Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 5:19 pm

With the hearing test thing I couldn't hear the first 5 (under the 200hz), however loud I turned the volume up. What does that mean?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

28 Nov 2010, 3:52 am

Surfman wrote:
I imagine low functioning autistics brains are like a sensory sponge that they can not control.

Sometimes I am so overwhelmed by psychic stimuli that I need to lie down. I often feel what others are feeling, in that my empathy is too much, so I avoid closeness and 'connecting' with others

I do this too, I get very overstimulated in crowds and I think that this is a result of mass psychic energy buzzing around. It is almost like I feel the vibrations of the people around me and in a large crowd it is like a clump of sand stopping the flow of a funnel. I just shut down.

As far as abilities go, I am very creative and learn the arts much faster than the average person. The first watercolor I ever did in art class, mom took it to the smithsonian and they said that they never seen such a realistic watercolor fruit picture before. I also learned to spin fiber in 4 days of class which usually takes people months to learn to do. In that way, guess I am a creative savant. But interestingly enough, I usually dont apply my creativity to my daily life, as I can be kinda rigid and dont like change well at all.
Not very often do I come across an art form that I have a hard time with, but when I do, it throws me into meltdown...often the reason I cant do that art form is not because of a lack of creativing learning, but because of a lack of strength on my hands. Things like throwing pottery on a wheel and broom making require alot more strength than I have, but things requiring flexible nimble hands I am very good at

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2010, 4:34 am

1. Premonitions-Random thoughts often pop into my head like a certain music tune and then I run into it in real life. My mom's new ringtone was stuck in my head for about a week before I ever actually heard it! At first I thought it was just because it is also in a movie I saw before, but I don't see any real reason why I would've started thinking about that movie just then.

I read an interesting scientific article showing people who took a test and then studied after did better than people who didn't. Who would study afterward was selected randomly. If anyone here has a strong interest in quantum mechanics or the physical workings of time or some other field that might explain how this phenomenon works I'd love to hear it.

From my experiences in life I have an exaggerated sense of "what's going ot happen" at least with sounds but have never had an experience where I could actually put this into practice to help me or anyone else with anything(like avoiding bad experiences for example). And then there's no qualitative difference between sounds that I later hear and ones I don't so I won't know that I'm getting a premonition.

I don't how "real" this ability is. It could all be coincidence and maybe the real ability is "memory" so I wind up remembering these occurances more than most people, and if it wasn't for that scientific study I'd assume this must be the real cause.

2. Light Visual-Sound Synesthesia-It also seems like the flashes of light that gets stuck in my eyes if I pay close attention follows the "rhythm" of sounds but it's not noticeable unless I pay close attention. Most noticeable if I close my eyes and pay close attention. Even if I don't I still see visuals but can only notice how the sounds are influencing them if I pay close attention. Closed eye visuals are usually just red and purple figures, but sometimes blue, more rarely green.

3. Sensory/Emtional Filtering-I can purposefully "filter" my sensory information if I think about it. If I can think about the aspect of a "taste" I don't like before eating something I can remove that sensation and be left only with the good parts. I can also turn off pains by thinking about the function of pain logically(i.e. if it won't kill me there's no purpose in feeling pain, and if it might then it's acknowledged there's a problem and I need the pain to stop so I can do something about it like get to a hospital). I can do this with emotions too by thinking about what I know about the physical interactions involved and their functional purpose. I increasingly find I can also "turn on" emotions this way, even entering states of euphoria through sheer will. This is an ability I didn't even realize I had until I tried it. Maybe we all have this ability. Thoughts are fundamentally physical so thinking things sends signals from one part of the brain to the body or to other parts of the brain. If I direct the "logic" part of the brain to turn off or change the emotional or sensory parts it makes sense that it would work.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

28 Nov 2010, 6:41 am

Joe90 wrote:
With the hearing test thing I couldn't hear the first 5 (under the 200hz), however loud I turned the volume up. What does that mean?

it means you are hearing impaired, like me

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 7:23 am

DGuru wrote:
1. Premonitions-Random thoughts often pop into my head like a certain music tune and then I run into it in real life. My mom's new ringtone was stuck in my head for about a week before I ever actually heard it! At first I thought it was just because it is also in a movie I saw before, but I don't see any real reason why I would've started thinking about that movie just then.

I read an interesting scientific article showing people who took a test and then studied after did better than people who didn't. Who would study afterward was selected randomly. If anyone here has a strong interest in quantum mechanics or the physical workings of time or some other field that might explain how this phenomenon works I'd love to hear it.

From my experiences in life I have an exaggerated sense of "what's going ot happen" at least with sounds but have never had an experience where I could actually put this into practice to help me or anyone else with anything(like avoiding bad experiences for example). And then there's no qualitative difference between sounds that I later hear and ones I don't so I won't know that I'm getting a premonition.

I don't how "real" this ability is. It could all be coincidence and maybe the real ability is "memory" so I wind up remembering these occurances more than most people, and if it wasn't for that scientific study I'd assume this must be the real cause.

2. Light Visual-Sound Synesthesia-It also seems like the flashes of light that gets stuck in my eyes if I pay close attention follows the "rhythm" of sounds but it's not noticeable unless I pay close attention. Most noticeable if I close my eyes and pay close attention. Even if I don't I still see visuals but can only notice how the sounds are influencing them if I pay close attention. Closed eye visuals are usually just red and purple figures, but sometimes blue, more rarely green.

3. Sensory/Emtional Filtering-I can purposefully "filter" my sensory information if I think about it. If I can think about the aspect of a "taste" I don't like before eating something I can remove that sensation and be left only with the good parts. I can also turn off pains by thinking about the function of pain logically(i.e. if it won't kill me there's no purpose in feeling pain, and if it might then it's acknowledged there's a problem and I need the pain to stop so I can do something about it like get to a hospital). I can do this with emotions too by thinking about what I know about the physical interactions involved and their functional purpose. I increasingly find I can also "turn on" emotions this way, even entering states of euphoria through sheer will. This is an ability I didn't even realize I had until I tried it. Maybe we all have this ability. Thoughts are fundamentally physical so thinking things sends signals from one part of the brain to the body or to other parts of the brain. If I direct the "logic" part of the brain to turn off or change the emotional or sensory parts it makes sense that it would work.

I know some about quantum stuff. basicly there are several concepts
the wave length theory: which is that the universe is made up of wave lengths which we know to be true such light and sound, and realitivity
however quantum researchers believe that there are wave lengths of conscousness and that these wave lengths can transend time, space, and physical barriers much like the theory of worm holes in space.

the other theory that I think may be relevent is the 4th dimension.
You have 2 dimension...which can only be seen from one side, 3 dimension which is an object that can be seen on all sides and the 4th dimension which is a space that one can sense things going on that trandscend time and space by the idea that it is all there. In other words, everything that will happen and has happened or is happening somewhere else is in the 4th dimension. what they base their theory on the fact that only 3 percent of the light that enters our eyes can be seen, what exists in that 97 percent that we dont see? They believe that to be the 4th dimension. This theory has some merit by the fact that when astonomers see a supernova, by the time the light has reached close enough to see it, the star has been long gone. Esentually we are seeing history as it happened. Astronomers are getting close to being able to see the light of the big bang which created the universe.

There is the extra sensory perception theory which is that people have senses that are unknown to science that can pick up on things like telepathy and some clairivoyance but this theory does not address transending time and large distances.

There are other theories but they really dont address the scope of psychic evidence

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 10:56 am

jojobean wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

OK - but although I do have hearing impaired, how come my ears are still sensitive to loud noise? How come when I get a big build up of wax in my ears I don't feel a bit deaf?

My ears are a mystery to me.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 12:43 am

Joe90 wrote:
jojobean wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

OK - but although I do have hearing impaired, how come my ears are still sensitive to loud noise? How come when I get a big build up of wax in my ears I don't feel a bit deaf?

My ears are a mystery to me.

Loud noises bother me too and I have a 45db hearing loss. You can have hearing sensitivities and still have a hearing loss. You could be sensitive to what noises you do hear via sensory intergration problems. As far as the wax goes...I dont know about that.