Anyone else feel embarrassed/ashamed after a meltdown?

Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

t.g.skill
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2017, 2:08 am

Pieplup wrote:
Me personally. I've always tried to keep it down till it gets up but sometimes it overwhelms me. Sometimes I just can't control it. Specifically certain things seem to always be causin it. But Sometimes those causes are just too strong. The only times I can't control an immediate meltdown is if it is just a something that triggers negative emotions or reactions which happens sometimes. There are sometimes you just can't control it. Now for the most part I can control one that is caused by normal life. but non-normal life not so much... I don't really feel ashamed tho. I rarely feel embarressed and it's almost always in retrospect. It's hard for me to feel emotion in the first place. It has to be rather major emotions for me to feel them at all. I can analyze my emotions through my actions tho. It works sometimes...

it's the same for me,i'm really cold and really i don't feel emotions and people tend to make me notice me about how cold and insensitive i am and that doesn't bother me,but the fact that sometimes i can't control my anger and frustration turning into tears really makes me mad because it makes me look like a child and people would suspect that i'm cold but with deeper issues inside me where there's nothing wrong in my life,it's just my natural reaction to anger and frustration,btw i can't blame them because no one think that i have autism,they know that i am strange and they tell me but not to this point.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 4:13 am

Same here. I have meltdowns on a regular basis, a couple of times a day especially at work. I ALWAYS feel embarrassed and pray to God that no one saw me acting out and self-harming. Ugh... the self-harming... These meltdowns always involve extreme anger and frustration due to over-stimulation. I always feel like I've brought down my family, even though my family isn't around. Also I feel so ashamed that I could not control myself nor the terrible thoughts that I have during these uncontrollable fits of crazy-person rage and self-harm.

Sometimes, very rarely, I can actually go a whole day without a meltdown and I've always so thankful to Jesus that I had a "good day". And as we all know, a "good day" for an Aspie is a far more weighty, lengthy and meaningful event than for an NT.

My meltdowns came to a head in 2010 when I was 34, and I experienced a myocardial infarction (heart attack) due to a panic attack after the meltdown I had the previous night. Panic attacks and meltdowns have been a regular problem for me since I was very young. I'm 42 now. I started taking Rimeron aka Mirtazapine, as a stop-gap measure but had to stop because I keep getting fired from my jobs thanks to meltdowns and I can't maintain a proper medical drug plan. I'm not sure how long I can maintain my sanity without proper drug assistance.

My worst meltdowns occur when I hear a crying child. This will cause an EXTREME reaction. I will immediately display utter anguish and pain on my face, I will start crying like a baby, I will cover my ears with my hands and make a noise with my voice to block the sound, and I will enter bolt mode and exit the area. This is a very traumatic event for me, I will be upset for several hours afterwards and, I will think about it several days later and re-live the experience all over again. Because of this, I usually become anxious whenever children enter my area within approx. 30 feet.

Thank-you all here for sharing your embarrassment and shame after meltdowns as I feel those emotions very strongly too.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 8:44 am

Yes. Right now, I'm really ashamed of myself after something that happened this weekend. I am worried that I won't have any friends left. So far, that hasn't happened, but I am really hating myself.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 12:20 pm

No, I try to just move on from it.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 3:06 pm

t.g.skill wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
Me personally. I've always tried to keep it down till it gets up but sometimes it overwhelms me. Sometimes I just can't control it. Specifically certain things seem to always be causin it. But Sometimes those causes are just too strong. The only times I can't control an immediate meltdown is if it is just a something that triggers negative emotions or reactions which happens sometimes. There are sometimes you just can't control it. Now for the most part I can control one that is caused by normal life. but non-normal life not so much... I don't really feel ashamed tho. I rarely feel embarressed and it's almost always in retrospect. It's hard for me to feel emotion in the first place. It has to be rather major emotions for me to feel them at all. I can analyze my emotions through my actions tho. It works sometimes...

it's the same for me,i'm really cold and really i don't feel emotions and people tend to make me notice me about how cold and insensitive i am and that doesn't bother me,but the fact that sometimes i can't control my anger and frustration turning into tears really makes me mad because it makes me look like a child and people would suspect that i'm cold but with deeper issues inside me where there's nothing wrong in my life,it's just my natural reaction to anger and frustration,btw i can't blame them because no one think that i have autism,they know that i am strange and they tell me but not to this point.
I understood it up to the point what point? [/color]

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 4:01 pm

Yes, I do.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 4:16 pm

I do, especially if it's for a reason that most people would find trivial. Fortunately I can often hold it off until it turns into a shutdown instead, which it seems like people don't even notice because I'm usually so quiet and withdrawn anyway. I really hate when I get the crying kind, which I can't hold off, in front of others - it draws attention I don't want and makes me look weak and fragile, which is the opposite of how I want people to treat me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

shilohmm
Raven
Raven

23 Oct 2017, 6:05 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I do, especially if it's for a reason that most people would find trivial. Fortunately I can often hold it off until it turns into a shutdown instead, which it seems like people don't even notice because I'm usually so quiet and withdrawn anyway. I really hate when I get the crying kind, which I can't hold off, in front of others - it draws attention I don't want and makes me look weak and fragile, which is the opposite of how I want people to treat me.

Yes to all this. I mostly manage to hold off or shift things into a shutdown, but the times I've lost it with witnesses I always hate it. One of my triggers is something most people find outright stupid, but it's situation-specific enough for the most part it only happens if people who already know about it are around.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 8:10 am

I was punished for meltdowns (which only escalated them). So I guess so.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 8:13 am

Yes. A meltdown is totally out of character for me. I wish I could leave the area. I never do return to several geographical areas where I've had traumas.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 8:27 am

Sometimes.

ShaggyPlays
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2017, 10:54 pm

Although I have panic meltdowns on occasion I wouldn't really call what I get meltdowns as much as I would call them episodes I guess. Basically when I get put in a stressful situation I get really nauseous and wretch. I am extremely loud when this happens and I am both ashamed and embarrassed. Part of the reason I suffer from depression is because of how I react to anxiety. I had to take college classes online because I couldn't leave the house, even now that I have graduated college I still can't leave the house and I have no clue how I am going to find a job or make any kind of money when I can't go outside without vomiting.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 3:43 pm

ShaggyPlays wrote:
Although I have panic meltdowns on occasion I wouldn't really call what I get meltdowns as much as I would call them episodes I guess. Basically when I get put in a stressful situation I get really nauseous and wretch. I am extremely loud when this happens and I am both ashamed and embarrassed. Part of the reason I suffer from depression is because of how I react to anxiety. I had to take college classes online because I couldn't leave the house, even now that I have graduated college I still can't leave the house and I have no clue how I am going to find a job or make any kind of money when I can't go outside without vomiting.

One approach would be to go outside by first opening the door and looking at it several times, and then venturing out a few paces, etc. A companion can help a lot if you have someone available. It is called progressive desensitization. One guy who had been homeless most of his life got into a panic when given a room of his own.
The other route is to work from home. One fellow I know repairs brass musical instruments and is doing fine, with a waiting list. If he wanted, he could do it all by mail and only deal with one music store clerk. If you answer an ad for "work from home" it will be piecework that will only pay minimum wage if you can mechanize it yourself. It might also be a total scam - don't pay for anything up front.

ShaggyPlays
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2017, 2:05 am

I do go out and no matter how much I leave the house I still have issues, I am a bit uncertain about working from home simply because every thing I have looked at in my area is either a scam or something I am unqualified to do.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 6:39 am

ShaggyPlays wrote:
I do go out and no matter how much I leave the house I still have issues, I am a bit uncertain about working from home simply because every thing I have looked at in my area is either a scam or something I am unqualified to do.

That's why I recommend self-employment. If you can do the work, you are qualified, and if you are in charge, you can sometimes make a comfortable living.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 7:21 am

Since I've been taking Sertraline I haven't had the meltdowns I used to have. When I used to have them, I would get so angry with myself, that I would hit myself in the face and head, as a way of ''punishing'' my brain for being wired this way. Also I would scream abuse at my family, and this understandably upset them. I felt like I was a crazy woman, and I didn't want my family to see me this way. Also the neighbours most probably heard me shouting, because my voice tends to carry when I'm frustrated, so that was embarrassing as well.

Having a panic attack and crying or perhaps arguing with family is not as embarrassing, as this goes on in most households, and a lot of non-Aspies have panic attacks, so I don't feel embarrassed about those either. I don't rock back and forth or go mute when having one of my panic attacks, I just struggle with breathing and verbally tell others how I'm feeling. Comfort from others helps me overcome my panic attacks the most, but being alone during a panic attack is horrible.