do you suffer from attention deficit disorder?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

i have attention deficit disorder plus hyperactivity
i have attention deficit disorder - no hyperactivity 70%  70%  [ 16 ]
i dont have attention deficit dosorder - am hyper 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 23

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 8:55 am

i do. i used to be extremely hyper, too, but now i'm simply too old and dont have the energy anymore. i'm still stuck with the add, though.
it's soooooo annoying! it makes it torture to work. every minutes stretches so long. i'm so impatient. even when i wrote a book i got up every few minutes and paced back and forth. i can't concentrate on anything.
just wondering if it's me or an aspie thing.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 8:58 am

oooops. about the pole, ignore the stuff about hyperactivity. sorry. i tried putting other options but only two appeared. so let's just pretend it's "i have add" or "i dont have add".
did i mention that i might have a slight learning disability, too, not to mention ocd, depression, rage attacks and general anxiety? life is fun.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 May 2012, 9:00 am

You have to click the button beside the option to add each option, including the last one. The last option on your list should be empty to ensure that all previous options are entered.

I answered that I do have ADHD. I think meeting the criteria for it is very common for autistic people. I've seen studies that found 60-75% of the autistic people in said studies met the criteria for ADHD.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 9:37 am

felinesaresuperior wrote:
oooops. about the pole, ignore the stuff about hyperactivity. sorry. i tried putting other options but only two appeared. so let's just pretend it's "i have add" or "i dont have add".
did i mention that i might have a slight learning disability, too, not to mention ocd, depression, rage attacks and general anxiety? life is fun.

Yes, I have traits of ADD and I was rather hyper as a child (ADHD). It's interesting how well your above description fits me as well. I'm just starting to realize how much some of my most bothersome issues are tied to anxiety as a result of ADD traits.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 9:42 am

How much of the AD(H)D are also found in ASDs?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 May 2012, 10:52 am

I have never been diagnosed with ADHD or ADD, nor have I ever been recommended for testing for either of them. But, I do think I might have some ADD---relating to my special intense interests. Many times in school I daydreamed into my roller coasters and house plans---however, I still maintained high grades because I was able to focus on the class while daydreaming. For this reason, I am not sure I could be diagnosed with ADD. I was not considered hyperactive, so the ADHD seems to be out. But as I get older, I notice it is more difficult for me to stay focused on things that do not interest me.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 12:49 pm

Verdandi wrote:
You have to click the button beside the option to add each option, including the last one. The last option on your list should be empty to ensure that all previous options are entered.

thank you. good to know...

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 8:39 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
i do. i used to be extremely hyper, too, but now i'm simply too old and dont have the energy anymore. i'm still stuck with the add, though.

Just FYI... If you had ADHD as a child, then it's still ADHD. There are different symptoms when you're an adult. Many adults with ADHD are not hyperactive, despite the name.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 8:46 pm

I have ADHD as well as AS, and I was hyper as a child. Not so much now, just scatterbrained if I don't take my meds.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 11:58 pm

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
How much of the AD(H)D are also found in ASDs?

Here is one recent study that suggests 30%

http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/viewpoint/2012/insights-for-autism-from-attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder

Quote:
Autism often shares the national spotlight with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), another serious early developmental disorder. On the surface, the two seem very different: Autism is defined by breakdowns in social and communication development, whereas ADHD is characterized by a breakdown in the development of self control, which manifests as hyperactivity, impulsivity and poor control of attention.

But from there, the picture grows more complex and interesting. First, autism and ADHD occur together far more than chance would suggest. Population data are scarce, but about 30 percent of children with autism meet the criteria for ADHD 1. Many children with ADHD also meet the criteria for autism as a result of social deficits, language delays and stereotyped behaviors.

Second, although both disorders are common, more prevalent in males than in females, begin early in life and range in severity, there are some differences: ADHD is more common, affecting five percent or more of the population, compared with one percent or less for autism; whereas autism has a stronger genetic bias than ADHD does, begins earlier and at its most severe is arguably more disabling.

Because of these similarities, children with ADHD may resemble those with autism, but with milder social, motor and language impairments and better — albeit still impaired — cognitive functioning.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070517100417.htm

Here is an older study, done in 2007, that was huge, studying over 53,000 children that suggests about half of individuals with autism are diagnosed with ADHD. More interesting though was that the children diagnosed with ADHD and Autism were 4 times higher rate of bullying other children than individuals in the general population or other autistic children without ADHD. That's kind of a myth breaker, although these children were also more likely, to be bullied as well.

Quote:
The study pulled data from the 2003 National Survey of Children's Health conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics. The sample included 53,219 children ages 6 to 17. The researchers were interested in finding out whether children with autism were more likely to bully other children. They hypothesized that that children with autism may bully more often because they are more often male (who are more likely to bully); they are more likely to be bullied (and victims are more likely to bully); and many children with autism require treatment for aggression (which potentially includes bullying).

But the researchers did not find that children with autism had a higher rate of bullying -- unless they also had ADD or ADHD. Those with both disorders showed a rate four times higher than children with just autism and with children overall. They also had a higher rate of bullying than children with ADD or ADHD but no autism. This poses an important opportunity for health care providers who see children with autism and ADD or ADHD, which occurs in about half of children with autism spectrum disorders.

I was diagnosed with hyperactivity from birth before there was the label of ADHD. No medication was available at that time; I developed a steady diet of literally running the roads to accommodate the excess energy. I was diagnosed with an ASD much later in life.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 May 2012, 12:02 am

The 30% study is far too low for what has been observed in most other studies.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 12:53 am

I wouldn't say I suffer because I don't feel that way. I do have ADD and I am also hyper sometimes. I was worse as a kid but I have gotten better at it and so has my attention span when it comes to working. I can put myself back to task when I go off task.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 2:04 am

Verdandi wrote:
The 30% study is far too low for what has been observed in most other studies.

Community and general population studies show statistics that are anywhere from 13% to 50% depending on the sample studied and anywhere from 20% to 85% in clinical samples, per recent research linked below.

30% is close to the average for the general population studies that have been done and 50% is close to the average of the clinical samples that have been studied.

Unfortunately, per the DSMIV guidelines, actual dual diagnoses are prohibited for Autism Spectrum Disorders and ADHD. Some diagnosing professionals bypass the guidelines and provide dual diagnoses. The fact that most follow the guidelines, makes it difficult to gain hard statistics on the percentage of individuals that actually meet the DSMIV criteria for both disorders. When only one diagnosis is given ASD trumps ADHD per DSMIV guidelines.

Per the research I referenced there is also a significant number of those with ADHD that exhibit symptoms of ASD's although not serious enough to be meet criteria for an ASD diagnosis.

My understanding is that there is serious debate on this issue in the DSMV organization and the current revisions in the DSMV could be changed to allow a dual diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder and ADHD in the final DSMV revision, which is a good idea for individuals to be properly treated for symptoms of ADHD whom are currently diagnosed with an ASD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... ool=pubmed

Quote:
Clinical anecdotes, case reports, and empirical studies demonstrate that many children display both ADHD and ASD symptoms (Hattori et al., 2006; Holtmann, Bolte, & Poustka, 2007; Mulligan et al., 2009; Nijmeijer et al., 2008; Reiersen & Todd, 2008; Nijmeijer et al., 2009; Rommelse et al., 2009; Rommelse, Franke, Geurts, Hartman, & Buitelaar, 2010). Yet, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition (American Psychiatric Association, 1994), does not allow for the comorbid diagnoses of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Pervasive Developmental Disorders (referred to from here on as autism spectrum disorders, ASD). The prevalence of ADHD symptoms in individuals with a primary clinical diagnosis of ASD ranges between 13% and 50% in population and community based studies (Bradley & Isaacs, 2006; Icasiano, Hewson, Machet, Cooper, & Marshall, 2004; Keen & Ward, 2004; Montes & Halterman, 2006; Ronald, Simonoff, Kuntsi, Asherson, & Plomin, 2008; Simonoff et al., 2008) and between 20% and 85% in clinical samples (de Bruin, Ferdinand, Meester, de Nijs, & Verheij, 2007; Gadow, DeVincent, & Pomeroy, 2006; Gillberg, 1989; Goldstein & Schwebach, 2004; Holtmann, Bolte, & Poustka, 2005; Holtmann et al., 2007; Ogino et al., 2005; Lee & Ousley, 2006; Sinzig, Morsch, Bruning, Schmidt, & Lehmkuhl, 2008; Sturm, Fernell, & Gillberg, 2004; Wozniak et al., 1997)

Lauperino
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 May 2012, 3:16 am

I definitely believe that the two are closely linked.
I've had it all of my life and right now at the age of 19 it's so bad I can barely make it through college save for my incredibly easy classes.
I didn't want to think about it as I've fought getting back on it,
but I'm beginning to think that ADD/ADHD medication might be the solution for my problems.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 8:58 am

[quote/quote]

i just want to say i LOVE this picture. i had a white cat that looked a little like that. sorry to get off the subject.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 9:07 am

The clinical sample studies are far more likely to be accurate, based on what I've read elsewhere.

It is necessary to remove the exclusion from ADHD regarding autism for the DSM-5 - many people do deal with both, and the assumption that they do not is itself not particularly scientific in nature. It is actually somewhat accepted in common practice these days that someone can be diagnosed with both, and screening for ADHD is a typical part of many clinics' autism screening.