groan* :roll:

And, of course, we're all homeopathically ingesting water from each others' toilets... thankfully it's not diluted nearly as much as the average homeopathic remedy, so we're safe! Whew!

Autism Memorial:

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 1:57 pm

The Queen mother swore by homoeopathy.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 2:03 pm

You can't hold it against her. Plenty of people are superstitious like that.

Autism Memorial:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 2:08 pm

Homepoathy is a load of shite, you don't need to be a medical buff to know that.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 2:15 pm

I tried various homeopathic and alternative medicines for my bipolar condition (this was before my diagnoses, but I knew something was desperately wrong, and followed the advice of various "gurus," none of whom spotted what was actually wrong with me.) Of these "remedies" St John's Wort, which is actually affective in unipolar depression, sent me into a manic and destructive spiral, while others did nothing at all. The only thing which ever worked was Quetiapine for the psychoses and mania and Lamotrigine as a mood stabiliser. (Respiridone was initially helpful for the psychoses, but I had to come off it because of the side effects. Some people are fine on it.) It took just over six months for them to figure out what worked for me, but once they did my life was transformed.

I'm not a kneejerk reactionary, I'm not anti alternative thinking on many issues. But when it comes to a serious mental health condition like bipolar disorder all I can say is, the medication saved me. Didn't necessarily save my life (I don't know that I'd have definitely killed myself without them) but they have given me my life back. I have a relationship with my family again, I am sorting out the financial mess I wound up in after my last dreadful mania, I can keep a roof over my head, and my son and I are safe, healthy and happy.

Alternative medicine was no help at all... in fact it allowed me to continue in destructive denial for years, instead of getting the help I needed.

DrS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2010, 2:15 pm

The Dude makes a very valid point about the danger we all face. And what about the homeopathic remedies that get down the drain and then, after considerable dilution, enter the water supply? These potent potions portent peril!

http://xkcd.com/765/

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 3:08 pm

Drinking their own urine as a homeopathic treatment.

Google urine therapy ...

Oh the ignorance.....

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 3:17 pm

Surfman wrote:
The Queen mother swore by homoeopathy.

Yeah and she's dead. :D

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 3:48 pm

Let me start by giving you the reason that I asked this question in the first place.

I know NOTHING about homeopathic remedies and have no personal interest in them (which is why I may be confused as to the definitions of "homeopathic", as opposed to "non-medical" :roll: ), which is why I am asking if there is anything that may have helped you. My step son is pretty much raised by his mother. He has tried medication, but he feels the side effects are worse than the condition itself so he won't take them. He wants to learn how to cope, but his mother and his (her) "shrink" tells him that there is nothing he can do except medication. My personal opinion is that medication should only be taken if you can't function without it, and it should not be the first line of defense, or the only one. I have given him advice on many things he can do that have nothing to do with meds but my opinion goes against his mother, stepfather and my own husband. I don't know if he takes my advice or not, I don't see him often enough to know.

This is the issue: His mother is the kind of person that wants to stick a pill down your throat and fix you and call it a day. It's easy, she feels like a good mother for trying...blah blah. I have tried to educate her, give her suggestions on books to read, sent her websites on how to educate herself on what you can do for your child other than take a pill. She wants to give him a pill. She won't listen to me. He won't take medication. She is very into homeopathic stuff and that is her approach right now. I don't agree, but if there is any way that I can help him through her I am willing to give it a try. If there is nothing that has helped any of you then I have nothing in that area to offer, or if you tried some things and it at least helped a little, then maybe I can do SOMETHING for him. Until he reaches out to me I can't do anything for him. Unfortunately, I can't get his mother out of the picture, and he listens to her.

Thanks Everyone!

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 3:52 pm

Seems many here have a narrow view of acceptable treatments....

In Roman times, there was a tradition among the Gauls to use urine to whiten teeth. A famous poem by the Roman poet Catullus, criticizing a Gaul named Egnatius, reads:[7][8]
“ Egnatius, because he has snow-white teeth, / smiles all the time. If you're a defendant / in court, when the counsel draws tears, / he smiles: if you're in grief at the pyre / of pious sons, the lone lorn mother weeping, / he smiles. Whatever it is, wherever it is, / whatever he's doing, he smiles: he's got a disease, / neither polite, I would say, nor charming. / So a reminder to you, from me, good Egnatius./ If you were a Sabine or Tiburtine / or a fat Umbrian, or plump Etruscan, / or dark toothy Lanuvian, or from north of the Po, / and I'll mention my own Veronese too, / or whoever else clean their teeth religiously, / I’d still not want you to smile all the time: / there’s nothing more foolish than foolishly smiling. / Now you’re Spanish: in the country of Spain / what each man pisses, he’s used to brushing / his teeth and red gums with, every morning, / so the fact that your teeth are so polished / just shows you’re the more full of piss./ ”
[edit] India

A religious Sanskrit text called the Damar Tantra contains 107 stanzas on the benefits of "pure water, or one's own urine".[9] In this text, urine therapy is referred to as Sivambu Kalpa,[9]. This ancient Indian text suggests, among other uses and prescriptions, massaging one's skin with fresh, concentrated urine. In the Indian ayurvedic tradition, urine therapy may be called amaroli.
[edit] Religious
[edit] Biblical reference

Some advocates believe that the Bible recommends urine therapy. A verse in Proverbs (Proverbs 5:15) advises: "Drink waters from thy own cistern, flowing water from thy own well."[10] However, subsequent verses deal with warnings against adultery, commanding the husband to stay with his wife and not pursue other women, hence a likely interpretation of this verse is that of a literary device or analogy.[11]
[edit] Islam

In Sunni Islam, the Sahih Bukhari, which forms one of the six major Hadith collections quotes the Prophet Muhammad advocating drinking camel's urine as a medicine in several verses.[1