Were you placed with severely disabled children as a child?

Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2010, 10:50 pm

As a child I had social problems and motor delays. I attended a mainstream school, but was placed in therapy groups with severely disabled children as I was the only one with AS. I was also placed in the lower level reading and math groups despite being an average reader and speller and being well above average in math. I was completely demoralized and stopped caring about school and I never did my homework. Has anyone experienced this?

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 10:54 pm

yep - until 2nd grade.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 11:11 pm

I was enrolled in a special ed program at the local preschool from age three until age five. The degree to which my peers were mentally handicapped varied. Some of the students functioned well in the classroom, while others seemed to be worse off in their disability than others.

At the time, I didn't really think there was anything wrong with me or any of my peers. I just thought it was normal school.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 11:48 pm

Well my kindergarten teacher said to my mom because my language was more that of a 2 or 3 year old's (and I was 5) she told my mom that I had a learning disability (well it was more than that) and was placed in a special ed class for 2 years, at ages 6 and 7. The other kids had other disabilities but some communicated better than me, and others were worse off. by the time I was 7 my speech started coming in better, and reasoning did too so I was mainstreamed in grade 3 but taken for resource withdrawal for extra tutoring and 1 on 1 help. I needed some 1 on 1 help though until around high school during some instances. My son is high functioning but I think further into the spectrum than I am, but it is hard to say... he is 6 and his speech is still behind but doing quite well otherwise. He is in a grade 1 autistic class part time and the rest of the time is getting ABA therapy and life skills teaching. I overall turned out okay (with anxiety I need to add) but hopefully he will too with all of the help he is getting now. I want to see what skills he truly has maybe when he is older so that can be strengthened and put to good use like Temple Grandin always says :)

Mir

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 2:44 am

Nope- advanced classes. Except in sport.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 4:21 am

My mom didn't let me attend kindergarten. I attended only half the first grade, and my first real school year was the second grade. After that I was largely home-schooled, though occasional experiments with schooling lasted half a year or a year at the most; the last two years of high school I was in a tiny private school where pretty much everybody had some issue that their parents were in denial about, but that was the first time I was in the same school two years in a row. She's just move me every time she thought it wasn't "right for me". I'm pretty sure that the reason she took me out of the school I was in during the sixth grade was that they wanted to move me to special ed.

I think my mom was trying to keep me out of special ed, because she didn't want to admit that I was autistic. She knew very well that I was, because she worked with autistic kids herself; only she thought I was "too smart"--because obviously autistics can never be smart--and that if I got "labeled", I'd suddenly fulfill all the horrible steroetypes of disabled kids that she had in her head. Ironically, not only am I in college now, but some of my classmates are people she would've written off as not even capable of going to school at all, much less college!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 5:04 am

Yes, I was. There were handicapped as well as severely autistic children at my special school.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 6:19 am

Nope.

I was too smart to need help. Too impaired to excel. Too passive to cause trouble. The occasional meltdown was quickly forgotten. Had I entered school now instead of 1963, I suspect it would have gone differently. I don't think they were mainstreaming kids until at least the 70's so I maybe should consider myself lucky I went unnoticed else I would have been put in a special school.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 7:14 am

I did not get placed with disable children but one time in junior school my teacher took me out of my normal class and placed me in a more infant class for a few weeks. I had no idea why. I don't think my learning was the problem. I think it might have happened because the teacher thought I was acting younger than my age.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 6:49 pm

No, infact, they did not know where to put me! Because I was too "special" for normal classes and too "normal" for special classes. I was in a category of my very own!

Blueskygirl
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2010, 10:02 pm

Callista wrote:
My mom didn't let me attend kindergarten. I attended only half the first grade, and my first real school year was the second grade. After that I was largely home-schooled, though occasional experiments with schooling lasted half a year or a year at the most; the last two years of high school I was in a tiny private school where pretty much everybody had some issue that their parents were in denial about, but that was the first time I was in the same school two years in a row. She's just move me every time she thought it wasn't "right for me". I'm pretty sure that the reason she took me out of the school I was in during the sixth grade was that they wanted to move me to special ed.

I think my mom was trying to keep me out of special ed, because she didn't want to admit that I was autistic. She knew very well that I was, because she worked with autistic kids herself; only she thought I was "too smart"--because obviously autistics can never be smart--and that if I got "labeled", I'd suddenly fulfill all the horrible steroetypes of disabled kids that she had in her head. Ironically, not only am I in college now, but some of my classmates are people she would've written off as not even capable of going to school at all, much less college!

Maybe it wasn't that your mom thought you were too smart to be autistic...maybe she thought you were too smart to be "schooled" rather than educated. Sometimes I feel like I don't necessarily see the reasoning of placing any child in a concrete building, where every child is expected to learn exactly the same way, at the same rate, and not be able to pursue their own interests from the hours of 7:45-2:45 (or whatever it may be). School is kind of an artificial place for kids to get bored, learn to hate learning, and be taught how to be cruel to one another.

Did you hate being homeschooled?

mimsy123
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Nov 2010, 10:05 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Nope- advanced classes. Except in sport.

Same here, but with one further exception: handwriting.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 10:24 pm

Nope.

I'm basically really intelligent... just too impaired everywhere else.

Damn shame in my situation, because the handicapped kids I met in school were so much nicer than the 'normal' kids. I most likely would've had more friends.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

DeadpanDan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2010, 10:28 pm

Nope, but I was severely disabled (though definitions on this can vary, but if you're talking about people with intellectual delays*, well I'm up there with them, as are most with AS, just in a different way).

I went to a private school, and I did receive remedial aid in addition to repeating a grade, so..., I guess I was given special care, but only for the first few grades.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 10:33 pm

When I was six and seven I was placed in a special ed classroom with kids who had disabilities and they had mental retardation, and autism or other severe problems. They stuck kids with all sorts of disabilities in one classroom then.

But before that, I went to a special school for kids with development delays and they were all high functioning in my class while the kids next door were lower functioning. But in my new school, it was all over.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 10:35 pm

I went to preschool at a school for severely disabled children, but was mainstreamed in elementary school as it was clear that I wasn't disabled enough to attend that school or the special ed class at the elementary school. I was in the highest level group for reading, but PE was a major struggle because they only focused on team sports. I did fine in math until high school because algebra and especially geometry were especially difficult.