Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 3:10 am

FWIW, I've realized tonight that for the past three years I've not been bullied one single time at work - isn't that simply awesome! I was thinking about it more in depth and realized that I'm definitely the odd guy at work, but I'm also the go-to-guy for everything which means that people are depending on me for certain things, so despite all my shortcomings, people seem more willing to give me a pass on my personality.

Is this an advantage or a liability? I don't know.

I think back to the 2000-2003 time period when I worked in a grocery store as a second shift stocker with dozens of other people. It was a much different environment there. I was the butt of most the jokes at the place and I had to fight for every hour of work I was assigned when the "favorites" would constantly get assigned 32 or even 40 hours of work a week even though my attendance record and job performance far exceeded them.

Still, it was around that time, especially in 2003 that I started to become aware of my aspie tendencies from complaints by customers and those comments made by my co-workers, even though I had no idea at the time was aspergers was, but by the time I did find out in June of 2004, I was back on overnights and away from that environment so I hadn't a chance put anything I learned into action, but since then I've worked to curb some of the aspie tendencies I have at work so maybe I wasn't as annoying as before.

But to me is seems that for us to be in our own individual environments that suits us best is something that will work to our advantage.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 3:35 am

Choosing what we want to do, and where to be when doing it.

I think being self employed is ideal for aspies.

Having a 'job' with a boss and co workers appeals little to me, much like my experience of trying to 'fit in' at school.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 8:21 am

It can be both! The good side is that you are unlikely to be the first one fired, if they need to downsize or lay off workers. The bad side is that you may get an unfair share of work, or get asked to do stuff that you aren't even qualified to do. Some people will ask for more and more until you say no. But, in a good work situation, you can end up doing the stuff that is easy for you (but hard for everyone else) and others doing the stuff you would rather not do (but easy for them).