Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Do you have trouble talking on the phone?
Aspie and yes 73%  73%  [ 77 ]
Aspie and no 14%  14%  [ 15 ]
NT and yes 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
NT and no 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other 9%  9%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 105

Spinnekop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2011, 4:30 am

I DETEST talking over the phone. I never know what to make of pauses, if I am supposed to say anything or not, sometimes I don't know if it is my turn to speak or not. It is like walking somewhere in total dark - you can't see what the other person is doing, looks like, and tone of voice is hard to hear.

Interesting that many of you say you prefer land lines over cell phones. I hate talking over a cell, I much prefer land lines. Was talking about this just this morning.

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 4:41 am

I used to not like it but it's less of a hassle than texting on a touchscreen phone.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 6:22 am

I absolutely hate it. And the rest of my family are very sociable so we get phone calls non-stop. My dad hates it too. He says "Even if they're dying they can just leave a message!" :lol:

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 6:34 am

I can not communicate via phone in English. In my native Hungarian it is also an issue but I learned to cope with it. During official phone calls I tend to close my eyes, turn my head down, and smear my temple, eyebrow, eyes, while concentrating on the conversation. I have to gather information before the phone calls so to have something at my hands to communicate. Otherwise thoughts, facts slip out of my mind.

At home I often pace around the room while I speak on my mobile phone. When I'm amongst others, I seek for a room where I can be alone, and shut the door. I always look down during the conversation.

When I speak via the net (Skype) I never use webcam, I feel it would be a burden to me looking "normal" during the call, as I often pull up my legs, close my eyes.

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2011, 6:57 pm

I have always had trouble talking on the phone and can stress about having to make a call for several days leading up to it.

It is hard for me to know when to speak and hard to process what is being said to me.

Surprisingly the best way that I've discovered to make calls for me is to do it while REALLY busy doing something else. Then I have a ready excuse for why I may need something repeated several times, and it works well to distract me from the anxiety. I generally ask all people not to call me, but if it is unavoidable I will make my calls while working or walking.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 7:00 pm

What I hate about phones is that people always expect you to answer them.

No matter what you're doing - eating, pooing, sleeping - people expect you to just drop everything and sprint for the damn phone. Just like doorbells. People think that every time someone rings at my door, I have some sort of legal obligation to open the door and see who's there.

Why?

Why?

Why can't they understand that I have an answerphone FOR A REASON?

I am not a slave to my phone. If I don't feel like being interrupted, I'll ignore it. Even if they ring back. Five times.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 7:14 pm

I do fine with actually talking on the phone, but damn do I for some reason hate picking it up and actually making a call or, to a lesser extent, answering one.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 12:15 am

Autistic and yes, I can't stand it most of the time. Even when I have my computer talking, it's just so much work... I used to use the phone more often, but it's gotten harder and harder.

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2011, 11:34 am

I hate using a phone. I feel anxious if it rings, don't want to answer. Sometimes wait for them to leave a message rather than pick up.
I gave my number the other day and said "don't call me because I don't answer, just text and I'll text you back."
I find it difficult to concentrate on what the other is saying, and I like to stick to the point and end the call.

XLCR
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2011, 12:18 pm

I've decided I'm going to be the last person on the planet without a cell phone. I have no use for them.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

27 Mar 2011, 12:19 pm

Descartes wrote:
I have difficulties with conversation both in person and through the phone. I much prefer texting, mainly because it gives me more time to formulate my thoughts.

This. Whenever I text, the person I'm texting texts back to tell me to use shortcuts (for example, 'u' instead of 'you' or '2' and not 'to').

keerawa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2011, 3:55 pm

I find talking on the phone exhausting. It's real time, but without any of the visual cues I could use in person to tell if I'm being understood, if the person is being sarcastic, etc.

Also, I hate being interrupted by the phone ringing. It puts me in an incredibly foul mood, and then I have to TALK to the person who interrupted me without being rude.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Mar 2011, 4:01 pm

I voted Yes and I am an Aspie. I am not surprised by the results so far. I find the phone awkward. For one thing, we are usually engaged in something like watching TV, eating, or other typical activity...then the phone rings...it is an interruption. And to add to it my social awkwardness, the phone can be a challenge.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Mar 2011, 4:49 pm

I'm glad this poll was posted. I feel like much less of an alien because of my reaction to phones. :)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 5:04 pm

Aspie and No.

I have NO trouble talking on the phone. I'll talk your EAR off. The phone is the perfect monologuing tool.

Listening on the phone is a totally different story. Talk all you want, I won't remember a thing you said. If you really want ME to listen, you're better off putting it writing.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 4:49 pm

I hate it. I often ignore it and dial 1471 (UK service to find out number of last caller). If it was my parents, husband or one of my 2 friends, I'll call back, although I'm only comfortable speaking with my parents and husband on the phone. I used to have a phone phobia, which I've just about got over. It started when I did a summer job in a bank's foreign currency office. When I answered the phone, I had no clue what the person on the other end was needing me to do. They seemed to go on and on and I couldn't work out what the important parts were, to take notes. And I couldn't hear them properly because of all the other noises in the office. That summer still gives me nightmares.