Male with Migraine 19%  19%  [ 84 ]
Male without Migraine 6%  6%  [ 25 ]
Male without Migraine 6%  6%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 435

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 2:35 am

Male with migraines, have had them 1-2 times a week since my 20's (I'm now 49). Usually triggered by weather changes (barometric pressure rising / falling). Have the pain in and just above my right eye socket, nausea, sensitivity to light (more often than sensitivity to sound). I've never had any kind of aura, though. Have a prescription for 100 Mg. Imitrex (Sumatriptan) for a long time. In the past few years, I've had to go to the hospital twice with migraines that wouldn't go away after 3-4 days. On those occasions, they gave me ergotrate and Demerol via IV, which would promptly put me to sleep for a couple hours, then they woke me and sent me home (making sure that someone else was driving, of course)... as I was still in la-la land! :lol:

BoltOn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2014, 9:42 pm

Male.
I get a genuine Migraine once a year, but now I seem to be down to one every two years, for which I am grateful.
Extreme pain in the left cranial hemisphere. An odd thing is that it used to start along the top of my skull but now it starts in my eye arch just above my nose, which causes me to mistake it for sinus pain until it passes the point where it blows cover.
Nausea, loss of balance, extreme photophobia, can't think, painkillers only dull the pain not remove it (we now know why this is, Migraines are related to Epilepsy and are not actually physical, but I digress), but the painkillers do allow me to sleep through the worst of it.
Leaves me with a sore spot on the top of the left side of my skull, always in the same spot. This is typical of Migraines in general.

Apart from that I get mild headaches a lot, particularly under social pressure or if I get motion sick.
Bright light does me no favours at all.

TheMighty_Moo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2014, 5:39 am

*sees the results*
CAPTAIN MCNUGGETS!! 8O

I'm actually pretty surprised.
Migraines may be connected to our brain's functions and sensitivity to stimuli, since it's pretty different than NT's.

Moo approves!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 5:44 am

I get migraines fairly often.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 2:35 pm

Normal headaches around every 3 days,
migraines around every week.
Had one yesterday that was so bad couldn't walk home.
:D D:

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 2:59 pm

Sudden-onset, prolonged and spatially variable headaches.

(This is not migraine)

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2014, 1:35 am

I have migraines and neuralgia from a head injury, not from autism.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2014, 3:36 am

I've had them for decades. They don't come as often as they did but maybe that is possibly due to me not eating as much of the food types thought to be triggers - dairy stuff like chocolate, cheese etc. I have no idea if there is a scientific basis for that or it is urban legend, but when I cut down I had less attacks. I do have headaches pretty much all of the time but am very light/sound sensitive which doesn't help. The medication has improved over the years so that is a comfort.

I am interested in the comment about excessive brain activity being a trigger as I often find myself stuck in a feedback loop in my head going over things/situations/plans again and again. This causes me neck and head pain which can sometimes escalate into a full blown migraine and a lie down in a dark room with earplugs.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 11:46 pm

Davvo7 wrote:
I've had them for decades. They don't come as often as they did but maybe that is possibly due to me not eating as much of the food types thought to be triggers - dairy stuff like chocolate, cheese etc. I have no idea if there is a scientific basis for that or it is urban legend, but when I cut down I had less attacks. I do have headaches pretty much all of the time but am very light/sound sensitive which doesn't help. The medication has improved over the years so that is a comfort.

I am interested in the comment about excessive brain activity being a trigger as I often find myself stuck in a feedback loop in my head going over things/situations/plans again and again. This causes me neck and head pain which can sometimes escalate into a full blown migraine and a lie down in a dark room with earplugs.

Holy crap, I thought mine might have just been related to adolescence as I had all my migraines in my teens except for one in my early 20s in 2006. But I'd been experimenting with giving up dairy for digestive reasons and finally gave it up (apart from a little cheese now and then) by 2008 and I haven't had a blinding agonising migraine in that time. Maybe they were diet related but it definitely seems they started with puberty.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 11:57 pm

They ended when I turned 20. In all my adult life after that, there was only one episode in over 40 years.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 2:11 am

B19 wrote:
They ended when I turned 20. In all my adult life after that, there was only one episode in over 40 years.

Did you ever feel like yours might have been connected to brightness? For example were they all at day time? Particularly bright days?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 3:54 am

Not that I noticed. I think they were triggered by sudden and extreme hormonal shifts. The worst ones occurred in the weeks after I had my first child, very severe.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 5:40 am

Yes. I get two different types of migraine. I get ocular migraines. This type, for me at least, are painless, but my vision becomes disrupted for anywhere from 20-60 minutes. I basically have to sit around. I get these a couple of times a month. The other kind are the nasty kind. These vary in severity for me, thank fully. When I get a full blown really bad one I become utterly useless. I get sick to my stomach, light/sound are unbearable, I get body aches and a feverish feeling complete with a sensation fo chills and sweats with no actual fever. And oh yeah I get so dizzy I cant stand up. I used to get them like this a for 1-3 days per month. I started charting them and realized that these very severe ones were cyclic. I went on bcp and the are now no longer this bad. Not fun, but I can take it and maybe not miss work. Now other times I get more mild ones that are "just" searing pain and nausea. Fortunately they mostly start later in he day worsening into the night. So at least I don't miss work, although maybe I leave a little early if it's bad. I have these in spurts. I might go a week or two with out and then have them every day for a few days to 2 weeks in a row. I have been diagnosed with migraines. The medication did not work.

Geriatric_Kid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2014, 1:39 pm

First post here.

This thread is a bit long-in-the-tooth, but the subject elicited some curiosity, so I joined the forum.

I'm an undiagnosed, probable-aspie. Have an aspie kid as well.

I've read that seizure disorders are more common with autistic-spectrum folks, and it seems that migraines might be, too.

Had grand mal seizures for at least 10 years, as an adult. A seizure was occasionally preceded by an aura (not an ocular migraine aura), although I didn't recognize the aura at the time. Every seizure happened in my sleep. Sometimes, I'd comment that I thought something bad was going to happen that night, because I could feel it coming. Just didn't know it was an impending seizure. Finally, one was witnessed, and the mystery was cleared up. Those ended almost 30 years ago, and I don't know why.

For about the past 20 years or so, I've been experiencing ocular migraines, and they've been becoming a bit more frequent lately--maybe one every two weeks now.

So, are these all comorbid with being on the spectrum? I'd hope that an increasing number of ocular migraines has nothing to do with the risk of seizures, because I doubt I'd survive another one of those. Anyone happen across these things, all together in one person?

Thanks!

Last edited by Geriatric_Kid on 04 Nov 2014, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 3:59 pm

I get headaches, but I've never had a migraine. But I know plenty of NTs who have migraines what make them sick.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 5:32 pm

Geriatric Kid, both seizures and migraines are co-morbid with ASD. I have read a lot about "why seizures?" and the most persuasive argument for me is that in ASD, seizures are more common because of 1) ASD brains have more electrical activity (possibly leading to episodes where there areas of build-up and then subsequent discharge) and 2) the speeds of the electrical impulses are faster. Like everything in ASD research these causal factors are in dispute with some claiming the opposite...