I think acting is the utlimate aspie job

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 2:46 pm

You act out a planned role. No spontaneity. Predictable task.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 2:51 pm

fifasy wrote:

Yes but acting, whether stage or film, is going to have glaring lights that could create sensory issues, you'll be expected to replicate emotional facial patterns NT's use, your director is going to be a screaming type-A douche (not sure, but I'm pretty sure that's in their contract), not to mention an entire live audience (even in film there's a crew) all looking at you waiting for a mistake. Still sound appealing?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 2:55 pm

fifasy wrote:

While I wholehearted agree with that , there is a lot more to the profession than just playing the part , there is a hell of a lot of social interaction involved unless you become a total prima donna or diva ( in the bad sense ). If you can live known as the diva actor then go for it :D

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 3:06 pm

There is social interaction and bright lights and loud noises sometimes but all of those are part of most jobs as well. With acting there is the benefit of having less spontaneous interruptions.

Compare to a normal job where someone is constantly telling you,

- You need to do this extra thing by 4pm
- The phone's just rang for you, another job has come in from south side
- Before you finish typing up that report could you just go and meet the new intern?

Acting like a diva sounds fun. :lol: I'll have some more ice cream please.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 3:06 pm

I think anyone can achieve their biggest dreams to get their best roles in film and television.

Why get a boring desk job or a job as an HVAC technician?

It is a general statement to say that all aspies can only have a job as a HVAC technician or a bagger at Walmart. I am confident that those are not the only career choices for anyone.

Yeah I fidget and have sensory issues, but that does not stop me from achieving the best jobs I can possibly get.

Don't let anyone make you as a bagger at Walmart OP. You deserve better.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 3:12 pm

fifasy wrote:
There is social interaction and bright lights and loud noises sometimes but all of those are part of most jobs as well. With acting there is the benefit of having less spontaneous interruptions.

Compare to a normal job where someone is constantly telling you,

- You need to do this extra thing by 4pm
- The phone's just rang for you, another job has come in from south side
- Before you finish typing up that report could you just go and meet the new intern?

Acting like a diva sounds fun. :lol: I'll have some more ice cream please.

Those were just a few of the possible drawbacks , there are plenty more.

Having a rider does sound appealing though.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 4:24 pm

for some aspies, yeah. it's not my ultimate job but it's not outside the realm of aspie capabilities.
personally i like spontaneity within set limits, and predictability, and repetition. but i'm more than happy with a shade helmet and hearing protection lol

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 4:35 pm

seaweed wrote:
.... but it's not outside the realm of aspie capabilities.

Absolutely , just look at Daryl Hannah & Dan Aykroyd ( not sure how severe their AS was though )

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 4:37 pm

I'm a pretty poor actor.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm a pretty poor actor.

American Werewolf In Queens :lol:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:36 pm

I would make a good actress.
Yet very unwilling, unmotivated to the job itself, and let's just say I have a love-hate relationship with the fame/infamy/reputation statuses. :lol: I don't wanna be a 'symbol' or known for any sort if it could happen.

At best, I might be in it for the money.

I would like to be the one who is capable of doing ALL sorts of roles... In real life. Minus acting mostly.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 5:53 pm

Taking acting classes, or doing acting in a little local production is a priceless experience for anyone, but especially for aspies. Taking a stab at acting is a great idea.

But acting as a career? Hard to say. It chancy at best for anyone of any neurology. On the surface it would seem to be doubly hard of aspies. But it may not really be a worse field for aspies than for NTs. "Everyone brings something to the party" as a voice over teacher (voiceover is a type of acting) I had said once.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 7:18 pm

Hey, acting is something I sometimes dream about pursuing. But any more-than-thought planning has to go to the back-burner for now. Another thing is even though I never thought about it seriously before (took a not-that-serious role in elementary school a long time ago.

I kind of agree with what the OP is saying. I may not necessarily want to do it for fame (if it ever happens, I hope it's just not to a very big degree) or even money (but money for it does sound good). I just would like the concept to act as a different character.

Also, there is already a handful of actors alone who are considered rich and famous to a certain high degree. Besides one needing a lot of luck and being at the right place at the right time, that is also a certain factor. So, I think that the industry might simply be running out of room for those new or a few years/decades in the business without any name recognition at all to "make it big".

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 7:35 pm

Managing year in and year out working in a NT world takes great acting skills.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 9:31 am

I couldn't act to save my life. My emotions show too much in my face and body language. A lot of people involved in that industry, from the top down, are pretty sleazy, to put it mildly. Not my kind of environment.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 2:25 pm

If I became an actor, I'd have to be someone like Clint Eastwood or Arnold Schwarzenegger where the actor *is* the character. By that I mean they play pretty much the same character in every movie they're in, just in different situations. :P