Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2011, 12:40 am

I'm really depressed, I think it's because my husband wants his family to stay and they don't want to because they don't like me, and he realises by now that I'm unlikely to become more likeable to his NT family because of the AS. To say he's been giving me the stink eye would be an understatement.

Another reason could be that I've kind of dismissed my counsellor because he just doesn't understand AS. He got indignant
when I told him I'd decided not to pursue an interest that requires the permission of strangers, due to not being able to
"carry it off" the way an NT would. I imagine it could be like being part of an underclass and being told to get over it. (What do I mean, like?? ) But I'm sick of being looked at as if I have two heads, why voluntarily put myself through that?

Just at the moment, I know it's not nice, but I hate the "normocracy" :(

I no longer have this idea that the mental health profession is waiting in the background to help me with depression. I don't think they have a clue. I'd rather talk to you.

Also, I kind of ran out of "special interest". Everything I used to do seems pointless and attention-seeking now I have a better idea of who I am.

I am walking 35 minutes a day, taking four fish oil pills each day and have been meditating. My diet is fantastically healthy, not that I enjoy it. No coffee sugar wheat dairy or alcohol.

Am trying to adopt a dog but it's proving difficult in this location, and I don't know much about dogs yet.

I just don't want to live anymore, life seems so hopeless in every area. Is there anything else I can do to care for myself?

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 2:57 am

I don't understand what interest requires the permission of strangers. can you explain?

I get what you mean by the "normocracy".They never say what they mean, have their unwritten rules of how we should behave, and heaven help us if we demand a level playing field. I've also got the "get over it attitude" more times than I care to remember

I'm not sure if my advice would be any more than the blind leading the blind, but here goes. Do what works for you. ( I don't know what that is by the way.) But pleasing everyone else while denying yourself is destined to end in tears. Personally, I've wasted a lot of time and energy trying to be nice to horrible people, and attempting to be the person everyone thought I should be. (The pendulum's probably swung too far the other way, which isn't good, but at least I'm my own b***h and no-one elses)

Best wishes.

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 3:08 am

Currently in one myself. I will let you know how it turns out. I understand your pain completely. If only I had the words.

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2011, 4:16 am

(Opal, I wanted to take photos of house frontages, but realise now it would be creepy whether or not I asked permission, just because of
how I come across. "You don't spit into the wind".)

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 4:57 am

Chickenbird wrote:
(Opal, I wanted to take photos of house frontages, but realise now it would be creepy whether or not I asked permission, just because of
how I come across. "You don't spit into the wind".)

I don' t understand.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 4:59 am

Is your interest architectural photography? Who is "spitting into the wind"? How?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:01 am

Don't waste your life worrying about what NTs think of you and let yourself be free. :)

opal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:26 am

opal wrote:
Is your interest architectural photography? Who is "spitting into the wind"? How?

If so , and you have a digital camera, also take pictures of public/historic buildings, fountains, statues, etc. If anyone questions you simply say you are an amateur photographer and show them your pics. They'll either be reassured or so bored with your monologue they leave you alone. :D :wink: