My near meltdown due to my family's Super Bowl party........

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

chelischili7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2011, 12:33 am

I am thankful the Super Bowl is over because life will return to normal where I live. Almost everyone in my family are Green Bay Packers fans, and I live in the heart of Packers country. Every minute of the local news broadcasts here have been dedicated to Packers football or the weather - that's it. Egypt? Nope. Syria? Sorry. Governor Walker's State of the State address? Not a chance. All football or weather all the time. WTMJ 4 set up a timer at the bottom of the screen specifying the amount of days, hours, minutes & seconds until the Super Bowl started two weeks before the game itself! People chanted "Go Pack Go!" at our house yesterday, and all I wanted to tell them is to go pack and go (nicely) so I could chill out in quiet peace. That didn't happen and I just dealt with it. I was asked to join in the festivities but I chose to continue working on my rocks for my future chess set.

The noises of the Super Bowl party held at my house was really getting to me. People were yelling & screaming at the Packers & the Steelers. They weren't drunk and they were all family members or friends of the family so I know them well. It's just.......it's just a football game. The world isn't going to end tomorrow if the Packers win or lose. I was already overloaded with nonsense regarding this game from the news anyway. I began to get upset & isolated myself in my room because I couldn't take the noise from the party. Everyone was happy but I was not. I didn't but I felt like I had to be there so I didn't go out or anything. Can an Aspie feign signs of a meltdown when they can't leave? I think I did well but I know Aspies have difficulties appearing happy when they are not.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 1:44 am

That would drive me into a meltdown, too. I hate football and the loudmouthed fans that come with it.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 3:30 am

I know how you feel. I used to really like watching Rugby, then I stopped watching TV and kind of lost interest and then found I couldn't get away from it and it really started to bug me. On the day of the WC final I took my daughter to the swimming pool to get away and they had a giant screen showing it!! !

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 11:37 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That would drive me into a meltdown, too.

same here, foot ball :wall:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Feb 2011, 11:42 pm

Just reading about it makes me feel frustrated. Definite meltdown or shutdown material for me.

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2011, 2:47 am

That reminds me of when I still lived at home. Every time my parents threw a party or had friends over, I would go to the bathroom and prepare food and beverages immediately before the guests were expected to arrive. Sometimes, when their stay was excessive, I would suffer in a brutal waiting game, waiting for them to leave so I could use the bathroom. I do not know how I managed to cope with all of that anxiety. Reading your story brought back those memories!