Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2011, 11:41 pm

My one goal in life that is neither illegal nor impossible is to have a girlfriend.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 11:41 pm

Quote:
The numbers just keep getting bigger. Once I have the twelves memorised, I have to memorise the teens and then the infinities. It's impossible to memorise them.

I never memorized very high. I think most people just know the basic numbers and work from there.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 12:44 am

Jediscraps wrote:
Quote:
The numbers just keep getting bigger. Once I have the twelves memorised, I have to memorise the teens and then the infinities. It's impossible to memorise them.

I never memorized very high. I think most people just know the basic numbers and work from there.

Tried it. I just can't get the numbers in the right place when I try to devide three digit numbers.

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

Nothing's wrong with having a goal but I also strongly advice you to get some hands-on experience in a vet clinic before spending all that time and money on vet school. I have a BA in a field that I thought I'd be a good at but it turned out to be a walking disaster at. I got straight A's in all my theory classes but failed on the job. I wish I had worked part time in my field before getting my BA. My parents were the opposite of yours- they were in a big hurry for me to finish my degree. They thought working part time or doing a certificate was a waste of time as the BA had far more prestige for them.

I say, go for the vet tech certificate while keeping the larger goal of eventually finishing vet school. IMO, being a vet tech will give you a real feel for the job more than taking theoretic classes in animal science. Taking care and diagnosing other people's animals is much different from playing with your own pets. If I were you, I'd pursue the vet tech certificate, work a vet clinic or a zoo as an assistant to a vet for a year or two to see what the field is like and then go back to finishing the pre-vet school requirements. It will only delay you becoming a vet by a year or two but the experience you'll get will be a far better preparation for the field than studying out of a textbook.

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

i have no goals. i don't think i ever have or will. maybe because of my anxiety or low self esteem i don't think i can hold down a job so why bother having professional goals when i can't even make money enough to feed myself?

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

When I was 3-4 my dad tried for ages to get me doing multiplication and while my brothers picked it up easily enough I never could...there is just nothing to latch onto with numbers though if you get an explanation like from the television show "Numb3rs" I am able to see it. Once he got me onto reading though there was no stopping me and I far outstripped my brothers in almost every subject, but that is part of my problem, I am literally too unfocused unless something interests me...and everything interests me lol

I am a visual person, which is why I do so well with reading though the rules of grammar tend to be all over the place.

Why is anyone forced into literature instead of just enjoying books for what they are?

I never let the rules of grammar or literature get in the way of a good story.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 3:40 pm

Well, I think the problem is that if you're really stuck on one goal and for whatever reason it turns out to be unattainable you can't adjust and find something else. If you want to be a vet, go for it, do everything you can to get to be a vet, but make sure you have a backup plan if you can't be a vet. My Dad was tech support at a vet college and they only let people in who had an average of 80% or more on pre-veterinary courses. They'd get hundreds of people applying and only accept 10 or so per year.

Ask yourself: what is it about the idea of being a vet that you like? Then see what other careers would also give you that. For example, if you like working with animals, you could be a veterinary nurse or a trainer or a zookeeper or an animal handler if the vet thing doesn't work out. If you like the medical side you could be a vet tech or a biologist/zoologist or a veterinary nurse. And so on.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 1:05 am

Ettina wrote:
Well, I think the problem is that if you're really stuck on one goal and for whatever reason it turns out to be unattainable you can't adjust and find something else. If you want to be a vet, go for it, do everything you can to get to be a vet, but make sure you have a backup plan if you can't be a vet. My Dad was tech support at a vet college and they only let people in who had an average of 80% or more on pre-veterinary courses. They'd get hundreds of people applying and only accept 10 or so per year.

Ask yourself: what is it about the idea of being a vet that you like? Then see what other careers would also give you that. For example, if you like working with animals, you could be a veterinary nurse or a trainer or a zookeeper or an animal handler if the vet thing doesn't work out. If you like the medical side you could be a vet tech or a biologist/zoologist or a veterinary nurse. And so on.

Mostly I want to be a vet becuase there's some real, true morons in the feild who should have gone on to be people doctors instead of vets. I could do so much better because I seem to actualy care about the animals and not their owners or my ego. I'm SO sick and tired of everyone telling me to give up before I have even tried. When people tell you no all the time, it's kinda human nature to defy or rebel them.

I have no desire to do anyting else and no amount of counsling or talk therapy is going to change that. I now see it would probably be a good idea to be a tech or assistant or something first but I'm sick of everyone telling me to give up my my first goal all together.