Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 2:35 am

All of them look convex to me.

NOT A DOCTOR

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

05 Dec 2010, 2:44 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
was like half and half for me.... uncanny valley much...

when it first turned, I saw the hollow inversion but then the inside of the mask seemed to pop out again....creepy

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 3:22 am

I can see it both ways depending on how I want to see it. I think it works because of the way the shadows can really go either way and it's two-dimensional. I think I've seen similar things with non-face objects where you can't tell whether they stick in or stick out when shown as a picture on a flat surface.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 3:39 am

aghogday wrote:
There is research that suggests some Autistic people do not see the "Hollow Mask Illusion" in the linked Video below:

http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2009/07/some_insight_into_how_the_holl.php

Most people see the illusion of a normal face when the hollow mask is rotated.
I was wondering how many of you, if any, see the reality of a hollow face when the mask is rotated.

Where's the research?

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 4:42 am

jojobean wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
was like half and half for me.... uncanny valley much...

when it first turned, I saw the hollow inversion but then the inside of the mask seemed to pop out again....creepy

exactly. I was also able to consciously switch it back and forth from face to hollow.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 6:14 am

Rose_in_Winter wrote:
The mask looked convex at first, then as it turned it looked hollow, until it had turned 180 degrees, and then it seemed to morph into a convex face. It made my skin crawl. Then as it moved past 180, it turned hollow again. Just a tiny bit to the left or right and it was hollow, only at 180 was it not!

That. The illusion only exists when the mask is viewed from limited set of angles. In the 3-d rendered one, there is a much wider range of angles than in videos of real masks.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 6:27 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHGqTClu6tU&NR=1&feature=fvwp[/youtube]

I would hazard that face-blindness is not connected, as this one is supposed to also work. I get the same effect with it -- it only looks convex for one step of the camera-man's movements. It's supposed to give the impression that the house is rotating to face the viewer as he walks by. I managed to experience that effect after watching it several times.

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2010, 7:46 am

It is definitely not face-blindness for this. It's lighting. If the light was at a different angle, this wouldn't work as well. The shadows are just the inverse of the convex, because of that the areas that are concave, have a whiter tone, so your mind processes them as being extrusions. Colors that are darker ie. the black shadows, are processed as being intrusions.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 8:27 am

Coldkick wrote:
It is definitely not face-blindness for this. It's lighting. If the light was at a different angle, this wouldn't work as well. The shadows are just the inverse of the convex, because of that the areas that are concave, have a whiter tone, so your mind processes them as being extrusions. Colors that are darker ie. the black shadows, are processed as being intrusions.

Exactly. It is just an optical illusion due to shadows etc, as Coldkick says.

Anyone looked at the dragon illusion too? I watched the video http://www.grand-illusions.com/opticali ... e_dragons/

update: I just watched the house illusion too, it is similar to the dragon except the dragon seems to be looking at you

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 9:15 am

If I just watch the video, the mask looks hollow to me. But if I concentrate, I can make it look like a "normal" face to me. I have found that I am getting better at the latter the older I get, so I think that I am learning to somehow simulate what I think I ought to be seing. This is happening with several other optical illusions as well. When I was younger, I couldn't figure them out, but by now I know how they ought to work and I can make myself see what most people see.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 10:34 am

After looking at the dragon video I started looking at the other illusions they have on that website, they are amazing.

I just looked at this one too, you have to look at the black dot on the building, and then the image changes to black and white but until you look away from the dot you are supposed to see the image still in color http://www.grand-illusions.com/opticali ... _illusion/

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 4:14 pm

alexptrans wrote:
aghogday wrote:
There is research that suggests some Autistic people do not see the "Hollow Mask Illusion" in the linked Video below:

http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2009/07/some_insight_into_how_the_holl.php

Most people see the illusion of a normal face when the hollow mask is rotated.
I was wondering how many of you, if any, see the reality of a hollow face when the mask is rotated.

Where's the research?

In the first link I provided, in the comments section of the article, the inability to see the illusion was self reported among the "faceblind". I found a few sketchy case studies and self reports on the internet of other "faceblind" people with the inability to see the illusion. "Faceblindness" is a condition that is common in Autism and Schizophrenia".

I became interested in the possible relationship between Autism, "Faceblindness", and the inability to see the illusion.

There is compelling research that schizophrenic people cannot see the illusion.

I found one source of research: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1996.tb01483.x/abstract, that suggests a relationship between autism and difficulty seeing illusion.

I wanted to see if there was any correlation of this relationsip among the people using this forum.

Last edited by aghogday on 05 Dec 2010, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 4:16 pm

I see it in black and white.

NOT A DOCTOR

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 4:28 pm

I was expecting to see a mask turned inside out, sorta, and then I saw this face that looked exactly like the face on the mask I just saw! It was very weird.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 7:04 pm

Interesting article here too Hollow Mask Illusion Fails To Fool Schizophrenia Patients

Quote:
ScienceDaily (Apr. 17, 2009) — Patients with schizophrenia are able to correctly see through an illusion known as the ‘hollow mask’ illusion, probably because their brain disconnects ‘what the eyes see’ from what ‘the brain thinks it is seeing’, according to a joint UK and German study published in the journal NeuroImage. The findings shed light on why cannabis users may also be less deceived by the illusion whilst on the drug.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 102557.htm

Quote:
I found it interesting that I saw it like most “normal” people do, because I have a type of Autism known as Asperger Syndrome (AS). Now granted, I have been taught to act somewhat normal, but I do wonder if anyone else on the Autistic Spectrum will see things like normal people, or schitzophrenics.

http://www.stormkeeper.net/tag/sci-fi/

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 1:02 am

I can only see the face as concave when it's at an oblique angle. As soon as I can see both eyes it pops into a convex face rotating the opposite direction. I can't process a concave face straight on no matter how hard I try.