Page 4 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 6:11 pm

I should have been more precise: I meant not being able to make phone calls due to anxiety.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2011, 7:26 pm

I hope not to be insulting, but i think your description sort of reads like that from people who have schizoid personality disorder.

The whole idea of understanding the game of socialization, being able to play it adequately, yet never really enjoying it or forming a lasting connection with people based on it.

I know someone who has this, in some respects their point of view is similar, in others very different.

torako
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2011, 7:43 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
this may be a first for autism but this is not a new phenominom.have your heard of body identity integrity disorder.this means people who want to be disabled usualy amputees and paraplegics.i have seen post on non specific disability forums where people amputated there own limbs.there is a website that specializes in this called transabled.org

body integrity identity disorder is just people who want *physical* disabilities. hence the "body integrity" part of the name. plus, it's not really people who just wish they were disabled because it would be "cool", it's a serious neurological disorder that affects the brain's "body map" and makes the affected person feel that their body is wrong because it does not have the impairment. it is often compared to gender identity disorder (transgender) because it is the same feeling of the body being 'wrong'.

please please PLEASE don't talk about things you don't know anything about.

manlyadam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2011, 7:51 pm

I would say "no way, I'd never trade" if it weren't for the crushing loneliness, for everything great I have it hurts to feel like I've been designed to be alone but then again I don't really like either choice, I would choose to live in a world where everyone has aspergers if I could.

torako
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2011, 7:51 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
it doesnt matter what you are or are not technicaly,if you identify with us,then hang out with us and have fun.also maybe check out some stuff about body identity integrity disorder,which typicaly aplies to physical disabilities but it would give you people to talk to who want to be disabled

stop. now. just STOP.

this isn't funny or cool, ok?

you don't have BIID, you don't know what you're talking about, STOP.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 7:56 pm

I wish you can feel the unease I get when around crowds of people. Once you feel how bad my anxiety is you would take those words back. I don't like to be touch I do not allow my parents to touch me. Think you could handle this? I hate how people say their Aspergers is a gift. To me its a curse we were given above average intelligence and social anxiety. This means we have the smarts to see how this is a bad thing and that were are missing out on a lot of things NTs take for granted. A gift would be having social anxiety and being born too stupid to care about what you are missing out of and not noticing you are not like everyone else.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 8:04 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Are you sure you aren't an Aspie?

There's no point in getting a diagnosis if you're functioning, but since you want to understand yourself, there's clearly a point to you looking into the matter.

Maybe you're an endophenotype for autism......that means you have some but not all of the genes (sorry if you already know this) Autism is a polygenic disorder and in my abnormal psych lecture they mentioned that the genes for the three different domains of impairment in the triad of impairment (social interaction, communication and repetitive behaviours) might be inherited separately. They think this because ppl in the general population ( a small but significant percentage) meet criteria (are in the clinical range) for only one of the domains of impairment but not the others. So maybe you have the set of genes that lead to the repetitive behaviours component of AS but not the social impairment genes (I think that would be a really good deal actually) :)

Endophenotypes are important for genetic research bcs it reduces the complexity of researching a disorder determined by so many genes and gene/environment interactions and makes the disorder easier to study. Maybe one day when we know more about endophenotypes for autism you could even be helpful to the scientific community. :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Mar 2011, 8:56 pm

torako wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
this may be a first for autism but this is not a new phenominom.have your heard of body identity integrity disorder.this means people who want to be disabled usualy amputees and paraplegics.i have seen post on non specific disability forums where people amputated there own limbs.there is a website that specializes in this called transabled.org

body integrity identity disorder is just people who want *physical* disabilities. hence the "body integrity" part of the name. plus, it's not really people who just wish they were disabled because it would be "cool", it's a serious neurological disorder that affects the brain's "body map" and makes the affected person feel that their body is wrong because it does not have the impairment. it is often compared to gender identity disorder (transgender) because it is the same feeling of the body being 'wrong'.

I would argue it probably isn't the same feeling of the body being 'wrong' and that they should probably find a different way to explain it.

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 9:11 pm

torako wrote:

i agree; as to how this might not exactly compare to my sentiments, and that its more like a transgender case thing.. but i get the comparison their trying to say though, its just more focused on physical than psychological. im like transneurological? 8O
Todesking wrote:
I wish you can feel the unease I get when around crowds of people. Once you feel how bad my anxiety is you would take those words back. I don't like to be touch I do not allow my parents to touch me.

i do feel uneasy in crowds and some touches but only to a certain degree and time period. my personal space is actually huge and i dont just want people in it, but i know there are people i have to and would like to. i also like to be alone most of the time and i dont want to just talk nor engage other people..
Todesking wrote:
that were are missing out on a lot of things NTs take for granted.

this is actually what i feel most compassionate about towards people in the spectrum. i understand what you mean, believe it or not. i'm sorry you feel that way towards your AS but you have to respect how it might be different for other people whether its how their AS is or how they wish to view it.

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 9:27 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:

There's no point in getting a diagnosis if you're functioning, but since you want to understand yourself, there's clearly a point to you looking into the matter.

Maybe you're an endophenotype for autism......that means you have some but not all of the genes (sorry if you already know this) Autism is a polygenic disorder and in my abnormal psych lecture they mentioned that the genes for the three different domains of impairment in the triad of impairment (social interaction, communication and repetitive behaviours) might be inherited separately. They think this because ppl in the general population ( a small but significant percentage) meet criteria (are in the clinical range) for only one of the domains of impairment but not the others. So maybe you have the set of genes that lead to the repetitive behaviours component of AS but not the social impairment genes (I think that would be a really good deal actually) :)

Endophenotypes are important for genetic research bcs it reduces the complexity of researching a disorder determined by so many genes and gene/environment interactions and makes the disorder easier to study. Maybe one day when we know more about endophenotypes for autism you could even be helpful to the scientific community. :)

i took these personality/psychological tests before too, way back high school and my results all says endo--- whatever hehe.. but AS is not in my family, or maybe its just not that obvious to me or us. tell me more about this endophenotype and the repetitive behaviors.. you taking up abpsych? i will take up masters in counselling psychology then phd, i want to be a psychologist and specialize in AS because of my aspie and all this actually.

that be so cool! if i could help the research and help the AS community even physically, but just dont lobotomize me.. uncool! hehe..

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 9:34 pm

Some autism has been proven to be non-genetic. Also, have you ever heard of a de novo mutation? It means instead of just getting half your mother's genes and half your father's, you just kind of make up part of the sequence.

NOT A DOCTOR

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 9:36 pm

Nickay12 wrote:
Yes, I am new :oD A Borderline mind must be mega, people say "that the grass is always greener on the other side"
Where as you get to look into both sides.

You're welcome for the comment, people like you are rare.
I wish the world had more open-mindedness.

I probably wouldn't be so scared of the world outside my comfort zone if there were. :op

oh yeah! ...but i also see the dead grass on both sides.. i could kinda suffer twice too, so i have to switch view/sides but it could be difficult esp if you're already afflicted.. i'm kinda ambidextrous or im like an oxymoron, once called or told.. yeah, i kinda know i'm rare, i always feel different and sometimes i feel alone but not here or with my aspie. like i try my best to understand people but no one would bother to understand, suit or disect me, or at least my thoughts.. hehe.. the good thing is i could survive whichever sides and when i'm happy, i'm kinda happy in so many levels haha!

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 9:45 pm

Some autism has been proven to be non-genetic. Also, have you ever heard of a de novo mutation? It means instead of just getting half your mother's genes and half your father's, you just kind of make up part of the sequence.

OMG what?! where can i learn these?! no i havent heard of that.. i'm a mutant now?! i always wanted to be an X-man but that's my childhood.. but i'm a very good mix and blend of both of my parents, physically and psychologically.. or their mix did this to me? but i was abused when i was a kid too though, from about 3 to 8-9 y/o. okay, am i having serious psychological identity issues now?

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2011, 10:16 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
The cool part for me is being able to be my own person, no matter what the calender year is. 8)

I second that motion... in spades. Don't you just hate conformity and idiots who follow other idiots as the leader jumps off a cliff... and tries to make it sound like the greatest thing in the world. Its no better than what a herd of cows do on a stampede. Of course Dr. Temple Grandin shows that cows behave more like Aspies than NTs so all the NTs who play follow the leader are lower than cows... much lower.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 10:21 pm

NcNbl wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

i took these personality/psychological tests before too, way back high school and my results all says endo--- whatever hehe.. but AS is not in my family, or maybe its just not that obvious to me or us. tell me more about this endophenotype and the repetitive behaviors.. you taking up abpsych? i will take up masters in counselling psychology then phd, i want to be a psychologist and specialize in AS because of my aspie and all this actually.

that be so cool! if i could help the research and help the AS community even physically, but just dont lobotomize me.. uncool! hehe..

Well since autism is a disorder caused by many genes (in most cases , the heritability estimate (percentage of the variance attributable to genetics is about 80%, which is extremely high for a psych disorder). Therefore you can inherit only some of the genes for a disorder and have either sub-threshold symptoms or display some symptoms (at a clinical level) but not others. Repetitive behaviours include very intense (exclusion of most other interests) and often narrow interests, rigid adherence to routines and a need for sameness "same clothes, same food etc" as well as stereotyped motor and sensory behaviours( such as dangling a sting in front of your face, rocking, flapping arms ect). Do you have any of these traits? If you have one of these characteristics (at a clinical level) maybe you inherited genes associated with that characteristic and not the ones associated with the social impairment. Do people in your family have traits of AS? Some people (usually parents of children on the spectrum) now actually get diagnosed with BAP "the Broader Autism Phenotype"....but of course there isn't any point getting diagnosed if your symptoms are not causing you distress/impairment.

I'm getting my undergrad degree in psychology. I've mostly been doing biological psychology and just took abnormal psych this year. I love it...I'm quite obsessed with it at the moment. I think you should study AS since you have such an affinity for it.
:)

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 10:46 pm

Some Aspies find that grocery stores are hell on earth. I derive such an incredible enjoyment from a certain one... I'm really hoping it can stay in business... funny how intense a love that can be. But it does have a dark side: a cafe I went to a few times changed hands. I was so incredibly disappointed when I went there and found out it could never, ever be the same. AAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!! !! NOOOOOOOOO!! !! !

Hehe. There used to be a store like that in the town I live in. It had an amazing smell -- I think it was from a combination of exotic grains, nuts, and other things they sold from big open barrels. And it was always cool and quiet, and had those spinning ventilators in the roof that make flickering light-patterns on the floor. It was one of those places that had a very strong feeling of 'character' to it (which I would get totally immersed in as a kid).

And there was another one I liked for different reasons that was also bought out and changed, after many years in the community. :(

[end of tangent]