Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Shiva2012
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2011, 10:40 am

Anyone else out there have some dyslexic parents and/or family member in addition to "the burgers"?

Oh, and has anyone noticed the metaphor between X-men and the aspergers meta-human group? I tend to believe we're the next step in evolution but then again I also think evolution is running backwards (and out of control) because of civilization...

And by the way, this is my first post in any aspie community... so Ehlo Guvna!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 10:47 am

I'm not sure what you're asking with your first question, but in regards to your second question, I read that the mutants in the X-Men series were an allegory for the gay community, and it makes sense, because there are so many parallels between both groups.

Welcome to Wrong Planet, by the way. :)

dancing_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2011, 10:53 am

My Dad is dyslexic. Apparently some doctor once suggested to him he might be an aspie, too, but I don't think that was ever investigated.
As for me, I think I am very likely an aspie, under the "twice exceptional" category, though, which is why it was likely never checked (my cleverness in general is quite above average, and so I suspect much of my socialization is done computationally).

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 10:53 am

What's untie an x-man? :) Seriously, I've thought of this metaphor before, but I don't think we or they are the next step, just as I don't like the idea of superhuman being more, the way Eric thinks.

I'm more with Charles on his quest to gain acceptance to them.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 10:57 am

X-Men has been used as an allegory for any oppressed group....women, minorities, gays, and I suppose Aspies/autistics are next. I, for one, am joining the Brotherhood of Aspies. It is time for the NT's to be overthrown.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 11:22 am

The X-Men were originally intended a a metaphor for adolescence (their powers kick in at puberty, causing strange changes in their bodies, and they're always being so terribly misunderstood); the introduction of the Brotherhood, and Magneto's backstory, led to the metaphor becoming one for the civil-rights movement of the Sixties (with Prof. Xavier, of course, standing in for Dr. King, and Erik Lensherr playing the part of the mutant Malcolm X). The metaphor for the struggle of homosexuals to be accepted fits in with the civil-rights thing, although it wasn't made blatant until the second X-Men movie (Iceman's mother: "Have you ever tried not being a mutant?").

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 11:30 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
The X-Men were originally intended a a metaphor for adolescence (their powers kick in at puberty, causing strange changes in their bodies, and they're always being so terribly misunderstood); the introduction of the Brotherhood, and Magneto's backstory, led to the metaphor becoming one for the civil-rights movement of the Sixties (with Prof. Xavier, of course, standing in for Dr. King, and Erik Lensherr playing the part of the mutant Malcolm X). The metaphor for the struggle of homosexuals to be accepted fits in with the civil-rights thing, although it wasn't made blatant until the second X-Men movie (Iceman's mother: "Have you ever tried not being a mutant?").

Uh...no the gay metaphor was in the comics in the 90's, with the introduction of gay characters (Northstar) and the Legacy Virus being a metaphor for AIDS.

I'm guessing you're someone who's only seen the movies and not anything else X-Men related.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 12:11 pm

I've been watching the X Men Evolution cartoons lately and really like them. I think there is a parrellel between X men and minority groups. I enjoyed that aspect of it in the movies and thought it was done very well. I often think of Aspies when watching it. It is a way of looking at humanity as a range of different individuals, some similar some very different and unique. I wish I had a super power though, I would put the NT world to rights. :-)

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

SadAspy wrote:
Uh...no the gay metaphor was in the comics in the 90's, with the introduction of gay characters (Northstar) and the Legacy Virus being a metaphor for AIDS.

I'm guessing you're someone who's only seen the movies and not anything else X-Men related.

Just because they didn't start having explicitly gay characters until the 90s doesn't mean it wasn't a blatantly obvious metaphor in the 60s. Anyone who was gay in the 60s and reading X-Men was getting a lot more meaning out of it than straight people.

But it's silly to insist that X-Men was ever a metaphor for one thing. If you were gay, black, Jewish, or just a nerd, X-Men was aimed at you, and it was intentional. Stan Lee has said as much on many occasions.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 4:30 pm

Actually, Sad, there were no gay X-Men in the '90s - back then, Northstar was in Alpha Flight. (Well, perhaps I should say that there were no out gay X-Men - there were a few whose orientation was never mentioned, because it never mattered. It's quite possible that, say, Exodus was gay, because all we ever knew about him was that he was a fanatic follower of his vision of Magneto.)

I take it that you're unfamiliar with a comics history that goes back to the early '60s? Or perhaps with the concept that being snide is seldom well-received? (It can be taken as read that you are unfamiliar with the fact that until 1973, homosexuality was still officially listed as a psychological disorder, requiring treatment...)

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 5:18 pm

DeaconBlues is correct. The X-Men were fundamentally a metaphor/avatar/vehicle for the target audience of the original comics.

The year is still young.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Aug 2011, 6:07 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:

The intent all along was to parallel the civil rights movement with the X-Men vs. the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. The first five issues of the X-Men was about fighting Magneto and his brotherhood.

Of course this is problematic in many ways (Rev. King and Malcolm X were on pretty good terms, I understand). One thing is how the "good mutants" are always fighting to beat down the "bad mutants" to prove their worth to baseline humanity.

Writers in following years created parallels with other movements.