Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 11:18 am

I don't know about in the USA but there is A LOT of snobbery in riding schools in the UK. The first one I went to when I was 10, kept putting me on a stallion who obviously didn't like being ridden. When my mum complained, they just shrugged her off but when one of the other kids' parents complained about something it was sorted immediately. We were a working class family and had saved for months for the lessons whereas for the others, it was like pocket change!

I don't think that it was fair for them to keep forcing the poor horse to have me on it's back when it blatantly would rather be a field horse! Does anyone else think it is cruel to keep forcing a horse to be ridden if it has been untameable for a long time?

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2010, 2:19 pm

When I was a lot younger, I used to ride. I don't think I was ever the one to suggest it as an activity, but my one friend in high school, and later, my first husband, were both enthusiasts, so I've done it quite a lot.

I've never had a riding lesson. I can see how it would be difficult to learn that way ~ I tend to be very uncoordinated, and I have a hard time learning physical activities, unless they happen to come naturally.

I've never felt quite in control of a horse, which might be different if I'd taken some lessons. ~~ But on the other hand, I feel like no one is ever completely in control of the horse they're riding. I have a few close friends who ride all the time, and they have all been hurt by their own horses, or very familiar horses (i.e. boarders) ~ Sometimes badly hurt.

A long time ago, waiting with a few others for the rest of the group to catch up, the horse I was sitting on suddenly took off into the woods (meanwhile, the other two horses calmly kept their places) & she ran directly under a low hanging tree branch. It was all so sudden, I got hit by the branch & it almost pushed me to the ground.

The thing is, that could have happened to anyone, even someone who had taken lessons & was very experienced. Horses are just unpredictable, and you risk getting hurt every time you get on one. I know that's true of a car also ~ but my car is less likely to get spooked and lurch off without warning, and if it does, at least I have it around me.

Even still, I think lessons would be really helpful, with the right teacher. My youngest child recently began taking lessons. I always stay and watch, and I must say, I'm amazed. His teacher is incredibly good, very patient, very knowledgeable, great with horses and great with kids. I'm not saying she's going to make my son completely accident-proofed, but he has already learned so many things I never knew when I was riding, & he has only been taking lessons for a few months. I kind of feel jealous, sometimes, when I'm watching them. I never met a riding teacher like her when I was a kid. I know I could still take lessons, but I took a short trail ride with his teacher not long ago. It was fun, but I don't think I'll do it again unless I need to ..... I'm not willing to fall off, though a few decades ago, I thought it was worth taking the chance.

billypony
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2010, 3:18 pm

thanks for all the replies. it's nice to know i'm not the only one who struggles to understand.

ive tried many different instructors, some have been better than others, but at the end of the day i generally feel i wasted my time. often instructors will say the same thing, but it doesnt seem to get through to me. i guess i just have to keep trying? and i will try explaining to them about how i feel too. :)

billypony

29 Dec 2010, 3:27 pm

Jellybean wrote:
I don't know about in the USA but there is A LOT of snobbery in riding schools in the UK. The first one I went to when I was 10, kept putting me on a stallion who obviously didn't like being ridden. When my mum complained, they just shrugged her off but when one of the other kids' parents complained about something it was sorted immediately. We were a working class family and had saved for months for the lessons whereas for the others, it was like pocket change!

I don't think that it was fair for them to keep forcing the poor horse to have me on it's back when it blatantly would rather be a field horse! Does anyone else think it is cruel to keep forcing a horse to be ridden if it has been untameable for a long time?

i know what you mean, i have a little pony that ive had for 7 years, we have a mutual understanding. she doesnt like to be worked hard, so i dont work her hard. most of the time i play with her in the school, dress her up, hack her out, sometimes i will ride her in the school for 20 minutes. i used to keep her at home, and i used to bring her in the house :P she totally trusts me, and i trust her - i hack her out in a headcollor and leadrope :) all horses are different, some clearly love their work and some clearly dont, you can get alot out of a horse without riding for hours on end. i think you have to find what the horse is happy doing.

billypony

29 Dec 2010, 3:31 pm

astaut wrote:
Horsey person over here :) I have one currently but I'm not sure if I'm keeping him.

I don't take lessons, so I can't say. I think I did as a kid, but I don't really remember it, and I don't think I did them for very long.

you should definately keep him, and if you dont, get another :) i'd be lost without my horses.

billypony

29 Dec 2010, 3:49 pm

Moog wrote:
I :heart: centaurz

i <3 unicorns

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 2:40 am

billypony wrote:
astaut wrote:
Horsey person over here :) I have one currently but I'm not sure if I'm keeping him.

I don't take lessons, so I can't say. I think I did as a kid, but I don't really remember it, and I don't think I did them for very long.

you should definately keep him, and if you dont, get another :) i'd be lost without my horses.

I'd like to, but it's complicated...I'm going to school several hours away from home, and have some major health problems. Blegh. :cry:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 2:41 am

Neigh!

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2010, 3:38 am

I am a horse person! But, it's been long (too long) since I've been on one. When I was a teenager (actually starting around 11 I think) I used to have riding lessons. I did find it difficult to understand what my teacher was asking me to do sometimes. She also assigned me books on various techniques which helped somewhat in terms of knowing what she was referring to. However, I'm not sure the way my lessons went is the way you are talking about. She was not a formal instructor (though she later went on to do some stuff with Pony Club, I think), and when I was there I was here only student. I would go to her farm and work and take care of the horses, clean up, etc and do horse and farm-related chores and learn about them, and then I would ride with instruction. She called in an apprenticeship in horsewomanship. Actually, a lot of the occasions where I did something Asperger's related and/or embarrassing that are fixed in my memory were in her company. Maybe because I did like her and wanted to keep doing the horse stuff, or because at that point in my life I hadn't been extensively in the company of adults outside my family for long periods of time, so she commented on things that I wasn't aware of, and sometimes I didn't know when she was joking or being sarcastic (which I think I have improved on). I would get rather stressed when I would do something that she found bizarre or stupid or not follow directions properly, though she was a nice person. I wanted to do well but there were a lot of "clueless" moments that really stand out in my mind.

A lot of times she would expect me to do things that she hadn't specifically told me to do previously, which baffled me at the time. For instance if I arrived and she wasn't there she expected me to do some needed chores, etc basically look at what needed to be done and do it. Instead, I would sit there waiting sometimes for hours. (Once we established things that I should do by default, or she left lists, this was clear). She asked me about a lot of my behavior which she thought was odd, but she didn't have children and wasn't around them much so maybe she chalked it up to inexperience. I remember her asking why I always looked at the ground when I walked. Or when she would make jokes that I didn't get and I wouldn't react right. Or, my problems with recognizing people and getting lost. I remember several times when I was washing the horse and she would comment "don't you just love it when the water ran down your arm into your armpit" (a yucky feeling). At first when she asked if I liked this, I said not really or something. But then she acted like she did, and so I would agree, to be companionable. I realize now that she was being facetious and probably thought it strange and funny that I would react that way, but really I was often confused by what she would tell me and in trying to tread lightly, probably came off even weirder.

Honestly, I don't think I ever got to be a good rider (I would still like to have one of my own someday) but I enjoyed being around the horses, and she would also take me along to events to act as groom.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 10:25 am

I have a horese in my backyard. I started him under saddle myself. I took years of lunge line lessons (this is where the instructor leads the horse with a lunge line while I learned to keep my balance and use appropriate cues). That seemed to be the only way I could learn to ride but it worked. Not only did I start my horse but we went on to competition.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 1:07 pm

I wish I had a horse and could ride. I like horses.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

hesting
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2010, 5:13 pm

I began having riding lessons when I was 12 years old - with some Haflinger horses. <3
One year later I did some Western riding with the horses of a friend of my grandpa.
After our move in 1992 I continued riding in the classical way but not with much success.
Some months later, when I had turned 15, I found a place to help some Icelanders with their horses in exchange for riding lessons. I think that was the best time in my riding career. :) (I quit one year later though because I was becoming anxious about my future at school - I had the chance to go to a college instead of seeking employment at 16 - my parents didn't trust me to succeed back then just like they do now.)

No, I was never able to follow the instructions as easily as others.
And I quite liked the Icelandic horses for being small enough to get on their back easily. :)

So, if I could ride again, I'd definitely prefer a horse up to 1,50m - Haflingers or Iceland horses or maybe other gaited horses. :)

Well, Frisian horses are looking great too. <3

Anybody doing some carriage work with horses?

Jaz1787
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2010, 6:16 pm

sounds like a sh*t instructor.

before you try another one, try talking to them, let them know you're having trouble

my mum was a great (dressage) instructor, but not for me. she'd say something, assuming i knew exactly what she meant. she'd explain it, and then get frustrated because i did it straight away instead when she thought i should do it. or i kept doing it long after i should have stopped because she didnt say to stop

she'd get frustrated at me and i get mad back at her

outside instructors were easier, most of them assume you dont know and tend to explain it better, and they dont get rude when you get it wrong

not to mention she didnt understand that sometimes, i just wasnt up for a lesson. just because she showed up down the paddock didnt mean i wanted her help. sometimes i just wanted to ride.

i have found i make much, much more progress on my own.

but then, it depends where your learning is up to, and what your ambitions are.

feel free to contact me and ask questions

Katiebun2281

30 Dec 2010, 10:03 pm

I don't have a horse but I love them. My aunt has a horse and he is my baby. I envy everyone who has a horse.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 2:22 am

billypony wrote:
does anyone have a horse or ride horses? (with aspergers) (you, not the horse)

i was wondering if anyone else finds lessons hard? like the instructor might as well be talking another language - but when you finally understand what they mean, you realise it was something really simple that you either already new, or if they'd put it a different way you would of understood straight away?

i know this is a long shot, i'm not sure how many horse lovers there is going to be on this sight, but any replies appreciated!

I love horses! The irony is, my mother would take me to a stable where horses were rented by the hour. We would go riding together. She hoped I would grow tired of them after spending more time around them and getting saddle sores but I was such a natural at riding I never grew tired of going. She, however, did and soon began to find excuses not to take me.
All anyone told me was to get the horse to go I had to press the sides of the horse with my knees and to stop, pull back on the reigns. It was straight forward stuff.

WintersTale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2010, 4:39 am

I've never ridden a horse, but I've always wanted to.