Do you still believe in the Autistic Community & Culture

Page 8 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 10:19 am

Quote:

nah i never believed in it.
too many imposters.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 10:24 am

Simsam114 wrote:
There already is an Autistic culture. They're called "Trekkies".

8) More specifically, Star Trek copied us!

At one time, when I was not treated well (some time ago), another Aspie reminded me to 'not forget my roots.' Yes; I've historically been teased for being '7 of 9.' 'Aut' in Autistic is from automated, autonomous, etc, where 'aut' means self, of the mind. Cybernetic organisms do look for others and network. We are the collective.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 10:26 am

b9 wrote:
Quote:

too many imposters.

'K. Another answer to the query: Am not sure if I "believe in" NT community &/or culture.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 10:48 am

LabPet wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:

too many imposters.

'K. Another answer to the query: Am not sure if I "believe in" NT community &/or culture.

i do not know what you are trying to say. just remove my post, i can not explain what i thought a few minutes ago.

just delete it ok?

you are way beyond the ceiling of my consciousness and i give you authority to remove my post because my post is not well thought out

tomorrow and in future, i will think more carefully before i post.
sorry for the way i am tonight,

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 11:02 am

b9 wrote:
LabPet wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:

too many imposters.

i do not know what you are trying to say. just remove my post, i can not explain what i thought a few minutes ago.

just delete it ok?

you are way beyond the ceiling of my consciousness and i give you authority to remove my post because my post is not well thought out

tomorrow and in future, i will think more carefully before i post.
sorry for the way i am tonight,

My apologies, b9 - and not my intent, at all. I am in agreement - just added on. Your post is spot on. (Really, sorry - no offense at all).

Anyhow, I think this thread has plenty of ideas! Sometimes just tossing about ideas is good. There's no "answer(s)," of course, just input and ideas.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2011, 11:39 am

graywyvern wrote:
i'm wondering if the fact of economic marginalization may have something to do with the lack of a forceful off-line AS movement. it seems to me that a lot of us are struggling with daily life, & don't have extra energy, time, or money for any special activism. i wouldn't blame it on apathy.

It's because everyone thinks that autistic people are all low-functioning and are therefore unable to work. Disabled people have high rates of unemployment because everyone likes to pretend we don't exist or that we're helpless china dolls.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 3:49 pm

Molecular_Biologist wrote:
I would venture to say that their aren't enough highly functioning individuals to create such a culture.
At least 90% of autistics are capable enough to participate in the Autistic Culture.
In the United States, there are about 3 million autistics.
Therefore, about 2.7 million autistic Americans can participate in the Autistic Culture in America. I think this amount of people is more than enough to sustain a viable Autistic Culture.

http://www.autscape.org/

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 4:44 pm

KenG wrote:
I would venture to say that their aren't enough highly functioning individuals to create such a culture.
At least 90% of autistics are capable enough to participate in the Autistic Culture.
Therefore, about 2.7 million autistic Americans can participate in the Autistic Culture in America. I think this amount of people is more than enough to sustain a viable Autistic Culture.

Do you have a source for this information?

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 2:15 pm

Delirium wrote:
KenG wrote:

Do you have a source for this information?
I know there are about 3 million autistics in the United States, because there are about 300 million people in the United States and because 1 out of every 100 people is autistic.
( I know 1 out of every 100 people is autistic from here:
http://www.ic.nhs.uk/statistics-and-dat ... urvey-2007
This was tested in England, so it has to be about the same in the United States).

I know at least 90% of autistics are capable enough to participate in the Autistic Culture, because at least 90% of autistics here in Israel are yet to be diagnosed. (If they are capable enough to evade diagnosis, then they are also capable enough to participate in the Autistic Culture).

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 2:33 pm

KenG wrote:
I know there are about 3 million autistics in the United States, because there are about 300 million people in the United States and because 1 out of every 100 people is autistic.
( I know 1 out of every 100 people is autistic from here:
http://www.ic.nhs.uk/statistics-and-dat ... urvey-2007
This was tested in England, so it has to be about the same in the United States).

I know at least 90% of autistics are capable enough to participate in the Autistic Culture, because at least 90% of autistics here in Israel are yet to be diagnosed. (If they are capable enough to evade diagnosis, then they are also capable enough to participate in the Autistic Culture).

1. I'd like a source for the Israel stuff.
2. You told me how many autistic people there are, but what about how many HFA people? And not every autistic person wants to participate in said culture.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 4:47 pm

Quote:

It is very possible that some of those that are not very capable are the ones that don't seek a diagnosis, understand how to get a diagnosis, or even understand why they have difficulties. And, for those that are somehow evading, not needing, or not wanting a diagnosis, this may indicate that they want to be part of mainstream culture. In this case they may not need or want another type of culture.

I'm sure there are many high functioning autistic people that are capable of participating in Autistic Culture that aren't diagnosed. But, like most people some of them may be on the fast track in life of working, shopping, watching TV, using computers, raising families, mowing the lawn, etc., just doing the best they can like everyone else.

In many ways culture has moved from a face to face social culture to a more electronic culture, and is more restricted to the home. This as far as I can see is the mainstream culture of America. It's not likely these people are going to have the time or effort required to participate in another culture. Maybe the culture in Israel is different enough to influence this, but in general, it is human nature to want to fit in what is considered to be mainstream, if possible.

For those that can't fit in mainstream culture, whatever other cultural alternatives that are available are great. The question is, if a person can't fit in mainstream culture, are they going to attempt to fit into another alternate culture outside of the online world? And, if a highly functional Autistic person is operating in mainstream culture, why would they want to be part of another culture? The mainstream part, may consume all the energy, effort, and desire they have to participate.

When I think of culture I think of the Arts, Theater, Music, Literature, Historical Societies, Museums, etc. When you talk about the other 90% it brings to mind the BAP "Broad Autistic Phenotype" that has been suggested to compromise 10% of the general population. I think that many of these people are already the people that drive what is considered as the classic notion of Culture: The Artists, the musicians, Actors, Writers, Historians, etc.

Without the people who are driven by their special interests, above and beyond their desire or ability for socialization, how much classic culture would be left? I also think that many of these people that aren't creating the culture are the people that enjoy the experience and peformance of others in theater, music, art, museums, historical societies, literature groups, etc. I think it is these other 90% in the BAP that may be the most involved in what is left of the classic culture that we already have that is expressed around the world.

I used to consider art festivals, concerts, etc. one of the highlights of my life, I just can't deal with the crowds and sensory experience anymore.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 5:11 pm

Evading diagnosis doesn't take any particular capability at all.

However the mainstream autistic culture in America has never depended only on those considered the most capable. There have always been people involved who you guys probably wouldn't think were capable of participating. Always. Back to the beginning. Some of you need to broaden your idea of participation.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 10:48 am

EnglishLulu wrote:
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling sceptical and disillusioned Ken. You've always struck me as quite an enthusiastic and dedicated activist and I have a lot of respect and admiration for your determination to participate and make things happen.
Thank you. I recently initiated and helped to produce an Israeli newspaper article about the autistic community (to be published soon). Today, I was filmed for a documentary (to be filmed over the next year) about my autistic self-advocacy activities, here in Israel and abroad. Therefore, I guess I'm doing even more nowadays than I did before.
I'm a bit skeptical, after appearing in 3 national and one local newspaper/magazine articles, which didn't change anything at all. I guess we need to make regular media appearances, in order to start moving things forward in this country.
We had about 25 people in the Autistic Pride Day event in Israel last year, which was nice, but it was still tiny compared to what I want it to become. Well, c'est la vie...

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 11:19 am

KenG wrote:
EnglishLulu wrote:
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling sceptical and disillusioned Ken. You've always struck me as quite an enthusiastic and dedicated activist and I have a lot of respect and admiration for your determination to participate and make things happen.
Thank you. I recently initiated and helped to produce an Israeli newspaper article about the autistic community (to be published soon). Today, I was filmed for a documentary (to be filmed over the next year) about my autistic self-advocacy activities, here in Israel and abroad. Therefore, I guess I'm doing even more nowadays than I did before.
I'm a bit skeptical, after appearing in 3 national and one local newspaper/magazine articles, which didn't change anything at all. I guess we need to make regular media appearances, in order to start moving things forward in this country.
We had about 25 people in the Autistic Pride Day event in Israel last year, which was nice, but it was still tiny compared to what I want it to become. Well, c'est la vie...

I'm also really impressed with the strides you've initiated, KenG. Your efforts are not in vain! Granted, change in slow but there is direction. Just in regards to this post alone, many have responded with interest.

P.S. Still, sorry for the misinterpretation, b9, and I should have clarified better.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 3:02 pm

EnglishLulu wrote:
I suppose it's only to be expected that your moods relating to autistic community and culture might go up and down, sometimes you might feel more positive, at other times more despondent, depending not just on what you're doing, but also what others are doing with you, and what you see others doing elsewhere around the globe.
Exactly.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:45 pm

EnglishLulu wrote:
As for whether I'm optimistic or whether I share your scepticism, I'm not sure. I always say I'm an optimistic pessimist in that I hope for the best but I'm prepared to deal with the worst. I have many talents, but an ability to predict the future isn't one of them, but potential problems I can foresee include that perennial problem relating to organising Aspies, i.e. it's been likened to herding cats. That's a major problem in terms of anyone trying to make an effort to organise others or a community more generally. As is the executive dysfunction that many individuals suffer from, myself included.
Since aspies tend to excel at very specific roles, some aspies work very well in teams, as long as they have well defined assignments.
That's how aspies organise themselves in various formal structures, like the Autistic Self Advocacy Network, Autscape, the London Autistic Rights Movement, etc.
Executive dysfunction in most areas is sometimes compensated for by high executive functioning in specific areas.