Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Squidward
Raven
Raven

27 May 2010, 12:16 am

Are there any medications in existence which aid to alleviate the various symptoms of Asperger's? I say this because I know that ADHD sufferes take medication to help them focus. I'm wondering if there are any chemicals or drugs which may in turn help stimulate the parts of the brain that govern empathy, comprehension of language, stimming, etc. If there aren't then there should be.

It's not that farfetched an idea, as I have reason to believe that marijuana has helped me somewhat with socializing, namely in that it helps me relax and stop thinking about everything, thus preventing me from information overload or stressing when out with friends.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:23 am

Marijuana is the only "medication" that has ever helped me with my unwanted asperger's traits. Sadly, I live in a state where it's not a legal medication so I don't use it any more. (Working too hard to try to build a life for myself. I would lose too much if I were caught with it.)

I don't know of any pharmaceutical that helps with anything other than the anxiety and depression that tend to come as a result of some asperger's traits and as a result of how others tend to react to those traits.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:41 am

There is no medication for Autism/Asperger's....there is some for anxiety, depression and those sorts of co morbid conditions. I dont know that being stoned all the time is the answer either. I used to think that when I was a teenager but after someone video taped me I realized I dont want to be that person either. Then again maybe it affected me differently. Also in my 20s I thought being drunk made me social and fun until I was so social I got thrown out of a bar (nicely). They just told me I need to go home that I was being a little obnoxious.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:43 am

good ol' nitrous made me temporarily joyous. valium made me not give a good god-damn, and just let it all hang out, plus my back stopped hurting. strattera was the best overall drug for me in that it allowed me to be both alert yet relaxed, and i felt most "normal" on this drug, IOW i was no longer crippled with self-doubt and anxiety, and my clumsiness in social situations as well as in my body movement was greatly reduced. a good [but expensive] drug overall, as long as one doesn't suffer from GERD.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 12:49 am

Antidepressants, non-stimulant AD(H)D meds, and antipsychotics (may help with agitation, executive function, anxiety, and sleep). Try to avoid the controlled substance classes of medications because they are not as reliable in the long term and they can also be addictive.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 1:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
good ol' nitrous made me temporarily joyous. valium made me not give a good god-damn, and just let it all hang out, plus my back stopped hurting. strattera was the best overall drug for me in that it allowed me to be both alert yet relaxed, and i felt most "normal" on this drug, IOW i was no longer crippled with self-doubt and anxiety, and my clumsiness in social situations as well as in my body movement was greatly reduced. a good [but expensive] drug overall, as long as one doesn't suffer from GERD.

Valium works for me and I dont need it unless I have an anxiety attack....or feel one coming on...or If I am having what I call my "autism days" when my sensory system is on overload and I am hypersensitive and over anxious.
I dont like something I have to take all the time but I might look up this Strattera stuff. (EDIT: No ADHD meds for me)
I hate the fact that I have to take pain pills everyday for my back and hip (having my CT tomorrow...hope they figure out what it is this time now...and hoping no more surgery). I cant wait to be free of them.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 1:30 am

Large amounts of alcohol and pot

just kidding, I don't think theres is any real treatments for ASD at this time, only
some medications for co-morbid conditions such as ADD ADHD or depression.
I would avoid any claims that taking LSD, MDMA or Ecstasy may cure ASD, their
effectiveness is spurious if not out right dangerous to anyone dumb enough to follow

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 1:50 am

Energy drinks, depending on how rich you are, because those are very expensive. Coffee is a cheaper alternative.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 1:58 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Coffee is a cheaper alternative.

What does coffee do to you? It puts me to sleep. Big time.

(And gives me breast tumors (fibrocystic breast disease is made worse by caffeine) but that's a different story.)

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2010, 2:07 am

hmm... i read an article that oxytocin was used on autistics and it helped them to empathise and act more NT-ish.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 2:10 am

Sparrowrose wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Coffee is a cheaper alternative.

What does coffee do to you? It puts me to sleep. Big time.

(And gives me breast tumors (fibrocystic breast disease is made worse by caffeine) but that's a different story.)

Coffee gives me a buzz and puts me on autopilot.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 4:29 am

Pot worsens my Aspie traits. Strattera helps my executive dysfunction in that it helps me sort out the jumble in my head. Prozac helps with my emotional resiliency. I am not so overwhelmed. I am one who feels too much empathy, although I have difficulty in expressing it.

CultOfByron
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2011, 6:40 pm

silentbob15 wrote:
Large amounts of alcohol and pot

just kidding, I don't think theres is any real treatments for ASD at this time, only
some medications for co-morbid conditions such as ADD ADHD or depression.
I would avoid any claims that taking LSD, MDMA or Ecstasy may cure ASD, their
effectiveness is spurious if not out right dangerous to anyone dumb enough to follow

I believe Gary Fisher had some very positive results working with Autistic children and adolescents and LSD. Also, Alicia Danforth is about to (if she hasn't already) start working with MDMA to assess its role in promoting empathy, specifically with Aspergers.

I've scanned a number of journals and it's very hard to find toxicology reports on MDMA. LSD, I believe, is relatively safe in this respect, if used correctly in clinical settings.

I for one, await Alicia's results with interest.

Aimless, that is very interesting. I am speaking to a GP next week and will request this to help with my focus/concentration/motivation issues. I don't know how receptive he/she will be, but I just need to know what my options are. ;)

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2011, 8:06 pm

Medical marijuana makes me a lot friendlier. Seems like it's the only thing that helps.

You mad, big pharma?

Krovas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2011, 9:18 pm

After a major depression tailspin over the holidays, I was put on Seroquel 150mg for anxiety and Prozac 20mg for the depression. Aside from some minor stomach complaints, I have to admit they're really helping my general mood. But as somebody has already mentioned, these are just common co morbid conditions. I still feel like a stranger in a strange land most of the time, I can just handle it better.

CultOfByron
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2011, 9:32 pm

IvyMike wrote:
Medical marijuana makes me a lot friendlier. Seems like it's the only thing that helps.

You mad, big pharma?

Are you referring to my post?

If so, yes. However, there isn't any other apparent way to safely or legally try medications that improve cognitive functioning. My eyes are open.