Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2011, 9:17 pm

So there I was sat in Sbarro's eating my lunch today. On the adjacent table there were two guys, and I could hear them talking -- it seemed the older guy was interviewing the younger one for something, maybe a job. As the younger guy was talking I was thinking to myself, wow he talks and sounds just like me, it was a strange feeling. He was even repeating himself quite a bit exactly like I do, and when I looked at him, his facial expressions and body language just made me think we were really alike. The interviewer was asking him questions and I was trying not to eavesdrop, but then he asked "give me an example of a hardship or barrier you've overcome in your life". and the guy replied "well the biggest barrier I've overcome was when I was young, I was diagnosed with autism" and he went on about the help he received and how he's been overcoming it and focusing on his strengths. I couldn't believe it! But at the same time I was so happy and laughing at myself for seeing myself in him somehow just a few minutes earlier. So there you have it, the first time I have ever (knowingly) encountered another person on the autism spectrum in real life! I really wanted to say hi and that I couldn't help overhear him mention he has autism and that I had it too, but I didn't want to mess up his interview or catch him in an overstimulated state.

So yes, this is one of the coolest things that has happened to me in a while, and it feels good knowing I'm not alone with this condition and that I apparently have a working Aspie-dar! Only regret was not saying hi =)

mvaughn32
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2011, 9:27 pm

I hope he got the job!

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 9:40 pm

mvaughn32 wrote:
I hope he got the job!

Same here.

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2011, 1:07 am

That's awesome! That would have made me smile. How cool to recognize someone "like us." I hope he got the job, too!!

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 12:33 pm

I hope he did too! That is so neat...looks like your "aspie-dar" is working well. :)

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Last edited by anneurysm on 06 Oct 2011, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm

Heh, a similar thing has happened to me last year, but in reverse. Me and my aspie friend were sitting and talking about daily life stuff at the university cafeteria. Asperger's was never mentioned once. This friend was really upset about something and I was trying to solve her situation. Next thing we know, this guy came up to us and he told us that he has Asperger's. Out of the blue! We were pretty surprised but at the same time, it was really nice. We had a good chat afterward, and my friend realized that he's actually in one of her classes!

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 6:57 pm

Sounds like a fun encounter.