Should persons with Asperger's consume Cannabis?

Page 1 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Should persons with Asperger's consume Cannabis?
Yes. Make is legal for everyone. 66%  66%  [ 104 ]
Yes. If you obtain a prescription from a doctor. 13%  13%  [ 20 ]
No. It should be illegal for everyone. 8%  8%  [ 12 ]
No. But make it legal for people with terminal cancer and similar conditions. 13%  13%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 157

Puppygnu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2011, 2:48 pm

This poll is a tribute to the great thread, "Cannabis as medication for Asperger?"

I personally feel that smoking pot is not a healthy choice for most people. I would prefer that people see a psychiatrist for legal medications. However, for some chronic conditions, pot seems to help. I voted against the legalization of medical marijuana in the state of Arizona because I believe that the state legislature should make this type of decision.

JSMC
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2011, 3:02 pm

I'm of course in favor of medical usage for cannabis. I think that it's a drug that should be restrained to people who could benefits in any way from it. Not just terminal state conditions, since cannabis has a more to help than just physical pain. Also, keeping a certain discrimination in whom can smoke cannabis is something I believe is important. Not everyone react the same way to cannabis, so I believe a certain control is still needed.

BUT, I don't believe that you should get a criminal record for cannabis possession. Cannabis traffic is a problem since the quality of the produced herb is a lot degraded. So I voted for the second choice, but I'm in favor of personnal usage if their's a control of quality.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:11 pm

I think it should be completely legal. Organized crime would lose billions of dollars of revenue. It should be held to the same standards as alcohol when it comes to public intoxication, DUI and operating machinery. It would also separate cannabis users from hard drug users as they wouldn't need to be exposed to the 'under world'.

Cannabis isn't a gateway drug as often incorrectly attributed, but the organized crime is a gateway to other things. Take the crooks out of the equation, people will just grow it for themselves if they really want it.

The end result is it is no longer the field of petty criminals and the amount of recreational users probably will go down or stabilize, and hundreds of thousands of young people will avoid unnecessary incarceration that has a negative effect on long-term quality of life

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:12 pm

when i was younger i had some scary experiences with high quality pot.hallucinagenic and quite scary.the lower grade stuff relaxed me but i would never use any pot again.people think pot is a deppessiant,its actualy a mild halucinagin and for people with strong sensory perception it can lead to a scary bad trip experience

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:20 pm

I'm against total legalisation, as I believe the quality of weed would significantly diminish if it was mass produced by big companies, and it undoubtedly would fall into the hands of the pharmaceutical industry.

I strongly support legalisation of home growing though. And yes, it helps. I used to never show up to social events - my anxiety would almost physically keep me confined, paralysed even. taking a few puffs is a godsend on such occasions. it helps with my insomnia and work-related stress too. also with pain of any kind. it really is a wonderful natural drug.

if you're worried about the health risk, try buying a vaporiser (Volcano seems like the best choice).

JSMC
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2011, 3:22 pm

Vermontsavant, cannabis have a lot of different type of effect, from pretty light to heavy effect. Just like alcool you can have a light beer at 0.5% or 10% beer.

Vigilans, I also think that Organized Crime is a problem, this I why I think their should be somekind of control. I don't think anyone who use cannabis as personnal usage should get problem with the justice. But I think that organized crime should have limits, since they diminishes the quality by introducing different types of bad nutrients or a more "industrial production" where quantity is more important than quality. That's why I believe quality should be organized by a series of laws for the distribution.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:24 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Why have you lumped in whether it should be legal with whether specific groups should consume it? Maybe I should answer the first option because I think it should be legal for everyone... but maybe I should answer one of the latter two, because I think people with autism shouldn't use it.

There's a difference between thinking something should be legal and thinking a certain subset of people should do something.

So, if I don't really think anyone should use it, why do I think it should be legal? Because it's addictive. Addicts, by definition, don't have the ability to not buy a product. So in that case, anything can be done to it so long as it satisfies their fix. Now THAT is a nice issue for the government to regulate. Also, for addicts who want to get clean, it's important to be able to admit they have a problem. If they can land in jail for that, they can't complete the twelve steps. And I wouldn't know, but it stands to reason that there's surely price gouging-- or even just this stuff becoming more expensive because of hardships in transporting it. Probably both. And the costs being passed on to people who by definition are stuck and have little or no recourse. And if it's illegal, by definition the only people who can sell it are criminals. ONLY criminals allowed to sell to people who can't refuse the sale? Seriously, does that make sense to you?

So. Government regulation of quality and price (inasmuch as such a product can be said to have quality, but if it only poisons you with what you were buying rather than anything else...), but legalize it.

But as to any individual deciding whether or not to smoke it, the answer is probably that they shouldn't. But then, they shouldn't drink, either, but we don't make that illegal.

NOT A DOCTOR

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:26 pm

This person with AS has already consumed it and hates it. It's yucky stuff.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:28 pm

I don't think it should be used as medication for Aspies, but seeing as it's not as harmful as perfectly legal cigarettes, I'm in favour of legalising it.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:29 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I don't think it should be used as medication for Aspies, but seeing as it's not as harmful as perfectly legal cigarettes, I'm in favour of legalising it.

i read somewhere it can be as damaging as 20 ciggerettes. :shrug:
scaremongering?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:33 pm

emlion wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

scaremongering?

Hmm, I was chatting to my friend, who's doing courses for all the sciences, and he said he was learning about the affects of cigarettes. I asked him if weed had the chemicals that caused cancer and addiction which cigarettes have, and he said no.

I've also looked up some stats, and while 100,000 deaths were put down to cigarettes in the UK a few years ago, only 1 was put down to weed.

Of course, there are studies saying it could cause schizophrenia, but they aren't conclusive yet.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:38 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
emlion wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

scaremongering?

Hmm, I was chatting to my friend, who's doing courses for all the sciences, and he said he was learning about the affects of cigarettes. I asked him if weed had the chemicals that caused cancer and addiction which cigarettes have, and he said no.

I've also looked up some stats, and while 100,000 deaths were put down to cigarettes in the UK a few years ago, only 1 was put down to weed.

Of course, there are studies saying it could cause schizophrenia, but they aren't conclusive yet.

The question is, do we really need an excuse for more smoke in the air? I get a terrible headache whenever I am around the stuff. It is so innocuous, how come I get that horrible headache whenever I smell the stuff?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:39 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Why have you lumped in whether it should be legal with whether specific groups should consume it? Maybe I should answer the first option because I think it should be legal for everyone... but maybe I should answer one of the latter two, because I think people with autism shouldn't use it.

There's a difference between thinking something should be legal and thinking a certain subset of people should do something.

So, if I don't really think anyone should use it, why do I think it should be legal? Because it's addictive. Addicts, by definition, don't have the ability to not buy a product. So in that case, anything can be done to it so long as it satisfies their fix. Now THAT is a nice issue for the government to regulate. Also, for addicts who want to get clean, it's important to be able to admit they have a problem. If they can land in jail for that, they can't complete the twelve steps. And I wouldn't know, but it stands to reason that there's surely price gouging-- or even just this stuff becoming more expensive because of hardships in transporting it. Probably both. And the costs being passed on to people who by definition are stuck and have little or no recourse. And if it's illegal, by definition the only people who can sell it are criminals. ONLY criminals allowed to sell to people who can't refuse the sale? Seriously, does that make sense to you?

So. Government regulation of quality and price (inasmuch as such a product can be said to have quality, but if it only poisons you with what you were buying rather than anything else...), but legalize it.

But as to any individual deciding whether or not to smoke it, the answer is probably that they shouldn't. But then, they shouldn't drink, either, but we don't make that illegal.

Cannabis is actually one of the least addictive drugs out there...

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2011, 3:43 pm

emlion wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

scaremongering?

When I smoke pot, it seems to be smooth and non-irritating to my lungs. In contrast, I tried to smoke a cigarette in the same fashion I would smoke a joint and coughed my lungs up. Cigarette smoke just tastes dirty.

However, when it comes to any subject of debate, I like to say that opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one. It just so happens that the people that run our country have the opinion that they won't make very much money from legalizing cannabis. It is my opinion that Marijuana is not a schedule 1 narcotic, and has no place being lumped into a category that includes cocaine, heroin, and meth. Alcohol has a much more profound effect on me as far as "impairment" goes personally.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:43 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The question is, do we really need an excuse for more smoke in the air?

The economy will benefit from their legalistion, so that's something. Plus people who want this stuff will get it from legit, regulated sources.

Quote:
I get a terrible headache whenever I am around the stuff. It is so innocuous, how come I get that horrible headache whenever I smell the stuff?

No idea, in all honesty. I'm no expert - in fact I never plan to go anywhere near drugs myself. But if the illegal stuff isn't as bad as the legal stuff, there's obvious unfairness going on.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:47 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The question is, do we really need an excuse for more smoke in the air?

The economy will benefit from their legalistion, so that's something. Plus people who want this stuff will get it from legit, regulated sources.

I understand you probably don't mind the smoke, but what about those of us who have bad reactions to it? If that stuff gets legalized, the smell of the smoke will be everywhere and it really stinks. It makes me ill smelling it, so why should I have to be exposed to it all the time. I hardly ever smell it now because it's illegal and my state is really strict. I hope it stays that way.
Those of us who hate the smell of the smoke should have a say in this, not just the potheads.