Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Which police officers treated you worse?
Male officers, and I'm male. 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Male officers, and I'm male. 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Male officers, and I'm female. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Male officers, and I'm female. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Female officers, and I'm male. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Female officers, and I'm male. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Female officers, and I'm female. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Female officers, and I'm female. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I've never dealt with the police. 26%  26%  [ 15 ]
I've never dealt with the police. 26%  26%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 58

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 12:55 pm

Read the question in the poll, vote, then post a comment if you wish.

Which police officers treated you worse?

If you haven't experienced all the scenarios, vote based on the stories you heard from your friends, around school or work, or from what you've seen on the streets. In either case, post the best answer.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 1:00 pm

I've never dealt with the police fortunately.

Conway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2006, 1:03 pm

I've only dealt with police once when I was attacked in a kebab shop. There were a few officers who turned up, of both genders. I don't think either of them treated me any better or worse than the other. I voted 'I've never dealt with the police.' because it was so long ago and I don't remember much about the officers who I spoke to.

Why do you ask, anyway?

Last edited by Conway on 02 Jun 2006, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmoney
Raven
Raven

02 Jun 2006, 1:07 pm

Male officers, and I'm male.

He had a right to though.

muddlinthrough
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2006, 1:32 pm

Not generally a gender thing. In the eighies the cops here had a habit- and this is confirmed by firends-of sort of stalking
activists, trying to get on our nerves. They don't do that so much now, but every once in a while you run into one who is a control freak The last one tried
to site us for suspending a banner between two trees for an hour-but the guy he handed the citation to was al awyer.
Big Mistake.

p.s. Definately, small ticks and nervice behavior can make them suspicious, even when there is nothing to be suspicious about.

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 1:57 pm

I've never had a problem with cops. They were usually convenient. When you're working at a fast food place frequented by cops, you don't have to worry too much about being robbed. Not to mention here in Georgia we have a history of setting off illegal fireworks. If I didn't have nice cops where I'm at, most of my friends would be in jail right now for allegedly making incendiary devices.
edit. There was one cop that tried to trick us one year into showing him illegal fireworks that he knew we allegedly had. I was insulted by the fact that he thought we were that stupid.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 2:52 pm

Well, I've actually had lots of contact with law enforcement. Most of my family is in (or retired from) law enforcement. Not to mention that was the career I initially chose. I worked as a police dispatcher before being hired as a police officer. At the time I sought my career, although I wasn't aware of AS I recognized all of the traits in myself, actively hiding those traits when I could.

Although this works really well when you only occasionally run into people, I'm sure my coworkers (like my friends) detected something amiss. They (cops) are more prone to key in on strange body language and lack of (or recognition of) social cues, but most overlook this sort of thing once they get to know you. In fact, I think they found it more endearing. It law enforcement, you come across a lot of strange personalities. Most recognize there is not necessarily a correlation between strange personality quirks and any sort of malevolent intent. In fact, some of the most dangerous encounters often occured with the most seemingly normal people.

The culture of a specific department can really affect things, but for the majority of police officers are pretty understanding, level headed people.

That being said, I've had more than a few encounters with coworkers in that field that, no matter how well I did my job, how polite or kind I was, they just keyed in on my aspie traits and almost always seemed to hate me no matter what I did -- these few were all male officers.

As far as contacts outside of work, I've strangely been pulled over a lot but I've had almost no tickets. In most these encounters I was treated well. The few I have had where the officer was a real a-hole, I don't think that had anything to do with my AS; They were either just an a-hole or they were probably just having a bad day (it happens to everybody).

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 2:57 pm

The police round our way are OK. I've only dealt with some police on the other side of the county, and they were complete a***holes (they came inside my house without knocking and proceeded to search the place). Best way is just to keep yourself out of trouble and stay out of their way, I think.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 3:01 pm

Tequila wrote:
I've only dealt with some police on the other side of the county, and they were complete a***holes (they came inside my house without knocking and proceeded to search the place). Best way is just to keep yourself out of trouble and stay out of their way, I think.

Yeah, that's why we have warrants here. :þ

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 3:21 pm

phoenixjsu wrote:
Yeah, that's why we have warrants here. :þ

They lied (about the door being open), and I didn't realise they were in the house until they were right there. I didn't hear them come in. This was a while back, anyroad.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 3:29 pm

We have a mix of good ones and bad ones here. I've never been in trouble with any thus far. The only bad one I personally dealt with was one of several who responded to a domestic disturbance at my daughter's-her boyfriend had become threatening to her. He went far out of his way to be rude and insulting to us, although we had only asked a simple and reasonable question. I called his seargeant to complain about it and the seargeant was very courteous. On another occasion, we had witnessed a murder and had to give a statement. The officers were very polite, although, on reading our statements, I noticed their writing skills were very poor, and that they had muddled some minor details. They were very kind though, and seemed as shaken by the event as we were.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 3:29 pm

Police have a lot of power, so when they don't behave well or violate their professional ethics they can cause alot of harm. The trouble is that the bad ones don't seem to realize their own power and the iinjustice that they can inflict with their power.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 5:42 pm

anandamide wrote:
The trouble is that the bad ones don't seem to realize their own power and the iinjustice that they can inflict with their power.

Um, I hate to point it out, but the bad ones completely realize the scope of their power, which is what makes them so bad. Fortunately, there aren't that many bad ones.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 8:24 pm

You missed a choice, Ohio Officers. They are the most corrupt anyone can find. Of course, their mayor's court system is corrupt too so they get away with it.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

jman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 8:36 pm

This is an incident i hate thinking about but this post made me think about it...

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder, one night I had a really bad episode. I became very enraged and suicidal, so my parents called the police because they were scared. Well i became even more upset by the fact that my dad has just called the cops on me that I pulled out a knife and put it up to my throat stating I was going to commit suicide. Well the first cop shows up, now keep in mind, the knife is pointed at my throat. What does this stupid as*hole do? He points a gun at me! Right in front of my lil 5 year old sister and in front of my dad. He didn't put the gun down until the other officer showed up and told him to. They handcuffed me and took me to the hospital, but the whole time the as*hole verbally abused me! :x

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 9:21 pm

ljbouchard wrote:
You missed a choice, Ohio Officers. They are the most corrupt anyone can find. Of course, their mayor's court system is corrupt too so they get away with it.

You know, I've actually heard that before. I can see what your are saying too. The system can really impact things. When I moved to Alabama from North Carolina I immediately realized how screwed up the system is here. The state legislature here sucks up all the money and tries to micromanage everything in the state (Local municipalities can't even raise their taxes or do certain other important things without the state legislature passing an ammendment to the state constitution to let them do it!! !). Corruption is horrid in this state. People get away with things here that they would never get away with in North Carolina.