Real = Internet (or similar) 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I don't have friends anywhere 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 37

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 9:58 am

Some of us feel much better in Net than IRL. I have problems to make friends IRL, but it's more easier to me to do it online. I prefer to write than talk and I don't care about any body language or eye contact. People see only my words and this nonverbal part almost disappears. It's great.

How about you? Maybe somebody has the same or thinks that making friends online is "worse" than IRL?

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 10:03 am

I think I got more friends online than I do IRL by miles, I tend to feel more comfortable when I'm talking to online friends but IRL it's just a different story, although I'm more talkative IRL to the point I just don't stop. :lol:

DeadpanDan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2010, 10:48 am

People have friends in person?

I'm out of touch with the world.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 11:15 am

The only friend I have offline (I don't like to call it real life because that means internet is fake life and I don't feel that way at all!) is my husband. He is not autistic but only has two friends - myself and another person. But that is because he is very disabled and it is difficult for him to leave the house.

Online I have several friends of varying levels of closeness. I feel much more comfortable interacting online.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 11:17 am

Valoyossa wrote:
Some of us feel much better in Net than IRL. I have problems to make friends IRL, but it's more easier to me to do it online. I prefer to write than talk and I don't care about any body language or eye contact. People see only my words and this nonverbal part almost disappears. It's great.

How about you? Maybe somebody has the same or thinks that making friends online is "worse" than IRL?

It very much depends on the definition of a 'friend'. I reserve the use of that word in a way that Facebook doesn't seem to understand. Where's the option to 'add acquaintances'?

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 11:23 am

Wow seems like I'm the first one to vote for real life. 8O

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 11:32 am

Definitely online.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 11:55 am

Dilbert wrote:

What is your secret to befriending?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

25 Oct 2010, 12:31 pm

i have more friends online

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:05 pm

Sparrowrose wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

I don't think there's a secret. I say hi to every familiar face. I talk to people and try to find more about them. Discover common interests, and then share them. Etc...

I'm no social butterfly. Far from it! :P But I try.

I'm an intriguing character and oftentimes fun to be around (when I'm not in one of my funk mood periods). I think some people (but not all) are drawn to me because they want to learn more.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:10 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

I don't think there's a secret. I say hi to every familiar face.

I fall down right there! I don't see familiar faces. I can only recognize people if I'm looking for them where I expect them to be and there aren't any other people there with the same characteristics or if I get to hear their voice. Which you have to say hi to hear the voice. Because of my faceblindness, I mostly only know people who approach me regularly and about half of the people who approach me, who know me, are completely unfamiliar to me.

That's one nice thing about online: people always come with nametags.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:18 pm

I interact with a lot more people online but how can I call them friends? I have trouble making a genuine personal connection with my wife and kids, let alone people online. I VALUE my online contact with people. But I can't see this as equivalent to friendship.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:21 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
I interact with a lot more people online but how can I call them friends? I have trouble making a genuine personal connection with my wife and kids, let alone people online. I VALUE my online contact with people. But I can't see this as equivalent to friendship.

It depends on how broad your definition of friend is. To me, a friend is anyone more intimate than an acquaintance. Wendy Lawson has a diagram in her book "Friendships: The Aspie Way" that shows how there are different levels of friendship and different kinds of friends. If you define friendship so that only a best friend/bosom buddy is a friend, then no, I don't have online friends. But if you use a more broad definition like Lawson and acknowledge that there are different kinds of friends and different layers of friendship then, yes, I have a good handful of friends online.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:23 pm

Internet.

I found your poll confusing so I didn't vote.

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2010, 1:28 pm

Dilbert wrote:
I don't think there's a secret. I say hi to every familiar face. I talk to people and try to find more about them. Discover common interests, and then share them. Etc...

I'm no social butterfly. Far from it! :P But I try.

I'm an intriguing character and oftentimes fun to be around (when I'm not in one of my funk mood periods). I think some people (but not all) are drawn to me because they want to learn more.

I'm much like you. I have no fear of people in general, and I can chat for short periods with many of them. This produces many acquaintances, and sometimes leads to actual friendship.

I'm the same way online, and many of my friends are in both 'worlds'. I counted my ratio as equal.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 1:40 pm

So by far the majority have more friends online than IRL. That's not the case for me. I'm really lucky to have an autism resource/drop-in centre here where I have made a lot of friends, while people I talk to online are so unabashedly disloyal to me that I can't claim to have any friends there at all. So I really buck the trend.