Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

mikie1091
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm

ok im being honest why do i have so many nightmares i mean i have a dream catcher but my dreams seem so real and they scare me i dreamed i drowned a few nights ago and i woke up scared but was ok anyone else have these issues i take adhd meds

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 12:59 pm

Did the nightmares start when you started taking the meds? They could be causing them. Avoid eating before bed. Try to take some time to relax during the day to reduce stress. Make your bedroom a comfortable, relaxing place. Get some exercise during the day. Try to think happy thoughts as you drift off to sleep.

mikie1091
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2016, 1:03 pm

i had nightmares since i was a kid an my room is comfortable i think i just get scared easy sometimes yelling really scars me i think i may stop eating at night it may help

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm

I've always had nightmares, either Jumping into chaos, or like a Super Smash bros
Brawl style boss fight with evil. :lol: That is how I describe it at least. when I was a kid I remember a Monster that was like a Bigfoot, but was after me, and was also like the boggy monster as it only appears as night.

Like that. Though, I'm sure you get the idea.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 1:35 pm

Yeah, I had a dream that I was stuck while water was rising around me a while ago and just 2 nights ago I had a dream what I was shot multiple times. Those kinds of things are definitely terrifying.

Something I would recommend even if you weren't having nightmares is lucid dreaming. It can, among other things, be used to confront whatever fear is making you have that nightmare. I suggest you look into it more, because it can be both useful and very fun. It's a skill that anyone can learn, I am in the process of learning it although I am yet to have a lucid dream lasting more then about 15 seconds but it's definitely been a pretty wild ride so far. Feel free to ask me more about it, either via PM or on this thread. I obsessed over it for a while so I'm quite knowledgeable on the topic.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2016, 8:13 pm

I get recurring sudden-falling nightmares. I feel it, and jerk awake, and sometimes I will have a dream surrounding it, like jumping off a building (or being pushed), falling down stairs, falling off a roof, airplane out of the sky, etc. I've even dreamt I'm a flying superhero and my 'powers' failed, and I plummet to the earth. I startle awake every time.

It happens most when I'm overtired.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 9:17 am

Brittniejoy1983 wrote:
I get recurring sudden-falling nightmares. I feel it, and jerk awake, and sometimes I will have a dream surrounding it, like jumping off a building (or being pushed), falling down stairs, falling off a roof, airplane out of the sky, etc. I've even dreamt I'm a flying superhero and my 'powers' failed, and I plummet to the earth. I startle awake every time.

It happens most when I'm overtired.

Yeah, me to The way I interpret it is falling into Chaos, or the Unknown.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 10:19 pm

If I become cold once I am asleep, either cause I get too hot and sweat then suddenly have my body temperature drop, or the room temperature drops a lot, this will trigger nightmares for me almost guarateed. I find if I have a gut ache while I'm asleep, that too triggers nightmares. Otherwise I don't have much of a problem. I have found that in the past, certain meds caused me to have REALLY vivid dreams which seemed more real than when I was awake. I have been able to have lucid dreams on a handful of occasions. I also have some ability to influence or control a fair number of my dreams.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 9:43 am

When I was young, I used to have nightmares. Most of them involved being in fires. A fire department came to the grade school and gave a slide show of house fires. Unfortunately, there were very graphic pictures of fire victims (mostly 3rd degree burns) in the presentation and it scarred me for a few years. The worst one was of a young girl who was found under her bed after the fire was put out. I can still remember the image like it was yesterday, but it no longer bothers me.

After a move to a new school (and the start of five years of constant bullying), I was able to channel my anger/rage into my nightmares to modify them so they were no longer a threat to me. My Dr. Frankenstein side was unchained and allowed to work unheeded upon the bullies as targets. Fire became a friend of mine there. My dreams really became other kids nightmares (if they only knew). That method of dreaming lasted about seven years or so before I switched over to a more useful and peaceful dream modifying technique: problem solving dreams.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 10:11 am

Meds can mess with your dreams. So can stuff like caffeine. If I do any gaming to close to bed time, that usually messes up my dreaming.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 10:30 am

My dreams are always bizarre, and often nightmares. Now more often than not. I don't know why.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 10:39 am

Yigeren wrote:
My dreams are always bizarre, and often nightmares. Now more often than not. I don't know why.
Stress, stress, stress coupled with a lack of sleep means you are getting punctuated spikes in your REM cycle and who knows what your brain is trying to sort through during sleep.

I've always had nightmares. But for some reason, about 10, I learned to do lucid dreaming on my own. Then it got interesting because it became like watching a monster movie or something. Didn't always work though.

For me, the worst nightmares are the subtle ones. They affect my mood when I wake. They hit me deep.

But, the worst for me are the falling dreams. Terrified of heights.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Gadersd
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2016, 11:32 am

I seldom have nightmares, but when I do have them I enjoy the rush.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm

I have nightmares from time to time, during times of trouble. I had one last night. I had to give up some items that mean the world to me.