Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sAMY
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2015, 3:33 am

It seems like the best we can do is collect ssdi off our parents ,which for most of us might be $1100 if were lucky and we only get that if the parent is dead .

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 3:41 am

How?

Earn money. Save & invest vs. spend & consume. Rinse & repeat.

How?

Health is wealth. Get yourself healthy (mentally, physically etc) & you'll have the capacity to earn a lot more money.

A year and a half ago my bankruptcy discharged & I had a few hundred dollars to my name. Today I'm up the better part of $30K and have paid for some other things along the way. I credit getting healthier & healthier via diet and exercise with my ability to work and earn more than I ever have before. I didn't focus on making more money. My focus was on my health first and foremost. Get healthy first and money will come more easily.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 4:11 am

For some, the answer is self-employment.

The other day I hired a man to come and shampoo my carpets professionally. Afterwards I offered him a cup of tea and we got talking. He couldn't find a job because of prejudice here against Indian immigrants, he had little money and no family to help him. So what he did was drop off flyers offering carpet cleaning at very competitive rates. Once he got a booking, he hired a machine on a daily basis that you use to shampoo carpets - the hire was very little compared to the fee for doing a house. He got more clients and then with the profit bought his own machine. He expanded from there - hired other people to work for him, kept working himself and so it snowballed into a viable business. Now he gets bookings through a website.

He used his imagination, skill and determination. It's very hard for non-professional Indian immigrants to get a job here as there is a lot of discrimination against them. So you have to be resourceful to survive and then thrive, That's the moral of the story: you have to be resourceful.

I know another person who couldn't get a job so he bought old furniture very cheaply online, refurbished it and sold it at a profit on the same site as where he bought it. He taught himself from books when necessary, how to do professional restoration on old pieces that were derelict but sought after in properly restored condition.

Another person sells lingerie online from home - he buys it cheaper than he sells it, of course, and has no overheads - the buyers pay the courier fee. All he needed was a credit card to buy his initial stock from a third world company and a website, which a friend helped him create.

These 3 people created viable businesses from almost nothing by using their wits and sticking to the knitting. It is possible to survive and thrive even without a basis of having a lot of money, a job with a company, or higher education. But only if you are resourceful and use your imagination to identify possibilities that are realistic and which there is a demand for.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 5:55 am

I haven't read this book though it may be useful:

Autism All-Stars: How We Use Our Autism and Asperger Traits to Shine in Life
edited by Josie Santomauro, Tony Attwood

It's available to buy and read online too. Given that Attwood in involved, it's likely to be consistent with his usual understanding and accessible approach to people on the ASD spectrum

Has anyone read it? .

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 4:02 pm

Learning a trade of some type would be helpful. There are grants and stuff that can help with the costs of any schooling needed. I don't know what type of help there might be for being an autistic though.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 4:23 pm

RoadRatt wrote:
Learning a trade of some type would be helpful. There are grants and stuff that can help with the costs of any schooling needed. I don't know what type of help there might be for being an autistic though.

Yeah, I did that and was discriminated against and screwed over because of my disability, by the very people who were taking money from an Agency for the Disabled to help get me licensed. When I went to the State Bureaucracies for help, I got four years' worth of runaround and excuses, until I finally gave up. If your disability doesn't involve a wheelchair or crutches, nobody really believes you have one.

All these glib answers about "making money" and "being inventive" aren't necessarily helpful to people with impaired Executive Function. If you can't remain focused and organized because of your brain damage, entrepreneurship may not be a realistic answer.

OTOH, Dan Ackroyd and Daryl Hannah have made very successful careers for themselves in showbiz. James Robison did well in electronics. I had a 30 year career in radio, but that never kept me out of poverty.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 5:57 pm

I got out of poverty by seeking and accepting every form of legal employment available (and few that weren't quite 'ethical'). Dishwasher, line-painter, trash-collector, roofer, telemarketer, septic-tank cleaner, janitor, lawn-mower, storefront 'psychic', snowplow driver, busboy, repo man, toll attendant, ticket-taker, tutor, usher, graffiti remover, ... if it paid, I played.

Sometimes I would show up to a construction site and offer to be a 'gopher' ("go-for this, gofer that, gopher the other thing"), and sometimes loaded and unloaded trucks until my back was screaming agony and my hands bloody and blistered.

The final "up-and-out" for me was military enlistment in my early 30s. After the previous years' worth of abuse and effort, boot camp was easy.

Drill sergeant screaming in my face? No worse that being yelled at by schizos and tweakers!

70 push-ups for sneezing? No worse than lifting and loading 50-pound bags of fertilizer into a semi-truck trailer in July.

Institutional food? Hallelujah! It was FOOD!

One sure cure for poverty is employment. One sure way to stay in poverty is to be picky about where you'll work and what kinds of work you'll do.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 7:58 pm

will@rd wrote:
Yeah, I did that and was discriminated against and screwed over because of my disability, by the very people who were taking money from an Agency for the Disabled to help get me licensed. When I went to the State Bureaucracies for help, I got four years' worth of runaround and excuses, until I finally gave up. If your disability doesn't involve a wheelchair or crutches, nobody really believes you have one.

I hear ya there. Some days I wish I could grow a 3rd eye, at least then I could get a job in a circus sideshow. Actually I feel like I'd qualify for the sideshow job as it is now. :cyclops:

will@rd wrote:
All these glib answers about "making money" and "being inventive" aren't necessarily helpful to people with impaired Executive Function. If you can't remain focused and organized because of your brain damage, entrepreneurship may not be a realistic answer.

So true. My executive function is about as useful as my appendix was, at least they could remove my appendix. :lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 9:42 pm

will@rd wrote:
RoadRatt wrote:

OTOH, Dan Ackroyd and Daryl Hannah have made very successful careers for themselves in showbiz. James Robison did well in electronics. I had a 30 year career in radio, but that never kept me out of poverty.

My executive functions were terrible 2-3 years ago. They're really pretty good now - perhaps better than any other time in my life. I figured out how to successfully treat my symptoms and one of the first things that improved significantly were my executive brain functions. They've continued to improve since.

Like I said in my previous post in this thread: Health is wealth. Focus on your health primarily & then everything else starts to fall into place and money will come.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 9:47 pm

I don't see how I'd collect SSDI off my parents...I do however get SSI, but that isn't really 'escaping poverty' beings the income it provides still keeps you in poverty. Aside from that I imagine getting a job and working, or figuring out some form of self employment....of course that can be problematic for some of us.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 9:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
I got out of poverty by seeking and accepting every form of legal employment available (and few that weren't quite 'ethical'). Dishwasher, line-painter, trash-collector, roofer, telemarketer, septic-tank cleaner, janitor, lawn-mower, storefront 'psychic', snowplow driver, busboy, repo man, toll attendant, ticket-taker, tutor, usher, graffiti remover, ... if it paid, I played.

Sometimes I would show up to a construction site and offer to be a 'gopher' ("go-for this, gofer that, gopher the other thing"), and sometimes loaded and unloaded trucks until my back was screaming agony and my hands bloody and blistered.

The final "up-and-out" for me was military enlistment in my early 30s. After the previous years' worth of abuse and effort, boot camp was easy.

Drill sergeant screaming in my face? No worse that being yelled at by schizos and tweakers!

70 push-ups for sneezing? No worse than lifting and loading 50-pound bags of fertilizer into a semi-truck trailer in July.

Institutional food? Hallelujah! It was FOOD!

One sure cure for poverty is employment. One sure way to stay in poverty is to be picky about where you'll work and what kinds of work you'll do.

Excellent post. I've done a ridiculous number of different jobs over the years. Sometimes because I wanted to, wanted change, wanted to learn something new or work with different people etc, sometimes because I wasn't in any sort of financial position to be picky in the least bit.. definitely the classic "beggars can't be choosers" sort of mode for sure.

I'm pretty sure I've done more different types of jobs than you've listed here.. heck, currently my sign in at work has 5 or 6 different roles I can login as - more than any other employee. I also have other side jobs and things going on in entirely different industries. I've become fairly good at wearing different hats depending on whatever the present moment requires of me & I really like that about myself as my future career plans depend on my ability to seamlessly transition from one role to the next.

I've just never done the military thing & don't foresee ever doing it. Not my thing. I am fairly disciplined with my life these days w/ diet, exercise, finances etc even w/o a drill sergeant giving me orders.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 11:20 pm

It's not true that anyone with any degree of executive dysfunction automatically can't succeed in any kind or job nor enterprise or life.

If it was, almost none of us would have had jobs, careers, businesses or other forms of self-generated income. Most of us do have some degree of executive dysfunction - I did too (though not severe, my toughest barriers are the hypersensory stuff), and I had to learn by trial and error what made things more workable for me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 11:41 pm

Right, B19 and Goldfish21; although there are many of us who really are unable to obtain or maintain employment, and it is NOT their fault!

Lest we give the impression that we're ablists, let's remind ourselves that not everyone is employable, and that "but for the grace of God" (or "but for a favorable sequence of random events", if you prefer) we would be in the same situation.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2015, 11:45 pm

I'm on ODSP it;s the disability in ontario, about the same amount. I'm gonna get a job soon, slowly work towards being self-sufficient.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 11:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
Right, B19 and Goldfish21; although there are many of us who really are unable to obtain or maintain employment, and it is NOT their fault!

Lest we give the impression that we're ablists, let's remind ourselves that not everyone is employable, and that "but for the grace of God" (or "but for a favorable sequence of random events", if you prefer) we would be in the same situation.

I was once one of them, so I understand.

I worked sporadically for a few years when my health was poor and symptoms were strong. There were also several month stretches where I didn't work at all, and certainly not because I didn't want to, but because I couldn't.

I could not accept that as my permanent reality & instead got myself healthy enough to do damned near anything now.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 11:57 pm

Yes, I understand too - there was no way I could work a few years ago because of cancer treatment and crippled hips; however there is a huge middle ground between being an ableist and disableist. Maybe the Bell curve again - you have those extreme positions at the tails, but almost everyone is distributed between the two tails, with most in the middle at the peak of the curve.