Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2011, 10:00 am

Great question!
In the past have used words like spaced out and tunnel vision, distracted, OCD kicking in, later learned to use health "excuses", migraine (even when I didn't have one, but when people acted as if there was something wrong with me),
Got into the whole idea of submissive/dominant personalities a few years back, so embraced those terms for a while.

As I age I realize how much of the way we operate in this world, our happiness, our creating our own life, getting what we want, depends on the thoughts/words we use internally, so continue to develop new lists to fit my belief of who I am, and now care less about explaining myself to others unless it would benefit me for them to understand me more because I realized (and continue to realize) how much of who I am when interacting with others is based on some stance of being apologetic. Trying to get rid of that attitude entirely.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 2:02 pm

I tell them I'm on the silly side of weird. :D

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2011, 2:09 pm

Quirky but friendly. An avid reader and net-surfer. Enjoys writing and getting out in nature. Either talks too much or talks too little depending on the situation. Nice to others and compassionate about good causes but sometimes socially clueless. Relates better to children and animals than women my own age.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 2:30 pm

I say I'm a little bit of this and little bit of that.
Actually, I never describe myself to anyone I just would want to say that if asked because I heard a joke once about every person who talks about their past lives are always powerful and famous. No one ever says they were a peasant who did a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 3:00 pm

To people I know won't be a$$es about it, I just say I'm a little autistic. To those I don't think will take it seriously, I don't really say anything. If they ask I say something like i'm socially awkward or just nerdy.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 3:10 pm

I don't usually describe myself unless I absolutely have to, usually because I don't even know how to. For the most part, I generally try to act normal and if anybody notices anything and comments on it, I'll either say, "Yup, I am crazy/weird/etc." or "Wow, really? Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know that." depending upon the situation.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 4:21 pm

Since I also have chronic fatigue syndrome, I usually just say, "I'm very tired today." Not that it works. I would think that tiredness is something that everyone has experienced, but no one ever seems to get that what I mean is, "Please don't talk to me right now."

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 4:47 pm

Maybe I don't understand the question...

In terms of ASD, I try to describe myself in terms of my own set of strengths and challenges, though. In terms of just... me... well, I have no idea what I am or what I'm like.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

01 May 2011, 5:13 pm

OJani wrote:
I think I don't describe myself. People describe me, but not in my presence...

Same here. I'm not even sure people describe me, but I'm sure some of them do (Well, I was asked if I was "special" one time at work and asking why elicited "Because people have been talking..." implying I am talked about rather fondly, lol.)...

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 7:03 pm

I'm not like all the other boys.

That's just how I see myself, that's me to the core, it's the only phrase I dare use with honesty since it's the only one that doesn't seem like an injustice to my many facets.

If someone I didn't know that well asked I would say "tired"

If it's someone I knew medium well I would say "I'm losing my sanity"

If it's someone I knew very well then I'd say "you know what I'm like mum, I don't need to say anything".

RonWren
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2011, 5:29 pm

I'd describe myself as being out there. Way, way, waaay out there. (Gestures toward the cosmos above) :alien:

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 8:36 pm

The weirdest person you will ever meet. Yes.