weird stereotypes of aspies by other aspies

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Beabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Apr 2011, 11:35 am

I must be the exception to the rule. I drink whenever I go out and I am very clean. I'm not bad looking either lol

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 2:01 pm

I've seen it stated in several places that Aspies are often prone to using alcohol as a form of self-medication. Might apply to me ... I never drink to the point of intoxication but have exactly 2 1/2 glasses of wine pretty much every night I'm not working. Slows my brain down a bit and relaxes me. The self-medication analogy is kind of ironic since my wife tells me the Shiraz I drink tastes like medicine. :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 3:40 pm

I have had alcohol before but I've never been into drinking. Each time I go into a pub (which is rare anyway), I usually order a coke or a J20. Sometimes a shandy. But last time I had a bit of white wine I had stomachache straight after, as if I wanted to have the runs, so I haven't touched white wine since, and I haven't had that type of stomachache since. I don't like drinking alcohol anyway. NTs annoy me when they get so obsessed over drinking and think it's such a fantastic thing to do to get drunk.

And I'm very attractive, and in photos you would never guess which one the Aspie is. I would post a pictures of some of my childhood picture of me when I was about 9 or 10, but I don't know how to do it on here.

Exhumed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2011, 3:51 pm

<<<< attractive younger-looking Aspie who drinks and smokes weed

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 4:04 pm

Catamount wrote:
I've seen it stated in several places that Aspies are often prone to using alcohol as a form of self-medication. Might apply to me ... I never drink to the point of intoxication but have exactly 2 1/2 glasses of wine pretty much every night I'm not working. Slows my brain down a bit and relaxes me. The self-medication analogy is kind of ironic since my wife tells me the Shiraz I drink tastes like medicine. :lol:

I've found that copious amounts of alcohol is a fabulous medication when dealing with groups of NTs. And it's not even hard to get them to drink it.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 4:30 pm

I drink wine diligently every night. I do this even when I´m alone, I think this is one of my rituals. :)

About the looking younger thing: one of the dance schools where I teach at just moved to a new studio. I was recently sitting in a public area there, after my class, relaxing with a cup of tea. The woman who owns the studio I guess had seen me around, but didn´t know who I was, so she asked me if I was a student with the school. I explained to her hesitantly that no, I was a teacher with the school. She said I looked young, therefore she thought I was a student. (The students are usually in their early 20´s, approximately).

Funny enough, this was just a few days after my birthday. I just turned 50. 8O

I guess this means I look kind of young. :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Apr 2011, 5:58 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I know quite a lot of NTs who look younger than their age. The manager at my work is 31, but she literally looks about 16, and she don't wear no make-up or anything like that.

I would love to see distinctions between "NTs can do that too" and "Autistic people are more likely to have this trait" made more often. Just pointing out that NTs can have the trait to means very little.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 1:20 pm

Morgana wrote:
I drink wine diligently every night. I do this even when I´m alone, I think this is one of my rituals. :)

About the looking younger thing: one of the dance schools where I teach at just moved to a new studio. I was recently sitting in a public area there, after my class, relaxing with a cup of tea. The woman who owns the studio I guess had seen me around, but didn´t know who I was, so she asked me if I was a student with the school. I explained to her hesitantly that no, I was a teacher with the school. She said I looked young, therefore she thought I was a student. (The students are usually in their early 20´s, approximately).

Wow. You do look much younger than you are.
I remember meeting you at the WrongPlanet meetup in France and thinking you were pehaps three or four years older than me.
Later, I changed my mind and thought you were the exact same age as me, or slightly younger.

Last year, someone who had just met me asked me "you are about 20, right?".

http://www.autscape.org/

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 3:28 pm

Morgana wrote:

KenG wrote:
Wow. You do look much younger than you are.

Thanks!

KenG wrote:
I remember meeting you at the WrongPlanet meetup in France and thinking you were pehaps three or four years older than me.

Interesting.....

KenG wrote:
Later, I changed my mind and thought you were the exact same age as me, or slightly younger.

What made you change your mind? My social immaturity? :lol: I´m just curious.....

KenG wrote:
Last year, someone who had just met me asked me "you are about 20, right?".

Yes, you look young, too!

Anyway.....I have great memories of that meetup in Avignon. Wish we could do that again sometime......

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 3:54 pm

Morgana wrote:
What made you change your mind? My social immaturity? :lol: I´m just curious.....
I am tempted to say it was your overall immaturity, not just social :)
That, of course, makes you fit in with us very well. It is totally normal for aspies to be immature.

More seriously, I think it was your voice, your body language and the contents of your speech.

Morgana wrote:
Anyway.....I have great memories of that meetup in Avignon. Wish we could do that again sometime......
Yes, we were thinking of doing a WrongPlanet meeting in Morocco in 2010, but we never did.
2011 will probably end before we notice it, so perhaps we should aim for 2012?
Plan a European WrongPlanet meeting a whole year in advance?
Do you reckon we could bring about a dozen participants if we plan a whole year in advance?

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 4:44 pm

KenG wrote:
Morgana wrote:
I am tempted to say it was your overall immaturity, not just social :)
That, of course, makes you fit in with us very well. It is totally normal for aspies to be immature.

More seriously, I think it was your voice, your body language and the contents of your speech.

Very interesting! I have no idea how I "come across" to other people, and most people don´t usually tell me.

And I remember quite a few people at that meetup mentioned my body language as being interesting somehow. And here, me being inside myself as I am, I always have the feeling that my body language is "normal". :lol:

KenG wrote:
Yes, we were thinking of doing a WrongPlanet meeting in Morocco in 2010, but we never did.
2011 will probably end before we notice it, so perhaps we should aim for 2012?
Plan a European WrongPlanet meeting a whole year in advance?
Do you reckon we could bring about a dozen participants if we plan a whole year in advance?

We should give it a try!

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 9:57 am

Morgana wrote:
And I remember quite a few people at that meetup mentioned my body language as being interesting somehow. And here, me being inside myself as I am, I always have the feeling that my body language is "normal". :lol:
From my perspective, you have a hyper-developed body language.
I remember someone at that meetup remarking, in regards to your body language, that you break the stereotype of aspies lacking body language.
I remember someone correcting that by saying aspies are supposed to either lack body language, or have inappropriate, or exaggerated, body language.

I think NT professionals can easily categorize your body language as exaggerated and/or inappropriate.
(I would disagree with them, but maybe it is because I view it from my aspie perspective).
Morgana wrote:
We should give it a try!
Where shall we go to in 2012?
Greece? Italy? Spain?

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 3:19 pm

KenG wrote:
I remember someone at that meetup remarking, in regards to your body language, that you break the stereotype of aspies lacking body language.
I remember someone correcting that by saying aspies are supposed to either lack body language, or have inappropriate, or exaggerated, body language.

I wonder if I´m like that because I´ve been a dancer? I notice that many dancers seem to have exaggerated body language, compared to other people, probably because we get used to expressing ourselves with body movements. Then again, before I got really involved in dance, I do remember kids in school telling me I gestured too much when I spoke- (they would ask if I was Italian; how´s that for a stereotype? 8O ) Anyway, who knows?

I guess maybe this thread has gotten pretty boring for everyone else, hearing all about my body language.... :lol: .... :oops:

Morgana wrote:
We should give it a try!

KenG wrote:
Where shall we go to in 2012?
Greece? Italy? Spain?

I like all of those places, I´d go to any one of them! (If I *had* to choose, maybe Greece??)

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 3:54 pm

Morgana wrote:
I wonder if I´m like that because I´ve been a dancer? I notice that many dancers seem to have exaggerated body language, compared to other people, probably because we get used to expressing ourselves with body movements. Then again, before I got really involved in dance, I do remember kids in school telling me I gestured too much when I spoke- (they would ask if I was Italian; how´s that for a stereotype? 8O ) Anyway, who knows?
Being a dancer causes exaggerated body language?
Or maybe being born with inherent hyper-developed body language makes you become dancers?
The second option seems more logical to me.
Morgana wrote:
I like all of those places, I´d go to any one of them! (If I *had* to choose, maybe Greece??)
Greece is the closest to me, so I would also choose it.
Now, we just have to wait for the rest of WrongPlanet to join this conversation and tell us where they want to go to...