Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2006, 1:36 pm

I've just heard back from my doctor who i spoke to about amonth ago about AS. He seemed quite happy to refer me to the local mental health psycologists, but they have written back saying that i don't furfill their assessment 'criteria' and sugest that i contact NAS. So now i'm annoyed!! !
Checked out the NAS website and they had a section about what to do if your doctor refused to refure you but not what to do if no one will actually see you after that!
And my doctor seems fine with refurring me though abit clueless otherwise.
Anyone else come across this or have any advice??
It would be really helplful.

Thanks.

This is so annoying!! !! !! !! :evil:

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2006, 3:46 pm

I don't like it when people don't accept us for who we are.

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2006, 3:23 am

Hi Morphia

Sorry to hear you're having bother. I'm not sure I understand what you want to be referred to NHS psychologists for. I have a feeling that , if you already have a dx, then AS in itself is not something they'd be that interested in. If AS is 'significantly affecting' your life and ability to function then they should be interested. And if you're presenting with e.g. depression, anxiety, other additional pathologies etc then these would add to the case for you being seen. You could also call the mental health people and ask what their 'criteria' are.

Or, if you haven't got a dx and are wanting one, then you have a right to go back to your GP and insist on another referral to another health authority area or team of psychs, or ask GP to push the referral again. According to my local hospital's Patients' Advice and Liaison Service last week, NHS patients can ask for as many 'second opinions' as they like. Whatever, as your GP sounds an amenable person, you should go back and talk the situation over.

I've spoken with NAS and they're very helpful and supportive. They sent me a load of info and a list of private psychologists who are qualified to dx AS. From my experience, this could cost from £400-700. It sounds a lot (but, hey! we have a two tier health service don't we? One reasonable service for those who can pay and a 'free' 4th class one...). I thought it well worth paying though especially since I didn't want to wait for months or years on tenterhooks and, secondly, it's meant that I do have a really personal service from someone who does seem to care and wants to support me in a number of ways.

Try and keep your GP on board though - s/he is the key 'gatekeeper' to any services you may need. Yes, I know they're rather astoundingly clueless (mine is a lovely chap - but it kind of makes you wonder what the hell they do in med school when you're the one who suggests a dx everytime for what you're suffering and he agrees!! LOL)

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2006, 9:45 am

Thanks for the info, i am looking for a diagnosis but don't have any mental health problems such as depression, anxiety etc. I guess i'm lucky that way. I could see that i wouldn't be covered by a 'Mental Health' assessment criteria, i suppose as i function well enough in my everyday life, with the support of my family. However from what my doctor was saying i can't go anywhere else in the area for a diagnosis.
I might talk to him about maybe going outside my area as i would really like to talk to someone who knows about AS my doctor's really nice, bless him, but knows absolutly nothing.
A private pychologist is well over my budget, but i have emailed with NAS so they might have some suggestions for me.