Should persons with Asperger's consume Cannabis?

Page 10 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Should persons with Asperger's consume Cannabis?
Yes. Make is legal for everyone. 66%  66%  [ 104 ]
Yes. If you obtain a prescription from a doctor. 13%  13%  [ 20 ]
No. It should be illegal for everyone. 8%  8%  [ 12 ]
No. But make it legal for people with terminal cancer and similar conditions. 13%  13%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 157

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 7:21 pm

If I can throw my hat into the ring, I have no problem with Marijuana. It's no more harmful than any other mind altering substance out there, such as alcohol or nicotine. In fact, it is much less harmful than any of these things, THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) does not cause a high like other drugs in which it alters brain chemistry, it is a neurotransmitter that provokes a relaxed sensation (hence why aspies absolutely should be permitted it for its anxiety countering properties).

But right now you're asking yourself "if it's so harmless why does the government not permit it, surely it has some negative aspects" if so, you are absolutely right, marijuana can cause paranoia, schizophrenia and, famously, the munchies. In excessive doses. I said earlier that it's a neurotransmitter, lets elaborate on that, THC is a chemical that binds with a receptor in your brain and causes the release of endorphins that give it its euphoric effect, if the glands that produce these endorphins are stimulated too much, they become "tired" and can no longer function as well (and if you can't be calm, you're anxious" but this is only if excessive amounts are consumed (along the same quantities as an alcoholic takes in alcohol actually) So, all marijuana requires is moderation to be safe? No.

Another reason the government does not permit marijuana is because it can be a "gateway drug" that leads those who use it to become introduced to more powerful and legitimately dangerous narcotics(heroin, cocaine etc.). Now, I'm not a politician, and I'm certainly not an anthropologist but, surely the best way to stop people from being led into dangerous drugs by drug dealers is to...stop people from getting drugs from drug dealers, how do we do that? Sell it in actual stores! Correct me if I'm wrong here but I see no problem in this system.

And, just as an added side note, marijuana is not only useful as a relaxant. I have a set of hemp clothing that is of brilliant quality, texture and durability.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm

I believe marijuana should be legal, but I recommend no one actually consume it. I've found that the positive effects (heightened senses) outweigh the negative (paranoia, lethargy, hours of time passing with no distinct memory of what I just did).

I used to think marijuana would be a good 'introductory psychedelic' but I now realize its psychedelic effects are relatively weak and that they are easily overshadowed by marijuana's other primary effects.

I also know that if marijuana were as legal as alcohol, it would be far less popular, because ultimately, it's just not much fun.

starenczak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2013, 5:19 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
In my opinion, the only reason people have for smoking this crap is that it's a social counter-culture thing. They do it because it's illegal and because the people they percive as "cool" are doing it.

LOL! Listen to this guy, I thought his kind died out in the 40's.

I was told by my psychiatrist when I got my ASD assessment that if I keep on smoking cannabis, I will eventually throw myself off of a roof or something similar.

I have terribly divided views after smoking cannabis for 14 years but my issue I think is around control, I can't smoke it once and put it away - I have to continue using it until it is all gone.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 5:27 pm

I used to, quite a lot, and it did me a lot of good, but then I started having bad reactions to it (paranoia, anxiety, panic attacks) so I stopped. No idea what caused this, although it did coincide with the British press scare stories about 'super skunk.'. Haven't tried it since.