Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 7:25 pm

I have so much trouble with these.

If they are very basic, black letters on a white background I am OK, but when they throw in all of the backwards letters and different shapes and colors I either have to get the audio or I'm basically screwed. I haven't even been able to register with some sites because of this.

I'm not dyslexic, it's something about the shapes and colors together that confuse me, but the letters being backwards definitely doesn't help.

Anyone else?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 8:10 pm

They are meant to be hard. I have trouble with some of them too. Don't know f it means anything.

IMCarnochan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2010, 8:12 pm

Have you checked to see if you are a computer? Try dividing by zero and see if you crash.

Narkito
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2010, 8:32 pm

IMCarnochan wrote:
Have you checked to see if you are a computer? Try dividing by zero and see if you crash.

That made me LOL, hard!

--

I have trouble with the CAPTCHAS too, if I don't get it right, I go for the audio, if no audio, then I ask someone to do it for me. Whenever I can't get past this, I just bookmark the page and wait until someone can do it for me.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200 | Your NT score: 44 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

matt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 8:54 pm

For years I didn't understand that the audio CAPTCHAs aren't supposed to be reading the letters displayed in the graphic, so I thought they were always broken. If i played the audio and it didn't match what I thought was displayed in the graphic I would give up.

Usually the audio is even more confusing than the graphic so I give up anyway.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 8:54 pm

Some of those are so distorted, I don't see how anyone could figure them out. I agree that adding color makes it worse - I have synesthesia, so seeing letters written in the wrong colors is really irritating.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 11:11 pm

I usually don't have too many issues, but one site I frequent uses very lousy homemade captchas. Part of the issue in general is that there are already programs which can beat captchas, so more intricate ones were devised. Eventually the programs will equal our own abilities, perhaps even surpass. They could ultimately be vital to the evolution of robotics.

But they do not have me

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2010, 11:31 pm

I HATE these things. It's the classic American (read "cheap and lazy") way of attempting to solve a problem. Hopefully some organization that represents the disabled will sue and we'll be rid of these. If this follows the typical pattern, companies will spend more money on trying quick fixes like this than they ever would have if they just required ID and/or payment to get in.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 11:39 pm

Quote:
For years I didn't understand that the audio CAPTCHAs aren't supposed to be reading the letters displayed in the graphic,

Me too. And I can't make sense of verbal and auditory imput at the same time if they aren't identical.

I think it's normal to have trouble with CAPTCHAs.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 4:04 am

It often takes me several attempts to get one correct.

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2010, 4:22 am

Captchas are only good for these.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

12 Dec 2010, 5:26 am

At first I thought you were talking about these native american spirit dolls when I read the title of the thread. Shows how computer literate I am

Anyway, the black and white ones arent so bad, after you press the refresh button 3 or 4 times to find one that is readable...but the colored, backwards, inside out and upside down ones with splatters all over them are really hard...most of the time I figure that if they make it that hard to use their site, I dont bother going. If you do get on the site, contact their sponsors and tell them that they should not advertize with a company that is so disability unfriendly and you will not buy their product for supporting this and you will tell all your friends to do the same.
I promice you, that site will change real quick or lose their sponsors. That is how you deal with that problem instead of suing them. Suing them only makes you poor most of the time, and who is going to go out looking for a lawyer anyway...but with a few phone calls, you can give them a whole new outlook :wink:

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

12 Dec 2010, 11:16 am

I also have trouble with them. It's so annoying. It usually takes me quite a few goes until I get one right. Sometimes I think I have done it correct and it turns out not to be correct, though; that's when I get most confused! Other times I just keep refreshing until I find one that I think is readable. I would think this is a pretty common problem though, because some of them are seriously so confusing!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 11:36 am

Crappy
Annoying
Pointless
Troublesome
CAPTCHAs
Hate
Aspies

:P

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 6:17 pm

IMCarnochan wrote:

+1 :lol:

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 7:52 pm

I have trouble with them. I also have trouble saying "Captcha"... I always want to say "Capture".