Sensory things that drive you nuts that no one else gets...

Page 1 of 11 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 1:40 pm

And you get told to stop being a baby/that you're overreacting.

My biggest ones are "overreactions" to smells (I have an extremely overwhelming sense of smell). I can't be in the same room as coffee because I feel like I'm going to throw up. I've had to leave restaurants before and the people I'm with always pull a "Here we go again." attitude.

Another one is people who don't f*****g use toothpicks and instead sit there and try to suck the food out of their teeth (my dad is horrible for this)/loud eaters in general. Smack when you eat and I may end up smacking you. I don't know what it is, but the headache it gives me isn't even like a traditional headache. It's more of a sick feeling/confused/like I'm being pushed into a wall.

EDIT: Oh. By the word "gets" in the topic title, let me clarify. I mean "understand", not "has", although if you thought I meant "has" you can put down ones you have that you don't think anyone else has, like really weird ones. Do blue things upset you? I know some people with synesthesia don't like it when they see signs that are printed in the wrong colors.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 1:57 pm

The worst reactions I get from others are when I tell them there is too much noise.

I sometimes clamp my hands over my ears and cringe in pain, then get told off for not being able to tolerate it. They also tell me that I just need more exposure to it, even if they've seen me react this way for many years.

If the noise they are generating is really enjoyable to them and I cannot sleep, they can become very abusive if I complain (even nicely). I "overreact" to many other things others can tolerate well or enjoy.

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2009, 2:10 pm

The 14.7KHz from the flyback transformer on crappy/defective CRT monitors. Most people don't even hear it. If a particular monitor is bad I can sense it from multiple cubicles away and it irritates me. Fortunately it doesn't affect me to the extent that most people here seem to be affected by bad sensory but it's still very, very annoying and extremely difficult to concentrate when the noise is there. I get quite irritable.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 2:30 pm

Flourescent lights really bother me. The lower a ceiling is in a room the more they bother me.
I bet this is a common thing. Combine the flicker of flourescent lights with a really busy carpet pattern under a low ceiling in a small room and it is like being in a torture box and I feel like my mind is scrambled so I can't think.

Banks and City office buildings drive me mad. I am used to hearing lots of different noises, but for some reason when I am at the bank and I am aware of all these different electrical sounds, the irritation is amplified..My tension level is high at the bank..they have a habit of yelling HI WELCOME TO WACHOVIA in unison the minute anyone enters the door, and even though I try to be on my guard, I always manage to flinch...and then my thinking is drowned out by all the crackling and beeping of the noises everywhere. I have to get out as quickly as possible.

At city office buildings, it is the flourescent lights and the automated voice every few moments at uneven intervals calling tag numbers. I get really squirmy and uncomfortable and have to leave after a while. If I can't leave, then I start acting like a nut in order to drown it out. The last time I was there and couldn't leave because I had to sign something, I read to Flakey out loud from a Joke book to pass the time. This was insensitive of me because another thing that sometimes bothers me is other people's conversations. There were two women in the waiting room and the younger one was telling the older one about her son's strange behavior and the way they were talking was making me cringe.

I was at a cell phone store with Flakey last week for his broken cell phone...and I swear they make those places as unpleasant to be in as possible, but I am not sure why. It was a Verizon store. Near the information desk, as if to ward people off, a high pitched BEEEP emits every few moments from some mysterious place in the wall...and then the employees seem completly oblivious and unapproachable and rude...Maybe because they have to be around it all day...But it seemed to serve no purpose except to um...make it hard to think and make people want to leave.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 2:45 pm

I hate loud eating and all sorts of mouth sounds, like my dog licking his private parts or people tongue kissing, etc it just makes me shudder. a few days ago I was sitting on a bus next to an old man who kept re-adjusting his fake teeth with his tongue and I had to move to the opposite end of the bus, it was just so irritating (and I did have headphones on...).

apart from that no one seems to understand my strong dislike of sunlight and heat. also, most people take offence when I move away from them (if they stand too close) or shake off their patting on my back or handshakes.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 2:57 pm

Most noises don't bother me, and neither do lights. For me, the things that drive me "up the wall" the most are certain feeling things--- like, I work in healthcare. I HATE the feel of the powder inside the gloves. I can't stand the way the powder feels on my hands/fingers. If I have to wear powdered gloves, I will NOT remove them until I am right next to a sink so I can immediately wash it off. And then, when I do take them off, I will not allow my fingers to touch each other, because then I can feel it even worse. I've gotten so that I now carry my own non-powdered gloves where I go so that I won't have to use the powdered ones. There are other things that I can't deal with ( again, mostly the way certain things feel), but the gloves one is the worst because I have to deal with it almost daily.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2009, 3:07 pm

I get anxiety attacks when I have sticky or greesy things on my hands. this is a problem with you are in a cooking group, and are makeing popcorn balls. I freaked out and no one understood me.

Then there is rough paper like the kind in the novels that you have to read i highschool. Those drove me nuts.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 3:24 pm

When people barge into my room without knocking, the sound of the door opening suddenly drives me insane. It feels like the sound is driving through my brain with an electric drill. But if people would just knock and wait, that'd be fine!

y es como un semestre"

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 3:31 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Flourescent lights really bother me. The lower a ceiling is in a room the more they bother me.
I bet this is a common thing. Combine the flicker of flourescent lights with a really busy carpet pattern under a low ceiling in a small room and it is like being in a torture box and I feel like my mind is scrambled so I can't think.

I had a music professor once who actually told our clas what the note was the fluorescent lights gave off (so that we could use it as a reference point to find middle C. The note is the b flat below, if I remember correctly) but people still think I'm making it up when I tell them I can "hear" the sound of fluorescent lights. In college, I couldn't take tests in really small rooms with low slung lights that were loud like that.

Me *to procter*: This room is too loud. My disability paperwork says I need a quiet room. I don't want to be a pain but...
Procter: I don't hear anything.
Me: YOU don't, but I do. *tries to explain B flat, hyperacusis, etc*
Procter: *rolls eyes* Take these earplugs...
Me: They don't work and give me a headache. I already have earplugs from my audiologist. They don't work. Is there a different...
Procter: You're just making this up to get out of the test!
Me: :evil:

I try to explain in advance to them what hyperacusis is and they think I'm making it up to get attention. I tell them to look it up on wikipedia. You'd think a disabilities office would already have this information.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 3:32 pm

Certain sounds get me. Florescent tubes as already mentioned - the high pitch hum of them and the hum of TV's.
People singing can also be painful - especially if they sing out of tune.

Vacuum cleaners are horrible, certain ones anyway, particularly Dyson ones.

I hate clashing sounds too. At a fare I went to a while ago some idiot had decided to group the stalls by type. This unfortunately meant they had put the "sound related" stalls together with a loud ancient steam organ next to a small stage of singers. The mixture of the two sounds was unbelievable, awful and painful.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 3:39 pm

DwightF wrote:
The 14.7KHz from the flyback transformer on crappy/defective CRT monitors. Most people don't even hear it. If a particular monitor is bad I can sense it from multiple cubicles away and it irritates me. Fortunately it doesn't affect me to the extent that most people here seem to be affected by bad sensory but it's still very, very annoying and extremely difficult to concentrate when the noise is there. I get quite irritable.

When I go home on the weekends, I can actually tell exactly which tvs are on in the house. They are all CRTs, so it isn't hard. I didn't realize there was an actual reason for the electronic hum, apart from it being an electronic device. The sattalite recievers also have a distinct hum, but it is silent unless I am right behind it. My family is unable to hear the hum of the tv. My laptop also has a distinct, very high pitched hum.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 3:43 pm

Loud notices, especially high pitched ones. When I hear children scream, it hurts my ears.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 3:45 pm

For some reasone noise seems to bother me more as I have gott older. 2 years ago the amount of noise in my house on a regular day didn't bother me nearly as much as it does now.

oli234
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2009, 3:57 pm

I have a horrible thing where if someone kisses me or generally touches me in certain places like my lower back I start shaking really violently..................some of the girls I've kissed thought I was having a seizure.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 4:00 pm

I can't eat raw carrots, there is something about them that prevents me from being able to swallow them.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 4:04 pm

This mostly when Im trying to go to sleep. I cant stand clocks ticking and someone else snoring. Whenever I sleep in the same room and someone else, I always ask if they snore because i will not fall asleep if someone else is snoring.