How did your teacher's deal with bullies?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 4:46 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
Encouraged them and told me it was my fault I was being bullied

I go that a lot as well.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 4:57 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

I go that a lot as well.

I third that. I was told that i was an "easy target", when i asked for advice on how not to be an easy target, i was told to "keep a low profile" i never understood what that meant, and i was ashamed to ask. I assumed in meant literally "keep your head down" which led to more bullying because that in and of itself made me an easy target.

Why cant educators use easy to understand phrases?

I got detention many times with different teachers--> when they told me to "read between the lines" i replied back "but there are no words there!" I couldnt understand why i was wrong or why i was being punished other than "being a smart-aleck"

School was no "safe learning environment" for me, "zero tolerance policies" are effing BS! If i ever have children (which is a long shot b/c i cant even find a girlfriend) i will homeschool them or put them in a Christian school, i will not subject a child to the horrorshow that is public school.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 5:00 pm

Poorly to say the least.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 8:22 pm

When I was fourteen in eighth grade some bully took four of my dungeons and dragons books while I was in the library. I told the librarian but she did not believe me even though I had six witnesses from my gaming group (We had a game going on when he took my books) She told me that he volunteers at her church and he would never do such a thing. He had the books in his bag and they all had my name on the inside the covers. All she had to do was look but she took his word for it. I was bitching to anyone who would listen in my next class. I got lucky some jock who did not like the kid who took my stuff said he would get my books back. He forced him out of lunch then he came back without the bully but with my books. The bully did not come back because he ran up stairs to tell the librarian I got someone to take his books from him. The jock told me what the bully was doing so I called my dad from the principles office and the principle called the bully to the office. When my dad showed up he was fired up looking for a fight. The kid stood there with a smirk on his face while he was staring at me while we were standing in the principles office but that smirk went away when my dad stormed in. My dad got in the librarians face screaming at her like a drill sargeant on crystalmeth. She had to sit down and was acting like she was going to have a nervous break down. :lol: My dad told the principle I had to clear brush on my dad's hunting property he owns to get those books in the middle of the July heat. He also said they had my name on the inside cover why didn't you look. So I told my dad what she said that he was from her church therefore could never steal. So my dad told her f@ck your church then threatened to sue the librarian, the school district, and the bullies parents. I got my books back and the bully got internal suspension. I could not believe she would take the word of that idiot over me just because they went to the same church. I hope she dies of a yeast infection.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 8:40 pm

From my experience teachers either ignored it, acted like the victim was part of/with the people causing trouble, or even worse the victim is the one who gets punished and sent to the principal (that happened to me).

However, as my husband told me, teachers' "hands are tied", they can't do anything or they lose their job, especially these days they can't even touch a student, even to just grab one by the arm or something like that. And for their defense, once in a while (again something my husband pointed out) they actually are not sure who was causing the "trouble".

Anyway, despite what my husband said, I still think none of this is a good excuse, it is because of this that bullying continues, if schools had strong rules against bullying it wouldn't happen so much.

Another thing my dear NT husband said, is that bullying is good in a way because it teaches you about some things that happen in life, at jobs, etc, to everyone ... obviously he's not the one who spent his childhood wishing he was dead ...

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 8:47 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

I go that a lot as well.

Me too, even my husband said yesterday, bullies just check for a reaction and you have to learn how to react and defend yourself ... like I haven't tried. Mainly it was my fault if I was the victim because I didn't react the right way. If I had known how I was supposed to react I would have done it!! !

I simply asked him the question (subject of this thread) and we ended up arguing for 2 hours ... I'm so tired of this.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 8:52 pm

Shadi2 wrote:
From my experience teachers either ignored it, acted like the victim was part of/with the people causing trouble, or even worse the victim is the one who gets punished and sent to the principal (that happened to me).

This happened to me a lot. Especially the being punished part.

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2010, 8:54 pm

Shadi2
When I deliberately ignored a kid who stuck his head in my lap in ninth grade Algebra, my teacher decided that I was the one didn't understand the implications and that I needed to go to social skills therapy. I tell you a diagnosis is a death sentence.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 9:03 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
Shadi2 wrote:

This happened to me a lot. Especially the being punished part.

yeah me too, I think especially if they are in class or somewhere where the teacher can see them, they (bullies) can be really sneaky, so you (or at least I was) end up being the one who has a reaction that the teacher can see. They (the teachers) should be smart enough to figure out that you had a reaction for a reason tho.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 9:04 pm

Ariela wrote:
Shadi2
When I deliberately ignored a kid who stuck his head in my lap in ninth grade Algebra, my teacher decided that I was the one didn't understand the implications and that I needed to go to social skills therapy. I tell you a diagnosis is a death sentence.

wow so you didn't react at all and you still ended up being the one punished??

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 9:08 pm

Shadi2 wrote:
yeah me too, I think especially if they are in class or somewhere where the teacher can see them, they (bullies) can be really sneaky, so you (or at least I was) end up being the one who has a reaction that the teacher can see. They (the teachers) should be smart enough to figure out that you had a reaction for a reason tho.

Actually same for me. I reacted and was punished for my reaction. They wouldn't even adhere to a trial.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 9:15 pm

PunkyKat wrote:

I had a teacher yell at for the same thing and said I deserved it because I went out of my way to be different. :roll: She kept saying I do not have trouble in my class until you show up. So after class I told her I am sorry but I do not asked to be picked on or beat up in her class. So she just tells me I am pathetic then pointed to the door for me to leave.

Last edited by Todesking on 25 Dec 2010, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2010, 9:23 pm

Shadi2
I wasn't penalized. My teacher just thought I was stupid and sexually naive and didn't understand the sexual implications. Of course it seemed like a punishment because social skills groups are pretty useless and school psychologists are a pain in the ass. Psychologists always have to put a label on someone's behavior She made me feel as if I was f*****g ret*d. Public school psychologists are sadistic pigs. They really derive pleasure from others' misfortune. Thats why they work in the public schools as opposed to a private practice which is more lucrative. Adult clients can pick and choose the psychologist they like but school children are stuck so school psychologists can get away with whatever anything.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 10:17 pm

My teachers DIDN'T deal with bullies, and many of them were bullies themselves.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 12:57 am

Ariela wrote:
Shadi2
I wasn't penalized. My teacher just thought I was stupid and sexually naive and didn't understand the sexual implications. Of course it seemed like a punishment because social skills groups are pretty useless and school psychologists are a pain in the ass. Psychologists always have to put a label on someone's behavior She made me feel as if I was f***ing ret*d. Public school psychologists are sadistic pigs. They really derive pleasure from others' misfortune. Thats why they work in the public schools as opposed to a private practice which is more lucrative. Adult clients can pick and choose the psychologist they like but school children are stuck so school psychologists can get away with whatever anything.

What about the stupid guy who stuck his head in your lap? was there any consequence for him at all?

Its just so typical, the bullies get away with everything (usually), while the bullied are the ones getting labeled and even thrown out of school sometimes.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 12:59 am

Todesking wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

I had a teacher yell at for the same thing and said I deserved it because I went out of my way to be different. :roll: She kept saying I do not have trouble in my class until I show up. So after class I told her I am sorry but I do not asked to be picked on or beat up in her class. So she just tells me I am pathetic then pointed to the door for me to leave.

Your teacher was a jerk and a coward.