Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Well if you get a bill in the mail like a phone bill, how can you fix it if the phone company is closed? You would have to wait till business day they are open for you to call them and tell them their mistake they made on the bill. That's why some things can't be fixed right away. Same as when you decide to open your other bills and you see a mistake and you can't call them because they are closed so you have to wait till tomorrow to fix it. Or if something in your home broke and you needed to hire a maintenance, they can't come there right away so you have to schedule for them to come over and fix it and it can take a few days. Same as when I couldn't get my internet to work and my husband wasn't home or he was sleeping and he knows how to mess with things better than I do so I had to just put it off and wait if I couldn't figure it out. I did give up and then I decided to try again and the internet was working again. All I had to do was wait a half hour.

Of course you are right, but its more like a compulsion in me to wanna take care of things so I can relax. If something is broken in my home I usually try to fix it myself instead of waiting. Then I create a disaster. If my computer is on the fritz I will spend hours trying to repair it myself. I always can but, like I said, it takes hours and I put off doing other things before it is fixed.

I understand what you are saying and you are offering good ideas. I just can't seem to not be this way.

Is there a particular brain function here that is deficient? Why am I like this?

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:31 pm

Kiseki wrote:
but its more like a compulsion in me to wanna take care of things so I can relax. If something is broken in my home I usually try to fix it myself instead of waiting. Then I create a disaster. If my computer is on the fritz I will spend hours trying to repair it myself. I always can but, like I said, it takes hours and I put off doing other things before it is fixed.

I understand what you are saying and you are offering good ideas. I just can't seem to not be this way.

Is there a particular brain function here that is deficient? Why am I like this?

Oh gosh I am the same way. I have a hard time accepting things if something goes wrong! I need it fixed right away or I go batty. And I do attempt at fixing it but then many times it goes from bad to worse then I really get upset. Same thing goes when I cannot find something. I get really upset if I misplace something and need to find it right away in order to calm down. I can't get over things either!

Mir

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:32 pm

lionesss wrote:
Oh gosh I am the same way. I have a hard time accepting things if something goes wrong! I need it fixed right away or I go batty. And I do attempt at fixing it but then many times it goes from bad to worse then I really get upset. Same thing goes when I cannot find something. I get really upset if I misplace something and need to find it right away in order to calm down. I can't get over things either!

Mir

Oh, I'm glad we both have the same problem! :P

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:37 pm

Kiseki wrote:
lionesss wrote:

Mir

Oh, I'm glad we both have the same problem! :P

LOL oh you are most definitely not alone!!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:47 pm

Kiseki wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Well if you get a bill in the mail like a phone bill, how can you fix it if the phone company is closed? You would have to wait till business day they are open for you to call them and tell them their mistake they made on the bill. That's why some things can't be fixed right away. Same as when you decide to open your other bills and you see a mistake and you can't call them because they are closed so you have to wait till tomorrow to fix it. Or if something in your home broke and you needed to hire a maintenance, they can't come there right away so you have to schedule for them to come over and fix it and it can take a few days. Same as when I couldn't get my internet to work and my husband wasn't home or he was sleeping and he knows how to mess with things better than I do so I had to just put it off and wait if I couldn't figure it out. I did give up and then I decided to try again and the internet was working again. All I had to do was wait a half hour.

Of course you are right, but its more like a compulsion in me to wanna take care of things so I can relax. If something is broken in my home I usually try to fix it myself instead of waiting. Then I create a disaster. If my computer is on the fritz I will spend hours trying to repair it myself. I always can but, like I said, it takes hours and I put off doing other things before it is fixed.

I dunno. I always saw it as something to work on so I did and I got better. I only get anxious when it gets closer and closer to it and nothing has been done yet and the deadline is coming so I turn into a nag.

Now I tend to put things off for too long. I waited too long to sign up for birthing classes and now I am on the waiting list and I keep forgetting to call the other place. I never liked to use my free time to make a phone call. I have to force myself to do things. It's like there is never a between for me, everything is always the opposite. It's either this or either that. I don't know why it's like that for me. I know with us, it's either we are excessive or under excessive. No between.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:51 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I dunno. I always saw it as something to work on so I did and I got better. I only get anxious when it gets closer and closer to it and nothing has been done yet and the deadline is coming so I turn into a nag.

Now I tend to put things off for too long. I waited too long to sign up for birthing classes and now I am on the waiting list and I keep forgetting to call the other place. I never liked to use my free time to make a phone call. I have to force myself to do things. It's like there is never a between for me, everything is always the opposite. It's either this or either that. I don't know why it's like that for me. I know with us, it's either we are excessive or under excessive. No between.

Gosh, I am like that as well! I put off things I don't wanna do- like classes etc. (same as you)- but with other things I must compulsively take care of them.

That's very interesting there is no in between.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:52 pm

lionesss wrote:
Kiseki wrote:
but its more like a compulsion in me to wanna take care of things so I can relax. If something is broken in my home I usually try to fix it myself instead of waiting. Then I create a disaster. If my computer is on the fritz I will spend hours trying to repair it myself. I always can but, like I said, it takes hours and I put off doing other things before it is fixed.

Mir

I can relate. I used to get very upset too when I couldn't find something and I couldn't do something else until I found it. Now I put it off and look for it later and then stop and try again later. Like last night I couldn't find my N64 memory card, I know I have another one around but I can't find it now, but I put it off knowing I can always get another one and I don't play those games that much so I don't need that memory card that bad. But I couldn't save the game I was playing but I was testing it out anyway.

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2010, 2:30 am

I have the same problem. Not being able to let things go has always been a big issue for me. I would say I've gotten better at it, slightly, over time, but not by much. There are some things like the shirt example you gave that bother me and I keep going over and over it despite the fact that there's nothing I can do about it. Usually these seem to be things that don't bother other people, so they don't understand why it bothers me. Like, I still walk in my yard and look at this tree and I am filled with irritation. My mother went on this pruning rant and she cut off the branch of the tree that had flowers on it that she thought was impinging on a rose nearby. I REALLY like this tree especially when it's in bloom. I don't know why she cut off the branch because of the stupid rose! I yelled at her and got really upset, and there's nothing I can do about it now, nor was there, but it still bothers me. As you can probably tell. It's not even "my" yard this is a rental, but it's in front of my steps. Or there was this picture that used to hang on my wall as a kid that my father got rid of, and I am still upset when I think about it. Or my first car that my ex made me get rid of and he took it to a junk yard instead of a good home. I remember crying all the way to the DMV. I am still upset thinking about this. I seem to have a weird attachment to certain possessions. When I explain these things that upset me it sounds stupid but they really bother me. When I was really little and my sister wanted to torment me she would remind me of various toys that had been lost or broken that I loved, until I was bawling. Also I had a fairly large rift with one of my friends in college because she accidentally packed a teaball and a saucepan that belonged to me, and then not only didn't unpack her entire moving truck to give them back, but couldn't find them later.

Anyway, this is sounding weird even to me as I describe it. Nobody ever understands and I just have to try not to think about these things later because they still upset me and there's nothing I can do about it. And I'm remembering more and more occasions associated with me being deprived of or losing possessions in some way.
But I'm getting off topic here.

I also have issues with having to address certain problems "right now" because I can't rest. Fixing things myself, buying a spare part, etc. One time I got out of a restaurant where I met family for dinner at some special event, between all of our houses so it was pretty out of the way. When I got home at like 11 I found I did not have my cell phone. I called my mother and my sister and it was not in their cars (we had shared vehicles during the day). I drove back to the restaurant parking lot that night to find it. I didn't find it, then I found heard from my sister that it was at her house so I drove there that night to get it (more than an hour each way). In this case there wasn't anything special about the cell phone that couldn't have been replaced, but I HAD to take care of it right then. A couple of weeks ago I got an item of furniture from a store some distance a way (it was a whole day event going there, shopping, and coming back, quite exhausting). When I assembled it that night I found there was one part missing. It was not a part I could replace at a hardware store, it was very specific. There was an order form where you could get a replacement part sent to you, but instead, I went back the next day all over again and got the part (I would've gone back then if they'd been open). Somehow this hassle was less than the hassle of waiting. Problems with immediate gratification, perhaps?

On the other hand I have no problem procrastinating on numerous projects that I don't particularly want to do or that don't "grab" me. I'll do it at the last minute though, if I made a commitment to somebody for a particular time, because I hate it when people say they will do something on a certain day and then they don't.

Okay one more story about my weird possession obsession. Honestly I can't explain this. One time when I was about 13 or 14 I was on a long several night trip to a horse event with my riding instructor (I would go along on these things as groom). I had a few items to get me through the trip. We were camped out with the truck, horsetrailer, and tent in a field somewhere where the events were being held with few facilities. I went to a porta-potty and I brought my soap to wash my hands (it was the kind that has water to wash hands inside, but I guess the soap was out). I accidentally dropped my soap in the hole. Yes, that hole. I REACHED IN AND GOT IT OUT. It makes me cringe to write this. I mean it was a bar of soap! But it was like as far as I could figure at that time I had no other option. I can't explain some of my behavior especially years later. I can say with (I think) assurance that I wouldn't do that today. As an adult living on my own I think I gradually learned that I could simply go out and buy more of certain things if I lost them, though not everything. And yes, I realize now that there were NUMEROUS other options available to me even as a kid, not to mention the impossibility of actually getting clean with that soap but... I don't know how to explain it. I really don't. It grosses me out too.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 8:51 am

Grendel, wow! Thank you for the long reply. I found myself relating completely to most of that.

The part about the soap, I probably would have done the same. I have a serious attachment to objects as well., Sometimes, when I'm taking the train and on the platform, I think about what I would do if I dropped my iPod on the tracks. My iPod is literally my best friend. I really think i would jump on those tracks to try and get it. Now that's messed up and I know it!