Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2012, 11:58 pm

Well, darn. :(

I'm so frustrated I could use a more serious kind of an expletive, but that'll do. I have so much stuff due, about three essays to write, and the dreaded maths work looming over my shoulder. But I've gotten lost here and everywhere else again.

I just get caught in a distracted spiral and it takes me ages to realise that I am, by which point it's gotten ridiculous and I get annoyed at myself. I have a feeling that's got to be at least partially related to my AS — just getting so focused on something you forget about everything else. I'd disconnect the internet, but I need it for research. Methinks I have to try and draw a line where I work at one time, mess about with other stuff at another time.

Anybody have any strategies for productivity and suchlike, and pulling themselves out of these silly loop-de-loops of distractions?

And yeah, I'm logging off for now. :P I'll check replies once I've actually got stuff done. Goal for this afternoon: FINISH THE BLOOMIN' SOCIOLOGY ESSAY. :mrgreen:

It was tense.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 1:12 am

Step one: turn off computer or ANY other way of accessing this website or any other website you like to frequent.

Step two: don't post on here when you need to get stuff done (almost impossible).

Step three: go to a place where you CANNOT be distracted. PERIOD.

Step four: proceed with assignments, and get them done in a timely fashion.

Step five: let me know if you actually got anything done. :p

I have THESE same problems. I can never get stuff started because I keep getting distracted with everything else. Even if it's ridiculously stupid reason, I can't get motivated enough to get my work done. I have finally been able to once I moved every distraction possible (MOSTLY) away from me.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 1:16 am

Inyanook wrote:
Anybody have any strategies for productivity and suchlike, and pulling themselves out of these silly loop-de-loops of distractions?

Try an egg timer set for 15 mins to snap you out of it, maybe. There's also free software with stopwatch/alarm functions, I use one called TimeLeft, you can use a custom wav file (like an air-raid siren, since it's not so jolting, but still conveys alertness). I use this for when I'm exhausted, but it might work for distraction too.

I'm presuming you need internet access. If not there's an easier answer, just shut the cable modem (or whatever) down til you're finished.

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2012, 4:55 am

Goal = complete! :D

Yes, unfortunately internet access is pretty vital. I need to be able to get into databases and research on the fly.

The timer suggestion is pretty interesting! I might have to try that one tomorrow.

It was tense.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 7:43 am

I would never get anything done without my timers and alarms.

I use a timer for helping me get started on something if I've been procrastinating - I tell myself u only need to do it for 10 minutes so I set the timer or that long and by the time it goes off I'm often well into what I was previously procrastinating about.

If it something that will take a while and I'm likely to get distracted (always!) I use an alarmed post-it note with that something typed on which pops up every 30 minutes to remind me what I'm supposed to be doing (which helps me to realise if I've been distracted).

I also use one of those nanny type plugins for my web browser during the time i'm supposes to be doing something to stop me visiting certain sites that I know I have a tendency to get caught up in.

I have a series of reminders on my phone which remind me to do stuff that needs doing when I'm away from the computer ...

Yes, I'm a timer-holic... But it works for me. I'd never get anyhing done otherwise.

coconapple
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2012, 2:27 pm

There is software to block distracting websites when you need to work.
Like this: http://visitsteve.com/made/selfcontrol/ (if you don't have a Mac, it lists alternate software, scroll down).

You can also make your own blacklist without software by editing your computer's hosts file. http://www.ehow.com/how_4853224_block-a ... bsite.html
(Sorry I can't explain how to to it on windows, I use Linux)

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 3:19 am

I'm familiar with this problem. I've lost many hours of potential study time to YouTube poop. All I can say is I get to the point where I'm angry and disappointed enough with myself that I just sit down and make a timetable for that day's study. I include 1hr free time on the net but, and this is really important, you need to have the discipline to do the work first before you get the reward then not go over the allotted free time!
As well as getting angry enough with myself to want to change I find that anxiety led study is really bad for you. I think that's one of the things that held me back in the past. It's ironic but if you just get stuck in and do it one day at a time, one hour at a time, before you know it you'll be nearly finished your work and you'll wonder why you were procrastinating in the first place. Hope that helps!

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2012, 3:57 am

I'll definitely try out that software, coconapple; I do own a mac.

Makes a lot of sense, Dan. I often end up with anxiety hanging over me, and it's really not fun. Hopefully that'll end up eliminated as I alter the way I study. :)

It was tense.