Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Jan 2011, 11:08 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc6pjVywSDY[/youtube]

John Elder Robison, author of Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's, has a new book, Be Different, out this March. John reads the introduction of Be DIfferent in a movie which I've illustrated with photos from his life. He discusses how Asperger's allowed him to accomplish amazing things in his life, including designing the effects for the band KISS and starting a fine european automobile business in Springfield, MA.

My Autism Talk TV cohost, Jack Robison (Cubby) appears in many photos as he is the son of John. I appear in one of the photos. See if you can spot us!

Jack and I are back next week with a new episode of Autism Talk TV.

Please pre-order John's book on Amazon! http://amzn.to/eZvxzt

-Alex Plank

Last edited by alex on 05 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 1:32 pm

Thank you Alex. The video is spot-on and I'll check out Mr. Robison's new book. Reading his first book, Look Me in the Eye, was very meaningful to me - I appreciate his message and how he conveyed it with such humour and eloquence. I spotted you and Jack in the video 8) Plus the cool light-up *KISS* guitar!

I know Mr. Robison is a Wrong Planet member - he's very inspirational to us all. I really like your Autism Talk TV episodes and there's so many topics yet to be covered.

One a personal note....soon I'll have my PhD (neuroscience) and I know my AS is a gift, albeit a bittersweet gift. I'd not be without, if given the choice. But it can be really hard and mostly due to being misinterpreted by others and taking their callousness. I think keeping one's mind on the goal is the best strategy.

I hope Wrong Planet members can read the new book and then write their own! I hope you and Jack expand your Autism Talk TV to reach the public - AS needs a PR make-over and you're the one do it.

:thumleft:

P.S. I watched an interview/webinar on Autism Hangout and a Wrong Planet member was featured; she's an author, writer, advocate and artist. Not to be presumptous Alex, but have you considered a feature on Autism Hangout? Craig Evans, the host, has interview many, such as Temple Grandin and Tony Attwood.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 2:38 pm

I really like that video and I'm going to keep my eyes open for that book. :)

PM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 2:53 pm

Mr. Robison, Alex, Jack, you three are an inspiration to aspergians everywhere. Alex, you already have had great success by creating WrongPlanet, you are basically the Mark Zuckerberg of the aspergian community. You should write a book about your life and how WrongPlanet came to be. I think every successful aspie should write a book about their success and struggles. I have heard a lot of flak directed at this site, don't let that "Boulder Symposium" get to you. Thank you to all of the Autism community for what you guys have done.

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2011, 2:59 pm

I just love the term ''free-range aspergian'' :D

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 3:26 pm

Kiran wrote:
I just love the term ''free-range aspergian'' :D

Indeed :) I regard Mr. Robison as 'the Wrong Planet dad.'

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:26 pm

This is pretty interesting, that's actually rather touching... Nice one. :thumright:

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 11:18 pm

Free on the range topic

I can do without Kiss, but I am glad you had a career with them.

I will look for the book in my local library. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 7:22 pm

hey i never knew the guy who owns robisons has apergers.i grew up in western mass although i live in vermont now.actualy robisons is in west springfield mass,but that doesnt matter.i had a friend who got his mercedes 560 sel serviced at robisons.you must be making a lot more money now that lubar imports went out of bussiness.i dont know if your following this thread but im friends with walter chesnut so if you want to chat look me up on this site

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 10:01 pm

I plan to read the book but my mind isn't made for videos, will his new book have pictures from his life in it?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Feb 2011, 2:29 pm

Now I can see why you hang around this guy. Kiss is very cool!
He seems to have delt with his whatever pretty well for being diagnosed so late in life.
Or one of the lucky ones, thats gifted?
But it was a very nice video and I enjoyed watching it.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:13 pm

Rock on, Ampie....the Wrong Planet is proud 8)

:batman: = *KISS*

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNGNLo8K6Fk[/youtube]

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:34 pm

I requested it from the library.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 5:00 pm

Good film, I may well try to get copies of the books to read

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 7:37 pm

I had a miserable time back in school - and back then, no one in the country even knew what Asperger's was!
As for eye contact; my wife has pointed out that plenty of times, I look past the person I'm talking to. Sometimes I'm aware of this; but more often, I'm more aware of how I tend to over compensate for not directly looking at someone, in which I'll stare in a prolonged manner, which people sometimes makes them feel uncomfortable. As for the shifty eye thing - I still do it sometimes.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Arman_Khodaei
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2011, 7:49 pm

I am looking forward to this book.

I have a daily blog that discusses my experiences on the autism spectrum, and a daily YouTube series to compliment it. Please check them out. I also have a podcast that is updated weekly including an Al