The effect of slow processing speed on social life/skills

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2011, 10:46 am

What do you think?
I have slow processing speed.
perhaps auditory processing disorder(central)
seems harder for me to make friends/girlfriends

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 10:49 am

I had slow processing speed, but I upgraded my computer to an i7 and it's much faster now. Try some new RAM, too ;)

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 10:56 am

Asp-Z wrote:
I had slow processing speed, but I upgraded my computer to an i7 and it's much faster now. Try some new RAM, too ;)

(drumfill)
:wink:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 10:59 am

wefunction wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

(drumfill)
:wink:

*bows*

I'm here all day, folks! :P

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 11:02 am

Yes, I think slow processing speed can affect social life and make it harder to make friends. Neurotypical social interaction is often fast paced and anyone who can't keep up with that seems to get "left behind" so to speak. People don't wait for us to process things and react, they want immediate reaction or they move on or turn to someone else.

This is why I can't participate in group conversations. I need a moment to process what people say and then process or "translate" my response before I say it, but people have usually moved on to another subject by then and they seem to get bored or impatient if they have to wait for me to process something and don't even give me a chance.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 5:48 am

as a hermit i am largely spared from such concerns. but when i have to report for jury duty next week, i wonder how soon before i again get dismissed due to unsuitability? i hope ASAP.

heefman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2011, 6:14 am

Asp-Z wrote:

My brain often feels like an i7 processor with malfunctioning cores and plenty of RAM that only works when it wants to..too many programs always running in the background and can't figure out how to shut them off.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 6:17 am

heefman wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

My brain often feels like an i7 processor with malfunctioning cores and plenty of RAM that only works when it wants to..too many programs always running in the background and can't figure out how to shut them off.

i am a 286 in a world of multithreading pentiums. i have lots of floppy drives [they used to be hard drives when i was younger] but a lot of 'em don't work anymore, and my RAM has been damaged due to a few too many power surges. and would that i could have a math co-processor.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 7:36 am

auntblabby wrote:
heefman wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

i am a 286 in a world of multithreading pentiums. i have lots of floppy drives [they used to be hard drives when i was younger] but a lot of 'em don't work anymore, and my RAM has been damaged due to a few too many power surges. and would that i could have a math co-processor.

Im running an AMD K6 333mhz with 64MB RAM everyone else is running Win7 on Phenom CPUs overclocked to 8Ghz. Mentally, i feel crippled. I arrive at the answer eventually, but in these days of 4G cell broadband, whos going to wait 45 minutes for a song to download?

oh yeah, attempts to overclock and gain speed result in CPU overheating and subsequent slowdowns, no wonder people call me "hotheaded"

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 4:38 pm

My brains have a very high processing speed and to me it seems quite essential in my social interaction with neurotypicals, because it enables me to think logically at a pace only marginally slower than NT's intuitive thinking. I personally can't imagine dealing with social interaction without it...

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:33 am

thechadmaster wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
heefman wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Im running an AMD K6 333mhz with 64MB RAM everyone else is running Win7 on Phenom CPUs overclocked to 8Ghz. Mentally, i feel crippled. I arrive at the answer eventually, but in these days of 4G cell broadband, whos going to wait 45 minutes for a song to download?

oh yeah, attempts to overclock and gain speed result in CPU overheating and subsequent slowdowns, no wonder people call me "hotheaded"

You lot are depressing. I'm an IBM supercomputer.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:34 am

Asp-Z wrote:

lucky you :roll:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:36 am

auntblabby wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

lucky you :roll:

Nah I'm not really. I'm like a normal laptop, but a kinda cool one, like a MacBook Air. That's how I see myself anyway :P

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:21 am

Speed of life topic

My teen aged children dislike my slower speed, as they are impatient, but I have found random others to be a little more forgiving. Familiarity breeds discontent, and this includes social/work/school groups, in other words, those who know how I operate. :? Unfair? Yes.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:27 am

sartresue wrote:
Unfair? Yes.

life is unfair, then you take a number. :idea:

Niamh
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2011, 2:50 pm

I think slow thought processing is a great source of anxiety for me. I realized lately that in overloading situations, I simply don't have enough time and space to process everything that's going on. I'm currently coming out of a week-long period of severe anxiety and panic attacks because of a lot of changes that have occurred recently because I've not had enough time to process all that's been happening and a friend's personal issues put on top of the pile was the last straw and threw me into a whirl of panic. I now know that it's ok to say "no" to extra pressure when I'm under too much myself, even though what counts as "too much" to me doesn't match up to most others' standards, but it's unfortunate that I had to get so mentally and physically sick first to realize that.