Why do NT's NEED to be on the phone 24/7?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

johnnydangerous
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2010, 1:52 pm

Good God, I go INSANE when I have to even call the bank or something for 5 minutes over an issue. Yet I work in a major city and a job where I see people a lot everyday. From what I observe, NT's NEED to be on the phone 24/7.

Women are the worst at this. The cell phone for them is like LIFE SUPPORT. Take it away, and they'll die very quickly.

It's like they need some sort of CONSTANT VALIDATION. "It's been 5 minutes since I've talked to someone...OH MY GOD!! ! Am I still relevant??? How does this affect my facebook status??? I need to call someone NOW!! ! I simply MUST have a phone in my ear 24/7. GOD FORBID I walk down a street, or in a store, and actually not be blubbering on my cell for 2 goddang seconds!! !"

Then you have the "ultra-hip" business guys who want to show you "how important and busy" they are. This is a VERY big thing for NT's, showing you what a big shot they have become in life. "Can't talk now' brah....I'm on the phone completing my latest big wig deal. Aint I cool, brah?"

I find NT's to be so pathetic and phony. They have 500 "friends" on facebook and they are all using each other for "social status". At least when an Aspie has a friend THEY ARE REAL, but NT's just dont get the concept of what a "real friend" is.

So...why do NT's NEED to be on the phone so much?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 1:57 pm

You just answered your own question. Maybe one or two things could be added (I guess) but you summed it up pretty well.

In any case, you are too normal for people like that, and you obviously don't need to talk to people all the time, so don't worry about them. There are some NTs that don't have to be on the phone all the time. Most of my friends are like this.

johnnydangerous
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2010, 2:01 pm

Mindslave wrote:
You just answered your own question. Maybe one or two things could be added (I guess) but you summed it up pretty well.

In any case, you are too normal for people like that, and you obviously don't need to talk to people all the time, so don't worry about them. There are some NTs that don't have to be on the phone all the time. Most of my friends are like this.

But its not just a handful, it seems to be EVERYONE these days. Man I feel as if the world around me is "weird" and I am normal. NT's judge people with A.S....."why isnt he on the phone 24/7? what a weirdo! I wont hang with him!" Yet eventhough I consider blabbing on the phone 24/7 annoying and bizzare, Id still be willing to hang with that person.

I hate NT's.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 2:12 pm

I've noticed the phrase "you talk too much" doesn't apply to talking on the phone as far as NTs are concerned. They seem to think it only applies when talking to someone in person. Anybody else notice this?

johnnydangerous
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2010, 2:39 pm

Venger wrote:
I've noticed the phrase "you talk too much" doesn't apply to talking on the phone as far as NTs are concerned. They seem to think it only applies when talking to someone in person. Anybody else notice this?

I dont know how anyone can talk about the nonsense they do all day like they can. I'd have a headache in 10 seconds.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 2:48 pm

Many NTs are quick to say or think someone is talking to much if the conversation is face to face. Then they go and blab on the phone for hours on end. It's like NTs think talking on the phone is exempt and doesn't count or something.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 2:56 pm

Venger wrote:
Many NTs are quick to say or think someone is talking to much if the conversation is face to face. Then they go and blab on the phone for hours on end. It's like NTs think talking on the phone is exempt and doesn't count or something.

It's the same reason that you could have the same conversation in person as you do on the Internet or the phone or other informal means of communication, and he/she agrees with you in person, but not over the phone, or especially over the Internet. Albert Einstein could post something on the Internet, and people would disagree with him because they can.

Possibly a bigger reason for that is when they are in public, they don't want to be seen as "weak" (i.e. talking to the same person too much, nobody wants to be too dependent on one person, oh nooooo) and so they need to go talk to someone else to prove how popular and versatile they are.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 3:13 pm

Look if there's something about them you don't understand, it doesn't mean you have to bash em. Are you really asking a question if this is just another pathetic excuse to prove how much more superior we are? Jesus f*****g Christ grow up. You're projecting yourself onto them and assuming they're seeking validation just because that's what it would take for you to socialize as much as them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 3:19 pm

No one can be on the phone 24/7 or how else do they sleep and shower and go to bed and do their jobs or cook and get other things done? :lol:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 3:23 pm

League_Girl wrote:
No one can be on the phone 24/7 or how else do they sleep and shower and go to bed and do their jobs or cook and get other things done? :lol:

He didn't mean literally 24/7 of course. Just a figure of speech for excessive phone use.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 3:33 pm

I don't think it is accurate to say NT's need to be on the phone 24/7. Some people talk on the phone more than others. Women generally talk on the phone more than men. My sisters used to talk on the phone frequently as teenagers, while my brother's conversations usually consisted of no more than a few words. I know many men who talk on the phone for hours at a time,and then I know women who rarely use the phone.

It depends on the individual person.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2010, 4:15 pm

The oddest part of it is, the cell phone as we know it today has only been around for ten years. Before that, they were size of a Thin Mints box and only a handful of people had them. Most cell phones were hardwired into the front seat of a car, or carried in a bag as big as a notebook binder. Texting? Never heard of it. Its amazing how fast people became addicted to them. I carry one in my pocket, but its just for emergencies. I actually hate talking on it, its too damn small.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 4:27 pm

Avengilante wrote:
The oddest part of it is, the cell phone as we know it today has only been around for ten years. Before that, they were size of a Thin Mints box and only a handful of people had them. Most cell phones were hardwired into the front seat of a car, or carried in a bag as big as a notebook binder. Texting? Never heard of it. Its amazing how fast people became addicted to them. I carry one in my pocket, but its just for emergencies. I actually hate talking on it, its too damn small.

I think those very large ones are known as "mobile phones".

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 4:46 pm

Being a ham (amateur) radio operator,
I get told I talk alot,
other hams will say "he's a ham that's
how we are."

Not so much an "excuse" as a joke excuse,
I talk far more on the radio than I do
on the phone, I carry my scanners and
my former police radios (converted
into ham radios that I bought from eBay)
for my own safety in case of emergency
also.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Meggo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2010, 5:05 pm

I don't believe all NTs need to be on the phone constantly or that they all talk on the phone to assure their self-worth. Some people just like to communicate with others. However, I do believe it's easier for them to do so than Aspies.

I hate calling people to even order take-out and yet it's part of my job to call people. One of the agents I work for calls one person after another for hours until he has spoken to at least 40 people. That would put me in the hospital for a nervous breakdown.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 5:06 pm

Venger wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

He didn't mean literally 24/7 of course. Just a figure of speech for excessive phone use.
Her response wasn't literal either. I guess this whole literal and figurative thing is a squirrely issue lol