How many symptom do I need to be asperger

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2006, 9:50 pm

Hello,

I need some advices.

I have symptom who let me think that I'm maybe Asperger.

- Has difficulty making friends
- Difficulties with social interaction and communicating
- Odd body posture
- Easily stressed, irritated, annoyed
- Poor eye contact
- Talk in a monotone robotic way
- Lack of spontaneity
- If I meet somebody, in the same day or the day after, frequently I will not remember is face
- Some noise make me freak

The two things who do that I'm not sure if I could be Asperger are that
I don't have repetitive routine and don't have fascination (obsession) for a subject.

My Question Is:

I don't know how to ask that but, do you have to got almost of the symptom to be Asperger or some people
have only few ?

I you have ideas, I will really appreciate it, or if you know somebody who can give me some advices
or an Internet adress it will be cool too,

I met doctors and psychologysts, and I knew more informations about that than them !

I'll ask for an appointement in a hospital who threat asperger at Montreal but it will be in 1 year.

Thank you !

Sorry for my bad english !

Ben.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2006, 10:01 pm

I think symptoms are different depending on how severe AS is. No two Aspies are alike.

Tim

Lupine_Ragdoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2006, 3:22 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I think symptoms are different depending on how severe AS is. No two Aspies are alike.

Tim

Yeah, diagnosing AS is a lot more tricky than just recognizing definite symptoms. I think it would definitely be worth going to see a psychologist or a doctor with experience with AS, they'd be able to make a much more accurate diagnosis than any of us could. :) Just be sure that they have enough experience with people with AS, as not all doctors are too familiar with it, and may not be able to diagnose accurately if they don't know what to look for.

In the meantime, you could try going here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome . It has information about AS, and might help you find out for yourself if you may have it or not. I think it's still best to see a psychologist though, as like I said before, they'd most likely be trained in recognising it better than others. )

Help revive ReBoot!

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2006, 5:25 am

hi atxa...im 34 and have AS and i too do not have routine or obsessions but i have everything else you describe..and i accept that i have AS.....
it is hard to diagnose as any[sychologist over 35 hasnt heard of it ..it is a realatively new thing........anyway i think from what your describing, that you do have it.......but if it takes a year to get a diagnosis then this is not so bad.......you can spend the year researching wondering and being introspective..it took me 2 years to accpet my diagnosis and you and i sound similar...it is a long procees you are embarking on..dont be in a rush to get better....aspies are impulsive as well.

i will have fascinationf for a subject and will change from week to week i prefer routine and get annoyed when it is changed unexpectedly..look closely at yourself....do you get upset when people change their minds?
and do you get passing interests in things and shift to other things frequently?

have a think about it and respond....i will be notified when you do.

good luck

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2006, 10:38 pm

Hello Donkey,

I'm 34 too.

If I am asperger I'm ready to accept that, and I'll be happy cause I will know
the reason about all my problems.

I'm ready to deal with that, but a lot of people that I meet and talk at job, video club, bar,
store ... don't accept me because I'm different and they think it's my fault, my personnality or I don't know. They say that I'm not social, shy, weird .... That's the hardest part of the problem.

-----------------------------------
I'll answer to your questions:
-----------------------------------

donkey >> Do you get upset when people change their minds?

No.

donkey >> Do you get passing interests in things and shift to other things frequently?

Yes a lot, Sometime I have a lot of projects on the go, and I shift from one to another, I quit some
project for a while and get back (Project= Music and Computer stuff)
----------------------------------

Thank you for your reply !

Bye !

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 5:10 am

hi atxa, yes we are all desciribed as odd and weird, shy , inept.....when i got my diagnosis i used to feel weird staying in the house on a sunny day readign e-mails....now i dont, its me, its just me and i feel better for having an excuse to be normal and go out and get some sunshine.
if i do go out, i spend the rest of the night un melting as being in a club , pub is stressfull, i used to drink a lot to make it bearable.

well good luck dude.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 6:32 am

Key trait there looking for in an AS diagnosis as opposed to an autistic one is NO language delay, if there is language delay they are looking at autism.

By language delay this means the time it took you to learn to talk under the age of 5. If this was over a certain time (i.e. there was a delay from "normal" development) then that will make the diagnosis very unlikely to be AS.

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 6:45 am

donkey wrote:
hi atxa, yes we are all desciribed as odd and weird, shy , inept.....when i got my diagnosis i used to feel weird staying in the house on a sunny day readign e-mails....now i dont, its me, its just me and i feel better for having an excuse to be normal and go out and get some sunshine.

I tend to stay in a lot when the sun is out as well; people seem to get upset with me over this. I like knowing that the sun is out, but that does not necessarily mean that I enjoy beeing outside whenever the sun is shining. Sunshine makes me happy – don't get me wrong – but why russh outside every time the weather turns hot?

donkey wrote:
well good luck dude.

yeah, atxa,. Stick around; You'll probably find a lot of support and advice on these boards. I hope you enjoy your time on wrongplanet, and wish you good luck on your search for some answers.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 8:12 am

Axta

Try the quizes

http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.htm ... pic&t=5906

There's one on page one, and more on page 24.

I think I read somewhere that about 80 percent of the attributes makes you aspie - but there is no hard and fast rule, there are several different lists of attributes - just to confuse us. The formal way is to get an assessment done - should take around an hour or so, and your parents or teachers should also be interviewed - by a person who is skilled in diagnosis, and doesn't just call you ADD after ten minutes of watching you.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 12:59 pm

But since it is a delepoment disorder you assessment can fluxcent(sp?) I was broadline itillantly but I have moved more towards the definiate aspie.

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

sc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 7:26 pm

How many symtoms does it take to be yourself?

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2006, 8:11 pm

[quote="sc"]How many symtoms does it take to be yourself?[/quote]

To be myself I would like that people threat me like a real person, even if my voice is different and if I don't speak too much.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 8:27 pm

I once had a neighbor, a real nice guy, where I got my cat from and this was where I use to live in Fresno. He did not have autism but a developmental disability of a different kind and also his voice was very loud and at a pitch. I tried to withstand it as long as possible, but my ears that attach to my brain felt like a chalk board being scratched.

Never once did I make fun of him, I got annoyed becuase sometimes I just have to think and cannot with that voice. He came over and I helped him write e-mails to family a few times a week.

So I suppose he was a friend.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 12:46 am

I think of autism/aspergers as a thinking and sensing style.

I think differently to other people.

No amount of learned skill has changed the way I think.

Considerable amount of learned skill has helped me interact better with other people and the environment. This may appear to move my symptoms along the chart of intensity and expression towards something that seems more "normal", but this doesn't actually change the way I think.

Sometimes this is called "masking behaviour", it is sometimes called "pretending to be normal". It usually takes more effort than not masking/compensation, and consequently I need more rest and recovery time. Ie being polite and considerate is hard work. It's often worth it but it is hard work.

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 5:20 pm

wobbegong wrote:
I think of autism/aspergers as a thinking and sensing style.

I think differently to other people.

No amount of learned skill has changed the way I think.

Considerable amount of learned skill has helped me interact better with other people and the environment. This may appear to move my symptoms along the chart of intensity and expression towards something that seems more "normal", but this doesn't actually change the way I think.

Sometimes this is called "masking behaviour", it is sometimes called "pretending to be normal". It usually takes more effort than not masking/compensation, and consequently I need more rest and recovery time. Ie being polite and considerate is hard work. It's often worth it but it is hard work.

Have we ever concidered the fact that maybe beeing autistic means that one does not feel the strong need to socialize, and therefor never (as a child) take the time to learn how to interact with other people. Maybe autistic people do not feel the need for social acceptance (the amount that is concidered to be "normal",) and therefor make less effort to fit in. NT children learn through constant effort to fit the basic social skills. A child that does not feel the need to socialize as much, will have to put a great amount of effort into learning these social skills later in life (as basic social skills become more important).

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 11:02 pm

Alexa232

not feeling a strong need to socialize?

Definitely true for some Autistic people. For Asperger's there is a range - from not wanting to socialize (sometimes due to bad experiences), from wanting to fit in really badly. I think this is one of the spectrum things from zero need to lots.

Most autistic people, especially when young, need enough social skills to be able to ask for food and other personal needs. They might not feel the need or desire though. Living as a total hermit isn't very easy either.

I don't think the lack of social competence is completely related to the child's desire or drive to be social. For instance, I wanted to be social but I just didn't get what it took unless someone spelled it out for me. And if there was any kind of exception to the set of rules, I'd have to get it spelled out again. And of course this doesn't work completely successfully or we'd all learn everything we need from relationship help books - I've read a tonne of those and I'm still pretty much crap compared to someone I'd call "neurotypical". I'm ok socially, but I don't feel comfortable most of the time, because I'm always worried about getting it wrong, with good reason - I often do.

I have a friend who grew up socially isolated from everyone except her family. Her mother was very paranoid about outside influences - so like a person from another country, the social rules she had learned didn't apply well to the mainstream culture. She was vulnerably naive and direct. Sounds aspie but wasn't. She had to have some stuff spelled out for her, but she could figure out the rest by observation, and reading people's body language. I've never seen her put her foot in it the way I do.

I think social skills are probably a bit like sporting skills, some people are born naturally co-ordinated and built for speed and others are not. All can improve with training and practice but the ones with natural ability will always exceed the ones that picked the wrong parents.