Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

axeb
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2011, 11:42 pm

MichaelDWhite wrote:
Started reading this a couple days ago. Some pearls of wisdom I've found so far:

At the end of a chapter about manners he says:
Quote:
And I accomplish it all with a minimum of posturing and false behavior, and just a little compromise of efficiency.

What he's saying is that he's improved his social life by spending a little more time doing "nice" things like holding doors open for people. It takes extra time but doesn't involve doing anything "fake". The fear of having to act fake is one of the things that has kept me form moving forward in my social life. Being inefficient is a lot more appealing than being fake, definitely something to think about.

Quote:
Unfortunately, a logical, morals-based behavioral strategy breaks down in casual interactions, the sort one has at a party.

I've definitely learned this one through experience. People often don't appreciate morals as much as they say they do. Morals and logic are the last things some people want to be confronted with at parties.

Anyone else reading this? What are your thoughts so far?

If feel suddenly to have things in common with someone.

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2011, 9:34 pm

John, thanks for writing this book! Like you I've managed to negotiate life fairly successfully, but it seems like I have to work twice as hard as the average person to constantly deal with thinking about eye contact, and small talk. Throw in a good case of ADD and it's enough to wear a person out. Can't wait to read the book.

technewszone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2011, 4:16 pm

I will plan on reading the book. It sounds interesting. I have 3 autistic kids, and just started non-profit to help give the gift of technology to autistic people and their families as well as any other ways that we can help.

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2011, 8:32 pm

I am a newly diagnosed aspie and saw JER speak in Toronto this past weekend. It was a great way to spend an evening, and it provided my hubby and I with some great stories and inspiration. I greatly appreciated Mr. Robison's encouragement for us aspies to challenge ourselves. Not for the purposes of passing for NT, necessarily, but to become more well-rounded people in general. Looking forward to reading the book!

SPKx
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2011, 10:00 pm

I saw him speak last week at the ROM (in Toronto). Bought the book the next day (I would have bought the book right after the talk, and get it signed, if it wasn't for the fact that they had limited copies for sale)

janinelaurens
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2011, 5:39 pm

Great video!

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 12:22 am

I have his first book, but I lent it to a friend whose son has Asperger's. He lives in Jordan, so he's taking the book with him when he leaves tomorrow. I hope it helps him. I'll probably pick up the new one sometime next month. If it's on iTunes, I may just download it.

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2011, 12:38 am

Can't wait to read the books, thanks for posting the video too. I took special notice of the fact that he could empathize with the high school boy in the film he watched. When are the professionals going to get it that autism is not defined by the "no empathy" thing?

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2011, 12:40 am

technewszone wrote:
I will plan on reading the book. It sounds interesting. I have 3 autistic kids, and just started non-profit to help give the gift of technology to autistic people and their families as well as any other ways that we can help.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2011, 2:02 am

Great video. Clearly shows how creative and talented people can achieve anything if they put their minds to it. despite their limitations.

We are Aspergians living on Wrong Planet part of the Aspergian universe. On this forum website: I am an Aspie, you are an Aspie, we are both Aspies.

As an Aspie you are a unique human being, with your unique interests and living your unique life.

Awkwardphase
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2011, 12:00 pm

I enjoyed it, read it last weekend faster than i expected. Read cover to cover . I found alot of common ground. The "chapter "whats in a name" showed me just how much of my childhood i displayed a need to reason.
I renamed our family cats Blackie and Brownie when i was 4.

( I vacated into great depth of endless edgeless stream of memories writing original post. "Be Different" opened a continuim of passages into my memories. None of which needed to be linked here or outside my head at all ),

I ordered "look me in the eye" thru amazon today .

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2011, 10:20 pm

It's amazing that I remained so oblivious to all this about Be Different. I got it last week and nearly finished it over the weekend. Truly outstanding book. :)

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 9:27 am

I met him twice and he is a very nice guy-I am in electronics as he was and some of the stories he told that people were laughing at I actually didn't because he was describing me and my life to a tee and he signed my copy of Be Different-its a fine book!

XLCR
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2011, 8:39 pm

John, I just read 'Look Me in the Eye' as well as your brother's book and thoroughly enjoyed both. I will be ordering your new one soon. Though your brother's thought processes seem foreign to me, yours are very familiar. In fact, your LIFE seems very familiar. Mine followed many of the same paths. My father was probably an Aspie, he certainly had gifts, he was a card-counter who never lost a game of poker that I saw, and a superb pianist. He could in fact play almost anything. I guess parent wise, I was considerably more fortunate.

But my life was still miserable until I dropped out of school and joined a band. By the age of 20 I was on the road and I stayed out there for the better part of 20 years. The biggest difference is, though I'm also a good sound tech and I'm now doing sound for a concert company started by the local mayor, my real talent is playing lead guitar. I've even built a guitar, but it's a fairly normal Tele, with no lights or bombs. I'm also into working on cars, but right now I'm fixated on Fox Mustangs, I have two and am looking at another one.

I found out the same thing you did, musicians are more tolerant. Many are misfits themselves, and they are a lot less interested in your social skills and more into what you can do. If you can perform, you are in. I've noticed other groups that are more open-minded, like bikers for instance. I used to ride my Harley to Sturgis every year and never had any trouble getting along with people. Bike riders in general tend to be tolerant except for that whole stupid Japs vs Harleys thing.

I am 55 and have just been diagnosed. Until now I thought of myself as a failure, because everyone thought I was so smart and talented when I was young, and some have said I was lazy and failed to live up to my potential. Now I realize that without knowing what my social problems were all about I still managed to avoid getting trapped in the circle jerk of a career where progress is all about networking and social brown-nosing. I'm sure I would have found it as distressing and unsatisfying as you did. I am now working happily at the local library with a batch of other misfits, and I am content that considering everything I have not done so poorly for myself after all.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 10:29 pm

How come I don't remember this thread...

I read the book and I really liked it.

meeemoi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2011, 2:06 pm

this seems very intresting and its nice to know that some one feels like they can be different. Its something i am really looking in to and this book seems like it will be a good read, I still have yet to read some posts form people that have found a way to be socially happy though but ill keep looking