Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Which season were you born in/ASD correlation?
Winter, ASD 29%  29%  [ 18 ]
Spring, ASD 24%  24%  [ 15 ]
Summer, ASD 19%  19%  [ 12 ]
Fall, ASD 24%  24%  [ 15 ]
Winter, NT 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Spring, NT 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Summer, NT 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Fall, NT 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 63

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2010
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 719

31 Oct 2010, 4:48 am

I was born in late autumn (November) and I am an Aspie. Looks like fall is a good season for Asperger's :lol:

Spring and fall seem to tie though, my mother's boyfriend is a textbook case of Asperger's and he was born in the spring,



nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,321
Location: At Festively Plump

31 Oct 2010, 5:35 am

lostD wrote:
I feel uncomfortable with being called a "NT" just because I am a non autistic person. Though I have no diagnosis of Autism for now and only demanded to be diagnosed with Dyspraxia for now, I can assure you that I am not NT, there are other neurological differences.

My daughter who has Dyspraxia is different from other kids in ways that are obvious to me. If I could work out the link between her condition and my Autie's I'd be a (temporarily) happy man..



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 88,922
Location: the island of defective toy santas

31 Oct 2010, 6:06 am

first week of december, before the new moon, on a dark and stormy tuesday night/wee hours.



jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,993
Location: 미국

31 Oct 2010, 10:22 am

lostD wrote:
I feel uncomfortable with being called a "NT" just because I am a non autistic person. Though I have no diagnosis of Autism for now and only demanded to be diagnosed with Dyspraxia for now, I can assure you that I am not NT, there are other neurological differences.

Anyway, I was born in early December, so that's autumn for me. However, I should have been born in late February, making it winter. I do not know whether date of birth is relevant or not for statistics since there are many people who were premature or late.

By the way, the idea of 4 seasons is more accepted in western countries where there are indeed four seasons. I doubt that other countries accept it as a general truth or way to think about the year.


"NT" merely describes people without autism. People with dyspraxia can still be NT if they don't have an ASD diagnosis.



lostD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 560

31 Oct 2010, 10:47 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
lostD wrote:
I feel uncomfortable with being called a "NT" just because I am a non autistic person. Though I have no diagnosis of Autism for now and only demanded to be diagnosed with Dyspraxia for now, I can assure you that I am not NT, there are other neurological differences.

Anyway, I was born in early December, so that's autumn for me. However, I should have been born in late February, making it winter. I do not know whether date of birth is relevant or not for statistics since there are many people who were premature or late.

By the way, the idea of 4 seasons is more accepted in western countries where there are indeed four seasons. I doubt that other countries accept it as a general truth or way to think about the year.


"NT" merely describes people without autism. People with dyspraxia can still be NT if they don't have an ASD diagnosis.


There are many thread about the definition of NT and not everyone agrees on the fact that every non autistic person should be called a "NT".

NT means neurotypical. Dyspraxia is a neurological disorder, therefore dyspraxics are not NT. Neither are people with a learning disorder, ADHD and according to some people, neither are people with bipolar disorder, schizophrenics, etc.

And then, the "NTs" are probably a minority.

So, basically, what I want to say is that there is a huge difference between being non autistic and being neurotypical.



jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,993
Location: 미국

31 Oct 2010, 11:32 am

lostD wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:
lostD wrote:
I feel uncomfortable with being called a "NT" just because I am a non autistic person. Though I have no diagnosis of Autism for now and only demanded to be diagnosed with Dyspraxia for now, I can assure you that I am not NT, there are other neurological differences.

Anyway, I was born in early December, so that's autumn for me. However, I should have been born in late February, making it winter. I do not know whether date of birth is relevant or not for statistics since there are many people who were premature or late.

By the way, the idea of 4 seasons is more accepted in western countries where there are indeed four seasons. I doubt that other countries accept it as a general truth or way to think about the year.


"NT" merely describes people without autism. People with dyspraxia can still be NT if they don't have an ASD diagnosis.


There are many thread about the definition of NT and not everyone agrees on the fact that every non autistic person should be called a "NT".

NT means neurotypical. Dyspraxia is a neurological disorder, therefore dyspraxics are not NT. Neither are people with a learning disorder, ADHD and according to some people, neither are people with bipolar disorder, schizophrenics, etc.

And then, the "NTs" are probably a minority.

So, basically, what I want to say is that there is a huge difference between being non autistic and being neurotypical.


I think you're interpreting the word literally. (As in, maybe you're thinking "neuro" = brain; "typical" = normal.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotypical
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl ... d=0CBMQkAE



lostD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 560

31 Oct 2010, 11:51 am

Well, obviously there is a problem with what autistic people consider to be normal or typical if I read properly the wikipedia definition.

Quote:
Neurotypical (or NT) is a term that was coined in the autistic community as a label for people who are not on the autism spectrum: specifically, neurotypical people have neurological development and states that are consistent with what most people would perceive as normal, particularly with respect to their ability to process linguistic information and social cues. The concept was later adopted by both the neurodiversity movement and the scientific community.


I admit that most people with mild dyslexia, dyspraxia or dyscalculia and ADHD are perceived as being normal because it rarely affects their social life or behaviour in a way that they will seem strange (just normal with a disability).

And I have no idea about people with severe dyslexia/dyscalculia because the only one I know is highly social, but I can assure you that many dyspraxic people are regarded as very strange (or retarded, or in need for psychological help), I do not know whether scyzophrenic people are easy to recognize or not but they frighten most people and bipolar are not "normal", "need to see a psychiatrist" and are higly "irritating".

The word "particularly" does not exclude other areas of difficulties and people with verbal dyspraxia and other dyspraxic will sometimes meet the criteria anyway.


I know, I must be very annoying but excluding other neurological differences in the "neurodiverse community" seems illogical to me. Non autistic is a good word to describe non autistic people even when they have a disorder (and even those who are not diagnosed or the self diagnosed in a way because official diagnosis is required to be truly considered autistic unfortunately) but neurotypical says more. I am not responsible for the true meaning of the word.

It is a recent word, someone has created it and has chosen two particular morphemes, each carrying a meaning and if the final meaning is far from the logical meaning it shows that this person voluntary ignored the existence of other neurological disorders and was either absorbed by the existence of Autism (and the feeling that it is autism vs the world, because the media sometimes makes us feel that it's the case) or uninformed.

In any case, something is missing.

Which is why many people would have the right to feel that they should not be called NT, and I will be one of them.



Last edited by lostD on 31 Oct 2010, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,993
Location: 미국

31 Oct 2010, 11:57 am

lostD wrote:
Which is why many people would have the right to fell that they should not be called NT, and I will be one of them.


No one is forcing you to vote in the poll.



lostD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 560

31 Oct 2010, 12:23 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
lostD wrote:
Which is why many people would have the right to fell that they should not be called NT, and I will be one of them.


No one is forcing you to vote in the poll.


Not really talking about the poll now but about the unclear definition or this word. I have voted earlier, I am just saying that the options are misleading because it sounds like any non autistic non NT or self diagnosed autistic can't really vote.
That's actually what struck me when I was about to vote.

"What should I vote ? Am I allowed to vote ? And what about the self diagnosed ?" because the usual "other" is missing.



jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,993
Location: 미국

31 Oct 2010, 12:25 pm

lostD wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:
lostD wrote:
Which is why many people would have the right to fell that they should not be called NT, and I will be one of them.


No one is forcing you to vote in the poll.


Not really talking about the poll now but about the unclear definition or this word. I have voted earlier, I am just saying that the options are misleading because it sounds like any non autistic non NT or self diagnosed autistic can't really vote.


Okay. I just figured that the name of this site is "WrongPlanet.net: The online resource and community for Autism and Asperger's". It doesn't say anything about any other sort of disorder. Self-diagnosed autistic people still can say they have an ASD, so they can vote.



lostD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 560

31 Oct 2010, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Bipolar, Tourettes, Schizophrenia, and other Psychological Conditions
If you have Bipolar, Tourettes, or another condition, please make Wrong Planet your home! We welcome all neurodiverse individuals, with or without Autism! Have something other than Autism? This is your place!


And the threads about NVLD. (I believe this question to be aimed at everyone since you add the NT part, perhaps to compare the results)

---


Now, to go back to your poll, for now we can concluse that there are no more autistic people born during a season than durng another (at least on WP). But we could wonder about places where there are only two seasons for example, or see if the climate have an influence on the number of autistic people among a population.
(Well, unfortunately, the question would be far more complex since we would have take into account the lack of medical access in some parts of the world, the difficulties to have a diagnosis in others and of course everything that could have an impact on the human developments or the genes such as food, diseases, etc. but that could be interesting.)


There are some articles online about seasons and development, not always about Autism though (and contradictory ones).
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 23070.html
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125356566517528879.html
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... and-autism

The last one may interest you if the aim of your poll was to find a correlation between season and autism. But I think some parts may be inaccurate.



cmjust0
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 96

02 Nov 2010, 6:40 pm

February for me, and I'm a probable, but non-Dx'd Aspie.

Even in the early running, I see that Winter's running almost 2:1 over Summer for ASD people.. My understanding of the theory is that ASD *may* be related to vitamin D deficiency in the mother...which, of course, would be more likely to happen toward the middle or end of winter, into early Spring.