Reaction
Poll ended at 31 Mar 2011, 10:21 am
Yay! 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
Noooo! 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 20

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Mar 2011, 1:58 pm

Cannabis shuts down a lot of my language, and even access to concepts described by language. This may be a typical response for people, but it's not much help to me when I already don't have a thoroughly tight grasp on language or concepts.

I've also lost my visual thinking and only had words on cannabis, and since my ability to think in words is extremely limited and simplistic, that was a further problem.

I mean, I don't find these particularly negative but they do mean I'm not going to use cannabis to treat anything, as it exaggerates what I already cope with.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 2:03 pm

Why does its say families? Why would they use children for this?

JSMC
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2011, 2:09 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Cannabis shuts down a lot of my language, and even access to concepts described by language. This may be a typical response for people, but it's not much help to me when I already don't have a thoroughly tight grasp on language or concepts.

I've also lost my visual thinking and only had words on cannabis, and since my ability to think in words is extremely limited and simplistic, that was a further problem.

I mean, I don't find these particularly negative but they do mean I'm not going to use cannabis to treat anything, as it exaggerates what I already cope with.

Again, please specify the type of weed you used (street? therapeutic?). This is important!

As for me, I speak much more when I'm high, I have less anxiety with my friends and my thinking is slowed down, so the words I speak are much more thought and less innapropriate! Much more control on my behavior!

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2011, 2:10 pm

ikorack wrote:
Why does its say families? Why would they use children for this?

Because us adults can look after ourselves, a lot of american parents of autistic kids don't want to be thrown in jail or have their kids taken away so the study is to try to begin to show that cannabis is not only safe for kids but safe for autistic kids.

~with marijuana your baby is fine~

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 2:11 pm

JSMC wrote:
As for people who say it's not good for them. Can you precise what type of weed you tried??? Is it street canabis or legal cannabis? Their's as much difference between those two as Speed vs Ritalin for ADHD!! !

"Not good for you" is very subjective. I grew my own when getting caught was not a good thing (late 70's). Some of the best sensemilla buds you ever saw. Those plants were my babies. But it was not good for me. That's just me. I doubt I would ever try it again. It would take some really hard science to convince me otherwise. Then it would have to be strictly monitored. I'm telling you, it was not normal what when on in my brain when I smoked that stuff.

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2011, 2:15 pm

Verdandi wrote:

I've had this effect too, I put it down to too much of the wrong strain!

There is a dose-dependant line between 'functioning better' and 'high autistic person'!

I've noticed some strains are very good for me. G16 and Shiva Shanti to name but 2. Moroccan hashish works well for me too.

Only some strains make me properly functional but the rest are better than the ruin I bring upon myself when I am stone cold sober!

When not on cannabis I behave in ways that invoke 'defensive' responses from others. This simply never happens when I am on pot. Can anyone explain that?

JSMC
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2011, 2:23 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
JSMC wrote:
As for people who say it's not good for them. Can you precise what type of weed you tried??? Is it street canabis or legal cannabis? Their's as much difference between those two as Speed vs Ritalin for ADHD!! !

"Not good for you" is very subjective. I grew my own when getting caught was not a good thing (late 70's). Some of the best sensemilla buds you ever saw. Those plants were my babies. But it was not good for me. That's just me. I doubt I would ever try it again. It would take some really hard science to convince me otherwise. Then it would have to be strictly monitored. I'm telling you, it was not normal what when on in my brain when I smoked that stuff.

Did you know what type you grew? Indica or sativa? What strain? What THC and CBD levels? What type of nutrients? I presume you knew how to cure and dry those buds. A lot of changes has been made in strain types since the 70's! Quebec is worldly known for the quality of our buds and I know that other country don't get the same quality as we got here, some say it's because of our climat (extreme cold and heat -30 to +30 celsius)

I think you should get a look at this site and get more information. strainhunters.com

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2011, 2:44 pm

JSMC wrote:

What strain would you grow???!

Sour-Diesel/SAGE
Chemdawg
Grape Ape or a similar indica

I'm a little less like Gregory House when I'm high, makes me friendlier, happy, and it's good for migraines and sleep as well.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 2:45 pm

This sounds awesome! Although it makes me wonder about the difference in the way cannabis affects people on the autism spectrum vs. anti-psychotic & anti-depressant medications? Which sound better autistic people are treated with only anti-psychotics/anti-depressants, etc. and no cannabis or ONLY cannabis and no anti-psychotic/anti-depressant meds?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 2:46 pm

JSMC wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
JSMC wrote:

Did you know what type you grew? Indica or sativa? What strain? What THC and CBD levels? What type of nutrients? I presume you knew how to cure and dry those buds. A lot of changes has been made in strain types since the 70's! Quebec is worldly known for the quality of our buds and I know that other country don't get the same quality as we got here, some say it's because of our climat (extreme cold and heat -30 to +30 celsius)

I think you should get a look at this site and get more information. strainhunters.com

Dude. That was 35 years ago. I don't remember all the details other than done to the best what knowledge was available to me. The guy that taught me was totally organic and knew his stuff. He didn't sell and was very tight lipped. Back then he would have gone to jail and this was in Southern California. It wasn't so easy to get good info back then. No internet.

Like I said. My experience was not good. It will take some really hard science to convince me to try it again. Not anecdotal "this worked for me" testimonials. This really shouldn't surprise you. Not everyone responds to psychoactive chemicals in the same way. Some people just can't handle it.

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 2:50 pm

Xeno wrote:
Just because it's controversial doesn't mean it's spam. Thanks for posting about this.

i second that
in my own use i found that high quality, but low thc is perfect for me
thc will make me worse....sometimes a lot worse but there are other chem. besides thc that have a lot of uses(for me my prob. start when my mind starts racing.it alows me to relax and focus).
if your going to medicate a child (whitch you should use as a last resort) i could think of a lot worse chem. out there

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 2:59 pm

CannabisForAutism wrote:

Which means a new study has been done and is now being documented and it is a study of 10. Previously the only study was pure THC and only on one child.

This is the first, everything up until now has been anecdotal. Ten years of people treating autism with cannabis and it's only just come this far.

So for those who have been let down by existing medications and are seeking a new option, there is a new chance to look at cannabis as something other than a desperate measure!

Thank you. Perhaps my cynicism clouded my vision - I saw a bunch of marketing-speak, and missed this part.

A study of 10 is not very definitive, but it's a start. It will be interesting to see what they discover. It may be a bit premature to claim it as an epiphany for the entire medical establishment, though.

JSMC
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2011, 3:40 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Dude. That was 35 years ago. I don't remember all the details other than done to the best what knowledge was available to me. The guy that taught me was totally organic and knew his stuff. He didn't sell and was very tight lipped. Back then he would have gone to jail and this was in Southern California. It wasn't so easy to get good info back then. No internet.

Things have evolved a lot in that matter in the past 35 years. More control, more knowledge, more research done, more strain!

wavefreak58 wrote:
Like I said. My experience was not good. It will take some really hard science to convince me to try it again. Not anecdotal "this worked for me" testimonials. This really shouldn't surprise you. Not everyone responds to psychoactive chemicals in the same way. Some people just can't handle it.

I understand what you mean, and it's hard to make you see how it changes my life without a testimony. Because it's illegal in most country, it's hard to find research based on pure facts done in lab! It's a new research domaine, for now we can only base the evidence on testimony and how it helps people! What would you need as far as evidence? I would like to do my own research and it would help me a lot if I can figure out what evidence people seek, except testimony ;) ! I have a friend who's bipolar, another with ADHD, many ADD cases in my family also alzheimer and probably autism. So if I could help them that would be amazing! But since those problem are neurologic, it's hard to find chemical facts, fMRI isn't that easy to get and would probably get the evidence you seek! Maybe I'll work on optical imaging (the future of functionnal cerebral imaging). Help me help you ;)...

IvyMike, have you ever tried Cannatonic? The highest CBD level giving a THC:CBD ratio of 1:1. The same as Sativex...

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 3:53 pm

JSMC wrote:
I understand what you mean, and it's hard to make you see how it changes my life without a testimony.
Quote:

I'm not discounting your experience. I would not surprise me at all that it has a genuinely positive effect on some people. It is after all, psychoactive, just like any big pharma produced anti-depressant. There is nothing magical about pharmaceutical companies that invalidates other forms of chemical interventions.

Quote:
Because it's illegal in most country, it's hard to find research based on pure facts done in lab! It's a new research domaine, for now we can only base the evidence on testimony and how it helps people! What would you need as far as evidence?

Peer reviewed, double blind studies linked to specific autistic symptoms. Even better with plausible theories on interactions with the underlying neurology.

I understand that the current level of scientific inquiry is limited. Partly because of big business interests in controlling the ultimate money flow. But it will happen. I'll wait. I'm patient.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2011, 3:59 pm

I think this is worse than spam... it is pure BS.

I came from a 1960s/1970s culture where it was rare to find anyone who did not partake, and although I find it much easier to list the substances I did NOT try at least once back in those days than to list those that I DID use, I actually never did like the cannabis based substances at all. It forced me too deeply into my shell (back when I had no idea that I was an Aspie and that this was the reason why) when I wanted so desperately to be able to relate to people better. My favorites were the psychedelics and especially the great number 25.

This so called medical report looks more to me like an effort to gain recognition by some fly-by-night group who want some way to further their agenda. It reminds me of a meeting that was arranged one time back in the Spring of 1972 between my crowd of friends (about a dozen of us) and a representative of NORML. That guy was so full of BS that every last one of us found some excuse to step out one by one and go someplace else, eventually leaving the poor guy from NORML sitting there alone.

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2011, 4:05 pm

TTRSage wrote:
I think this is worse than spam... it is pure BS.

I came from a 1960s/1970s culture where it was rare to find anyone who did not partake, and although I find it much easier to list the substances I did NOT try at least once back in those days than to list those that I DID use, I actually never did like the cannabis based substances at all. It forced me too deeply into my shell (back when I had no idea that I was an Aspie and that this was the reason why) when I wanted so desperately to be able to relate to people better. My favorites were the psychedelics and especially the great number 25.

This so called medical report looks more to me like an effort to gain recognition by some fly-by-night group who want some way to further their agenda. It reminds me of a meeting that was arranged one time back in the Spring of 1972 between my crowd of friends (about a dozen of us) and a representative of NORML. That guy was so full of BS that every last one of us found some excuse to step out one by one and go someplace else, eventually leaving the poor guy from NORML sitting there alone.

Cool story bro