Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

father
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2016, 6:29 am

Hello everyone, I want to know what is meant by autism with possible later diagnosis of intellectual disability . Or autism alone , without mental disability. What criteria is being used, and how pertinent are these criteria?. Thank you .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 8:37 am

Usually, if a person has an IQ of 70 or above, they are not considered to be intellectually disabled.

father
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2016, 8:35 pm

Not the iq thing please, let's dig deeper science.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 8:37 pm

That's how they determine whether somebody's intellectually disabled.

Hell no, it's not perfect, or even close to that.....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 1:16 am

It means what they used to call mentally ret*d. They thought I was intellectually disbled until I was about 8 years old. But turned out to cognitive impairment and learning disability.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Oct 2016, 3:35 am

father wrote:
Hello everyone, I want to know what is meant by autism with possible later diagnosis of intellectual disability . Or autism alone , without mental disability. What criteria is being used, and how pertinent are these criteria?. Thank you .

From the terminology you use, I am guessing you are American or in another territory which uses the DSM.

ID includes "intellectual and adaptive functioning deficits in functional, social, and conceptual domains".

Intellectual functioning is judged using standard psychometric tests. Adaptive functioning is the ability to meet sociocultural norms. If it is impaired, you have limited functioning in one or more areas of daily life, including social communication and independent living. Again, this is supposed to be measured with tests.

Finally, the onset must have been during the developmental period - so people who lose intellectual and adaptive functioning due to an accident don't count.

All taken from here: https://aaidd.org/docs/default-source/a ... f?sfvrsn=0

Autism is associated with difficulties in adaptive functioning, but not necessarily with intellectual functioning. So the simplistic "if you have a low IQ" answers are pretty much accurate for a person who clearly has autism.