Anyone else unorganized/un-neat handwriting?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jaideybug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2011, 7:22 pm

I know I am... :?

against_the_clock
Raven
Raven

Location: Louisville Kentucky (if you think I don't wear shoes I'll throw them at you)

28 Feb 2011, 7:25 pm

me too

mikeseagle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 7:25 pm

jaideybug wrote:
I know I am... :?

Depends on who you ask. I think my handwriting is neat and organized. Other people who look at my handwriting would disagree

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2011, 7:27 pm

I think my handwriting is very neat and organized, especially if I am making a list for some reason. I also never use cursive.

jaideybug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2011, 7:27 pm

Agreed.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Feb 2011, 7:30 pm

I would be surprised if I didn't fit the criteria for a "disorder of written expression" or whatever it's called in the DSM-IV. The wikipedia description of dysgraphia fits me pretty closely.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 7:53 pm

Most people consider my script to be illegible. My printing is barely readable.

I used to be able to read my handwriting pretty well, but now I use a computer printer for everything, so it has gotten worse.

Daina
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2011, 8:25 pm

The letters are kind of legible most of the time. But there is no telling if they will be in the right case, or ordered to form actual words and sentences. If I am concentrating I can write ok, but writing with anything less than my full attention is a disaster. Which is funny since I draw a lot.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 8:40 pm

I have the worst handwriting. The worst.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 8:48 pm

My handwriting sucks. It's messy, I invert letters and words. I mix case. I mix cursive and printing.

Yup. It's bad.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 9:30 pm

My handwriting is, and pretty much always has been, small and neat. Looking at it from a distance, some people have even mistaken it for type on occasion.

MarsCoban
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2011, 10:22 pm

Hmm, odd thing, my handwriting.

Up until the seventh grade it was perfect - girls would tell me, "oh my god, your handwriting is better than mine, and you're a guy!"
And then, something - I don't know what - happened. It went to s**t - and not because I stopped caring. The style of it just completely changed. People started telling me it looked like hieroglyphics...and that is the way it looks still. Now, one reason for this may be due to the fact that my hands shake all the time. Because they shake so much I am forced to press the side of my hand hard onto the desk I'm writing on in order to write at all legibly - but as far as I can remember, my hands have always shaken that way...I think it started long before seventh grade...so, I don't know what happened. Perhaps I should have my hand-writing analyzed?

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2011, 10:32 pm

My handwriting is sloppy, childlike and only semi-legible. I pretty much write everything in print, only using cursive when I sign my name, or if I'm filling something out which specifies that I should "write, not print."

Starting at some point during third grade, they started requiring that everyone write in cursive, but my teachers each year made an exception for me. My printing was horribly sloppy, and my cursive was ten times worse.

I recall this one time when I was in Junior High, they allowed us to do free play in gym class for some reason (I can't remember why). The special education students were integrated into that gym class with us. In spite of the fact that I was in general education (honors, actually. Don't ask me to explain how I ended up on that track, as I don't understand it myself) the special education girls were the only ones who seemed genuinely interested in talking to me.

At one point, one of the special education girls started flipping through my notebook and looking through the pages of notes I had written for my classes. Seeming honestly curious, she asked me, "You ret*d?"

"No," I replied.

"Handicapped?" she asked.

"No," I repeated.

The girl appeared to be puzzled by this. "Then why do you write like that?" She pointed at a page of my illegible handwriting.

"I just have bad handwriting," I told her, not knowing what else to say. Thankfully, she accepted this response.

Growing up, I had plenty of similar experiences, with people exclaiming over just how bad my handwriting is. My teachers used to refer to figuring out how to read my handwriting as "cracking the code."

When I was fourteen, I finally hit puberty, and there was a significant improvement in my handwriting. Even so, my handwriting is still very poor. It's more legible than it was, but the formation of my letters still tends to be sloppy. If someone is reading something I've written, I still occasionally get asked about one word or another that he/ she can;t quite decode.

So, yes, I can very much relate to having messy handwriting.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 10:48 pm

OuterBoroughGirl wrote:
Starting at some point during third grade, they started requiring that everyone write in cursive, but my teachers each year made an exception for me. My printing was horribly sloppy, and my cursive was ten times worse.

Somewhere around second grade, they started allowing us to use cursive. Except for me. I was forbidden to use cursive. I'm still a bit annoyed by that.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2011, 12:49 am

My handwriting hasn't changed much from when I was in 6th grade. Which is to say that it looks terrible, especially in comparison to the handwriting of other women or girls.

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2011, 1:40 am

when i was younger, I was told that my hand writing looked like that of a serial killer.

it was kind of jagged and I would tend not draw a letter the same way twice, or write in straight lines. It ends up kind of looking like the ransom notes that people make out of cut up magazines

it is somewhat better now a days but by no means good.