Page 6 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 9:50 pm

daydreamer84
what is stimming anyway? is it like shaking your leg, just shaking it? and like feeling your hair then when u feel some kind of tangle, fold or courseness in the hair, i pull it? i've been doing the leg shaking ever since. and the hair thing just recently, but i think its stress.

Sirunus
then let me be your friend. i'll be your friend even just through here. talk to me about what you want to talk about or what concerns you and i'll be there for you. and i'll talk to you too about whatever and however good friends are.

Quote:
Attention is the light of the human soul, and sometimes I'm so starved of attention, I'll settle for hate. But hate will eventually eat me alive, stripping away my heart until there is nothing left.

i know exactly what you are talking about. but as an NT that does not starve attention, i was deprived of it by the very person i only wanted it from. i was rather even left in the dark and when i got lost in the such darkness it was held against me. and he may never know my heart amidst such darkness now that i'll just be forever lost till someone would shed some light to my heart which comes only in decades. and that's my aspie and my dad has done that to me too for years. :|

and DandelionFireworks
i kinda do that, especially when i speak obsessively about everything regarding AS to my family and friends, and when they state their negative or poor notion about it. if it struck me strongly rather negatively i'll point out that they may have or strongly resemble it or someone important to them does. it is very unwelcome to them and at that point i know i have their full attention then i could point out how it is wrong and how wrong it is to think or say that, then i'd get their empathy or sympathy; then i'd point out what's probably cool about it or its strengths having it, then there i get their respect for it. i was a bully when i was younger and i could still wear that suit. i'm alpha male but i do not bully those weaker than me. i bully those that think they're strong but prey on who seem weaker than them. so i could do that and i will do that.

but the help i wish to impart is a personal kind of help. like what they say if you can't change the world, change yourself. not what's about you and especially not to compromise who you are and not what you can't change but the way you see and feel and receive things. you know like sometimes its actually ourselves which is our worst enemy, thats sometimes its a bigger enemy than the world. if your heart is not at home in the world, i'd like to make or find a place in one self in all this a home to its own heart. you know, like we could conquer the world in numbers but you can't do that to a heart. i'd like to and i will help in the way you said, it's just that this is the way i really wish i could help because that's how i help tons of my NT friends regardless how different we or they are from each other, its only the world that sets what is different but we are all the same with our hearts..

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 1:04 am

NcNbl wrote:
daydreamer84
what is stimming anyway? is it like shaking your leg, just shaking it? and like feeling your hair then when u feel some kind of tangle, fold or courseness in the hair, i pull it? i've been doing the leg shaking ever since. and the hair thing just recently, but i think its stress.

Yes stimming is a colloquial term meaning self-stimulation is one of the symptoms in the "stereotyped restrictive and repetitive patterns of behaviour and interests" category of AS. The thing is everybody does this to some extent......and people with ADHD may do this more than normal too (hyperactive fidgeting). I've seen a lot of NT's shake their leg, tap a pencil, drum fingers etc, but some people with ASD's might "stim" constantly (since they were a very young child) and at inappropriate times (are unable to stop when they need to. Also there are certain kinds of stimming that are more often associated with AS for example rocking, hand flapping, finger twirling, dangling string/playing with objects (it's a tactile stim), staring at lights, watching rotating fan etc. When I was a child I would go everywhere (including school) with a sweater with a string attached to it, scrunch up my face and watch the string dangle in front of my face. I would do to this during class,(in kindergarten) at recess even though people would laugh at me for doing it, at home etc(just constantly). I would throw a huge tantrum if (as in grade 1 and higher grades) it was taken away from me…..even just for the school day. I was reading a communication (open to the public) by a psychiatrist on the committee working on the DSM V about the changes being made in the DSM and what should be examined/changed…it talked about the diagnostic criteria at length. It said that sensory stims in early childhood (i.e. staring at lights or a rotating fan) and stimming with objects (I. fiddling with string... which is also sensory) are better predictors of ASD's than motor stims (rocking). The communication also said that these behaviours are often transitory in children with AS (children often grow out of them) so they may not be as good predictors as other ASD characteristics….. although it mentioned that they "can still be observed in some adults with high functioning ASD or AS". These behaviours are more common in people with classic Autism in adulthood (generally in lower functioning individuals). Nonetheless I'm diagnosed with AS , I have a high verbal IQ and am an adult and I still play with objects like string (that have to have a certain feel). I do it in private only now.

Anyways sorry for writing an apostle........autism is a special interest...if you ask me anything about autism or neuroscience I will probably give you an insanely long reply.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 1:15 am

I don't understand what it is you're saying you want to do.

NOT A DOCTOR

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 9:13 am

DandelionFireworks wrote:
I don't understand what it is you're saying you want to do.

lol which do you mean?

so what i thought stimming was is correct.. its okay, its actually very cool that you could discuss it that way so i could put words to what i know or to what i'm learning. usually i can't say what i know, i just know it, i cant put it into words or let it out, like its just in my head. thats why i'm good at exams but if the exam does not speak to me, i have no idea what it is asking. i kinda have to imitate how other people would say something. that's why i like books or reading, thats why i'm good at reporting or presentations and i could memorize fairly fast. and sometimes i dont know what i know.. weird huh?! hehe..

hey i've been meaning to ask this but i dunno to whom or how, its about eating. i dont go hungry. or i dont usually feel it. i only know i need to eat when i'm getting dizzy or i'm already having double vision, or if i know i havnt eaten whole day. i could last more than 12hours without food. then when i eat, i dont like eating large amount of food or feeling full, it makes me feel bad. it feels like guilt but i dont feel guilty or i am not guilty. if i feel full, it feels wrong, or like how you feel when you have done something wrong. my mom said she has that too, is that anorexia?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Mar 2011, 3:19 pm

NcNbl wrote:
what is stimming anyway?
Along with what daydreamer84 said, search YouTube for "autism stimming". Many examples have been posted there.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 3:31 pm

Molecular_Biologist wrote:
NcNbl wrote:
i know that it might be a weird thing to hear but not like its really gonna happen.. i just really want to know what it is like..
so that i could understand things and also help with things..
and i just really have a certain affinity for it without even being related to anyone in the spectrum.

Find an empty storefront that faces a busy street and lock yourself in alone and throw away the key.

Then you get to watch everyone live their lives, but you are unable to interact or participate in anyway.

That is what its like.

This is a heartbreakingly apt analogy. One box we'll never be able to think outside of.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2011, 4:49 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Um, if autistic people have our own culture, why haven't I heard about it?
I don't know. That's kind of like saying a fish hasn't heard of water, though. You're already part of autistic culture--it's mostly online, because autism makes it more difficult to communicate face-to-face. When you come here and you expect people to know what you're referring to when you say "stimming" or "meltdown" or "special interest", you're drawing on the common knowledge that is part of autistic culture. One big part of autistic culture is of course represented by the autism rights/neurodiversity movement, which is a branch of the disability rights movement; but not all of autistic culture is deeply involved in autism rights; some people are just hanging out with other autistics with whom they see eye-to-eye.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com