Things Aspies do that irritate other people

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2011, 7:28 am

I tend to be irritating sometimes. Here is the list of things I do that seem to irritate others:

(1) Taking a long time to shower
(2) Problems finding things. My mother gave up. She no longer asks me to find anything.
(3) Talking too loud
(4) Talking too much about myself
(5) Arguing too much, because I know I am right. A fine example is this guy, he tells me that when an aircraft's engine shuts down, the aircraft plunges to the ground, and he compares this to a car because a car without two tires would not be able to move. Thing is, a car relies on friction, and the airplane relies on aerodynamics. One engine is enough for the aircraft to execute an emergency landing. I realized I might be irritating the guy, so I stopped arguing.
(6) Being too quiet. People around me are talking, and I am just listening, saying nothing.

Orcist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2011, 7:49 am

All of those except #3 apply to me ^^

1). I keep forgetting promises that I make, especially when I'm busy with something else when I'm asked.

2). I don't listen to what anyone is saying when I'm preoccupied.

3). I immediately become hostile when someone touches my computer.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

14 Mar 2011, 8:51 am

I keep to myself when I'm with my family. It must drive them nuts.

Kanye West 2020

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:14 am

Being too quiet.

Not smiling (yet there is no necessary reason to smile.)

Stuttering (both my Mum and some teachers have shouted at me in the past for it. That's about as unfair as you can get!)

Drawing, my special interest (doing it in class. Some people love seeing what I draw, but I've been nagged by the teachers not to do it, my entire school and college life.)

mikeseagle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:19 am

Too much listening, not enough talking

Spending too much time on the computer instead of socializing

Becoming obsessed over things that other people do not find important

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:22 am

One thing I noticed on a recent outing with other aspies and auties recently is the lack of reciprocity... no feedback. We were playing snooker and I was the only one cheering the others or commenting on their good shots, etc. I felt so NT that day :lol:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 9:44 am

Quoting lines from movies at every possible opportunity

Using made-up words

Talking about/showing off special interests to people who don't really care

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2011, 9:47 am

People close to me also tell me that I spend too much time behind a computer. Fortunately, my mother and sister are too weird women who don't socialize at home. They just stay indoors and watch TV, so they don't bother me.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 12:50 pm

I speak with all certainty that NTs are nervous around a stimming aspie. My second grade teacher devoted almost a whole year in breaking me of my rocking.

Meltdowns scare the poop out of NTs as well. I made a waitress cry when she witnessed one of explosive violent melt downs.

I walk everywhere so at every job I have ever worked people have made fun of me for it. Some were even angered about my walking everywhere.

My pulling away from people when they are trying to touch me has upset quite a few people. I guess I come off as stuck up or something.

My bad memory has made people think I was somewhat retarded.

Eating the same thing at work everyday has pissed off co-workers like you would not believe.

JadeEyes
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2011, 12:58 pm

1) Talikng too much abouyt myself
2) bringing up Gaara(my special interest) too often
3) vibrating in place when i become bored or over-focused
4) stuttering, though i only do that when im tired or nervous
5) taking too long to do things, because everything must be done systematically. I notice that i take really long washing dishes or getting dressed for instance.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 3:53 pm

Not getting things
Not seeing things their way
Taking too long in the shower
Taking things literal
Not understanding instructions
Anxiety
Correcting people
Asking too many questions
Arguing
Not socializing
"Always having to be right" this is what has been described about me
"Thinking I am right" Also described by others
Pacing
Forgetting to do things
Getting bored easily
Talking too loud and too fast

And I am sure it annoys people when I don't really listen to what people say to me because I am too busy with the computer or with whatever I am doing

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 2:28 am

I'm quite sure people don't understand meltdowns. Furthermore, a crying fit just makes someone look helpless to them. Helplessness breeds contempt, unless you're a child. And even then...

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 7:59 am

Not often being able to say "little words" like hello, goodbye, thank you, you're welcome, etc., even when I mean them.

Not responding to people in any way at all that they're able to see. Acting "like they're not there," according to them, even if I am doing anything but.

Apparently, from an interaction I just had with a nurse (I'm in the hospital), I say things that people take as implications about themselves even if I'm not talking about them at all, and they get snippy.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 9:13 am

Moog wrote:
One thing I noticed on a recent outing with other aspies and auties recently is the lack of reciprocity... no feedback. We were playing snooker and I was the only one cheering the others or commenting on their good shots, etc. I felt so NT that day :lol:

I read a book recently that said something along the lines of:
"Humans thrive on social feedback. Imagine a world with hardly any social feedback. How awful would that be?"

I don't have to imagine!
Welcome to my house!
Welcome to the IT and Science courses that I've been on.

I have met friendly people in these situations. People who cared deeply and said the bare minimum of what was required. No natter natter natter. They just said what needed to be said. That was it.

No, it wasn't awful for me in these situations.
"Actions speak louder than words".
If you've been brought up in situations like this, how can it be awful to enjoy a deep conversation of few words with somebody?
How can it be awful to do something you're interested in with people you love.

I honestly didn't see anything wrong with people being quiet or having their own interests.
If friends, family and teachers were like this and still kind, I didn't see anything wrong with it.

It kind of makes me regret sharing personal/emotional problems with family because PSHE lessons told me to. It made them uncomfortable. They bottled up their emotional problems and didn't really see the need to share them. They just dealt with things by sitting quietly and thinking them through. They encouraged me to do the same.

I was so confused with what people really wanted from me.
There was the "do your own thing" ethic at home vs the "join hands and confess all" ethic at school.

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2011, 10:57 am

rpcarnell wrote:
(5) Arguing too much, because I know I am right. A fine example is this guy, he tells me that when an aircraft's engine shuts down, the aircraft plunges to the ground, and he compares this to a car because a car without two tires would not be able to move. Thing is, a car relies on friction, and the airplane relies on aerodynamics. One engine is enough for the aircraft to execute an emergency landing. I realized I might be irritating the guy, so I stopped arguing.

Airplanes have to be designed to emergency land without either engine, within a certain distance. They are required to preform most flight maneuvers after half of the of the engines have failed.

Quote:
I read a book recently that said something along the lines of:
"Humans thrive on social feedback. Imagine a world with hardly any social feedback. How awful would that be?"

I always resented the fact that many NTs require constant social feedback and encouragement, while simultaneously trying to pretend they don't. They probably should work on their self esteem issues so that they don't need this. :D

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 12:14 pm

Talking to the table in front of me, or answering questions to the wall rather than to the person who asked them.