Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 6:13 pm

I giggle to myself when I'm walking across campus. I also talk to myself, though I'm trying to stop. At this one autistic get together I saw this dude by himself just talking up a storm. Is this a spectrum thing?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 6:16 pm

I think it's more common for us here on the spectrum.

But I think if a 'normal' person is hurried getting ready and trying to remember something and doing last minute grooming in front of a mirror, he or she might well talk to themselves ('normal' in quotes because there's really no such thing and how boring the world would be if there were!)

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 6:18 pm

Talking to oneself is a lot more normal than it appears. Of course, we aren't the ones who are strange. How many of us are so willing to accept a world full of rape and plunder as "just the way it is"?

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 6:19 pm

yes I do that.....it's called practicing my conversations so I don't screw up when I actually do talk to people and it helps me tremendously so I don't care what other ppl think

Atara
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2010, 6:35 pm

Well....I can't speak for all but I am a NT and I have a son that has Asperger's....and we both talk to ourselves. He catches me doing it and I catch him doing it.

Figure that one out!!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 8:28 pm

I talk to myself and giggle, all the time. It means that I'm happy. :)

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 9:48 pm

What's the clinical term? Inner rehearsal? Internal rehearsal? Something like that. Yeah, many neuro-atypical people do this . The theory is that our brain is seeking to overcome our social deficits and so we "rehearse" socializing in our head. So it seems like we're talking to ourselves.

I think there's something to that theory, because I often replay social interaction after the fact, like tryng out alternative endings. Sometimes I find myself rerunning same theoretical social situation over in my head (i.e.daydreaming), changing what I would say or how I'd emotionally respond. Sometimes I'll even do hand and facial gestures as well as talk to myself. I just do it like second nature. But I'm pretty self-conscious about it, becuase I grew up with an older brother who'd mock me when he caught me doing it. He still does and we're both well into adulthood. My brother's a jerk, that's another story.

But yeah, we do it. Not just people with autism--I've known dyslexics and people with tourette's and ADHD who do it too. I think any developmental condition that might result in social deficits can prompt this--I think because we are by nature social beings, and our brains do need to socialize. It's just our brains trying to figure things out by trial and error that NTs would figure out more intuitively.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 9:54 pm

I do the same thing.

Also I giggle when with others not about what them or what they say but something funny thats unrelated that i'm thinking about.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 9:58 pm

I talk to myself a lot--partially to "rehearse" talking to others, and partially to work things out in my head--I've solved a few problems that way. :D

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

flybirdfly
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Nov 2010, 10:10 pm

I smile, smirk, talk, and sometimes even chuckle when in public. People must think I'm nuts, but oh well. NTs maybe do it to an extent, but I do this sort of thing when I'm riding the subway for example, and I don't ever recall seeing anyone else doing it. I don't talk to myself on the subway, but I do deeply think and vividly daydream, which can cause varying facial expressions and even chuckles.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 11:03 pm

I only talk to myself whenever nobody else is around. However, I tend to giggle incessantly in public, because I'm always thinking of funny things and it makes me giggle. Recently, I was in my P.E. class, and a group of students was giving a presentation on STDs, and I couldn't stop giggling thoughout because I was remembering something funny. It was awful. :lol:

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 11:20 pm

I talk to myself a lot. Sometimes I also giggle to myself as well.

E-FrameZenderblast
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2010, 11:38 pm

I talk to myself all the time, especially holding theoretical social situations inside my head. I pretend other people are there and I talk to them, usually about topics that I never actually would talk to them about. Sometimes I find myself laughing when something funny crops up. I think I do it a lot because I philosophise a lot and I spend a great deal of time alone.

Before I found this thread I used to like the idea I was going mad... Do not ask me why I 'liked' going mad... Maybe I am mad already...

Heeeeee...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 11:45 pm

i converse with myself, and i keep myself company that way. it has kept me alive.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 11:53 pm

I always talk to myself. I giggle to myself while talking to myself when I'm having a solo conversation with myself about one of my special interests.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2010, 11:54 pm

When people catch me doing it i tell them it's "OK to talk to yourself and answer yourself, it's not OK to talk to yourself and have somebody else answer you."